PDA

View Full Version : X... configure: error: Can't find X includes

kruppe
April 3rd, 2005, 01:01 AM
I am trying to ./configure a package after installing all the recommended development tools, packages and gcc I get the folling error:

checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!

The package I'm trying to configure is synce-kde. I eventually installed it with apt-get but would like to know, how to compile from the sources. I'm new to the whole configure, make, make install environment.

Thanks. :wink:

mirtux
April 3rd, 2005, 02:30 PM
Hi,
i think you have also to install these two packages:
x-dev
libx11-dev

maybe just one of the two is enough for your needs but they are quite small packages.

Regards,
MC

Permafrost91
January 8th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I have both packages installed (x-dev and libx11-dev) as well as numerous other x11 dev packages and I still get the Can't find X includes error message when trying to compile a KDE theme. Any ideas about what I am missing (KDE dev files maybe?)

pfarmer
January 11th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Hi,

Try installing kdebase-dev.

HTH

Permafrost91
January 15th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Yes, thank you, that did the trick ... I had realized that earlier but I forgot to edit the post. Thanks for the input though!

no1pointguard
January 30th, 2006, 06:38 PM
i'm having same problem trying to install taskjuggler2.2.0 can anyone help need this to get organised. i'm a newbie so be gentle

snowsquirrel
March 1st, 2006, 02:30 AM
cut and paste the output from ./configure, and I can probably help.

~S

uantuzri
April 23rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
I have the same problem:

checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!

I used apt-get to install kdebase-dev, but some paqueges were not installed:
mesa-common-dev_6.5.0-0ubuntu 1_all.deb
libgl1-mesa-dev_6.5.0-0ubuntu 1_i386.deb
libglu1-mesa-dev_6.5.0-0ubunt u1_i386.deb

I think it is because I have compiz installed and it tries to get these paqueges from the "compiz repositories".

How can I fix this? Is this going to cause any problem with compiz?

Thanks

GarethMB
June 16th, 2006, 12:50 PM
sudo apt-get xlibs-dev

uantuzri
June 17th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Thankyou Gareth, it works!

GarethMB
June 18th, 2006, 08:55 AM
No problems was having the same issue. ;)

BillyChow
July 12th, 2007, 07:30 PM
mark.
:-)

Nebojsa
November 15th, 2007, 02:58 AM
I am having a similar problem trying to install GPS software package called Navit. This is the error I get after I extract the files and execute the ./configure command:
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
checking for X... no
Can not find X

Thanks for your help!!

Nebojsa

Rencipher
July 29th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I have the same problem:

I used apt-get to install kdebase-dev, but some paqueges were not installed:
mesa-common-dev_6.5.0-0ubuntu 1_all.deb
libgl1-mesa-dev_6.5.0-0ubuntu 1_i386.deb
libglu1-mesa-dev_6.5.0-0ubunt u1_i386.deb

I think it is because I have compiz installed and it tries to get these paqueges from the "compiz repositories".

How can I fix this? Is this going to cause any problem with compiz?

Thanks
Hi. Im trying to install kget and even though I've already installed the programs mentioned it still gives me the above error. What might be wrong?

Tikhon03
September 10th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Hi,
I'm having this same problem with my attempts to install "Knights" in Lucid. So far the suggestions have not solved the problem. Are there any further suggestions?

Bachstelze
September 10th, 2010, 11:05 PM
You need xorg-dev.

Tikhon03
September 11th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Thank you Bachstelze, that worked. :)

stevebu56
September 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM
You may want to take a look at
apt-get build-dep It gets all the dependencies of a particular package. This is really handy when building packages from source.

Bachstelze
September 13th, 2010, 10:46 PM
You may want to take a look at 'apt-get build-dep'. It gets all the dependencies of a particular package. This is really handy when building packages from source.

It gets all the dependencies of the package in the Ubuntu repos. If you are compiling from source and using another build configuration, you might need additional dependencies and/or find that build-dep installs some you don't need. I personally never use it, I like to track my dependencies myself.

santok
March 31st, 2011, 03:16 AM
hi guys, i have same problem too. installaed NS-allinone-2.34 on my ubuntu 10.10.
here the last report from installation

checking for X11 header files
checking for X11 header files
can't find X includes
otcl-1.13 configuration failed! Exiting ...