PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Use Both Dvorak and Qwerty - log in using either

graigsmith
May 1st, 2005, 11:22 PM
this requires editing your xorg.conf file. after you do this, you will be able to log into gnome using EITHER qwerty or dvorak :)

you will probably already have this option

Option "XkbLayout" "dvorak" OR
Option "XkbLayout" "us"

change it to this.

Option "XkbLayout" "dvorak,us"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:shift_toggle"

Once you do that, restart x using ctrl-alt-backspace.. now when the gnome login screen comes up, you can hit both shift keys to change keyboard layouts. that way anyone who doesn't know dvorak, can still log into your computer, without the stress of trying to figure out how to type their name. :)

Domhnull
May 1st, 2005, 11:41 PM
Thanks, I was able to use dvorak fine once logged in but didn't know how to change it so it was dvorak on the login screen.

N'Jal
May 1st, 2005, 11:45 PM
Are you using Warty coz i had this problem on warty where QWERTY was used by default and i didn't know how to alter it. However since upgrading to hoary i have been able to use DVORAK at the login prompt fine.

It's this and having to use QWERTY at college that my brain is trained to use both layouts >_<

Not good not good not good

graigsmith
May 2nd, 2005, 03:28 AM
N'jal, nope im using hoary.

Domhnull
May 2nd, 2005, 03:33 PM
Also on Hoary, but the edit worked just great. I did get a message after rebooting that my x and gnome settings were different and it asked which I wanted to use. But it works great.

graigsmith
May 2nd, 2005, 06:29 PM
Also on Hoary, but the edit worked just great. I did get a message after rebooting that my x and gnome settings were different and it asked which I wanted to use. But it works great.
oh yeah, just pick use gnome settings. and dont ask this question again. and it never pops up again.

hanzj
October 16th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:shift_toggle"

Graig, where'd you learn about this shift_toggle thingy?

Robtastic84
October 20th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Is there a way to do this once in ubuntu. Its nice to have it at the log in screen but in the OS would be way better.

total wormage
October 20th, 2006, 12:15 PM
thanks a lot! i always had to think really hard to get my password correct using qwerty on a dvorak keyboard, this helps! :biggrin:

alexmoon
September 30th, 2007, 03:07 AM
I accidentally picked "x settings" instead of gnome settings, and now it doesn't seem to be working. How can I reverse this?

(Also: thanks for the advice, it's been really useful for me. I use it for flipping between dvorak and a greek layout for greek lessons. Only problem is that my greek keyboard disappeared and now I can't get it back - whenever I press the shift keys...nothing happens, it just stays in dvorak.)

carloslosgrande
December 14th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Just saw this, works great! Thanks Craigsmith:)