PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Automatically play CDs and DVD when inserted.

Perfect Storm
October 16th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Tested with x86 Dapper, Edgy, Feisty and Gutsy

Here's a little HOWTO, but nevertheless a helpful one for automatically play your Music CDs and your DVD movies when they are inserted.

First go to System tab ---> Preferences ---> Removable Drives and Media
Or by command:

gnome-volume-properties
Now switch to Multimedia tab in Removable Drives and Media.

Music Player

In the Audio CD Disc write this in the commandline box:

Xmms

xmms -p /media/cdrom

Beep Media Player (bmp)

beep-media-player -p /media/cdrom

Audacious

audacious -p /media/cdrom

Movie Player

In the Video DVD Disc write this in the commandline box:

VLC

wxvlc dvd:///dev/dvd

Mplayer

gmplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/dvd

Now you can insert your Music Cds and DVDs and it startsup automatically. You might change it a little bit if you got multiply CD/DVD.
A logout may be needed before it can take effect.

XDevHald
October 16th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Howto tested, and works like a charm, great job AI :D

Perfect Storm
October 16th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks, bro ^^

bionnaki
October 22nd, 2005, 09:52 AM
I use bmp for music & gxine for movies. can I use these instead?

Perfect Storm
October 22nd, 2005, 08:35 PM
I don't use any of these multi-media, but I guess bmp will work, dunno about xine.

kazuya
November 1st, 2005, 04:23 PM
awesome. note to self. Must try this out.

maxdevis
January 29th, 2006, 06:45 PM
it doesn't work with me
:(

when i put this wxvlc dvd:///dev/dvd in a terminal, it starts playing, but when i just insert a disk, it doesn't play?

Perfect Storm
February 2nd, 2006, 05:05 PM
update: added beep media player

Perfect Storm
February 25th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Updated:
Rewritten the howto.
Added Mplayer to autoplay.

Perfect Storm
February 25th, 2006, 12:25 PM
it doesn't work with me
:(

when i put this wxvlc dvd:///dev/dvd in a terminal, it starts playing, but when i just insert a disk, it doesn't play?

You need to logout and login before it works.

mrgnash
February 26th, 2006, 05:27 AM
I'd actually like to know how to turn this OFF under KDE. It loads Totem which promptly crashes and bombs out the sound system.

Perfect Storm
February 26th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Sorry, I don't use KDE so I can't help you there. But I'm 100 % sure that it can be done and also it's possible to change default DVD/CD player in KDE.

snooze
February 26th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the tip, A.I.
It's funny, but I never even looked at 'Removable Drives and Media' before.
Since you pointed it out, I'm now using k3b to auto-start when inserting blank DVD's.

Thanks again:)

ekeefe41
July 29th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Anyone know how to do this in Xubuntu. There seem to be no settings for.

System tab ---> Preferences ---> Removable Drives and Media

Is there anything in comand line i can enter to change this setting?

oyvindaa
September 10th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I use bmp for music & gxine for movies. can I use these instead?

You've probably sorted this by now, but in case someone else is wondering:

To autostart gxine when inserting a DVD:

gxine dvd:///dev/dvd

I'm not sure why, but gxine is the only media player that plays DVDs properly on my laptop. On some, the sound is bad, on others the graphic lags.

Perfect Storm
November 24th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Howto updated, added Audacious to the list.

Perfect Storm
May 1st, 2007, 06:19 PM
Updated and tested in Feisty.

schaumkeks
December 26th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Nice HOWTO. It would get even better if you replace the device nodes with the special parameter %d to make this work in a more general way, e.g.:

gxine dvd://%d
This is useful for additonal external drives which cannot be accessed with /dev/dvd or /dev/cdrom.
I really miss the explanation of these special parameters in the dialog...
* %d means device node name,
* %m means mount point name,
* %h means HAL UDI.

Bye, Sven

Wikzo
May 12th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Can't find the Movie and DVD tab in Hardy Heron. Where is it?

Perfect Storm
May 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I don't know, I think it's replaced by something else. But that "something" I simple can't find/figure out.

schaumkeks
May 12th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Why oh why did they do that???
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=713724

Please don't mess with the system as they do in this thread (change .desktop files or delete binaries from /usr/bin). You can alway override things with files in the /usr/local path.

Perfect Storm
May 12th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Well, it says now it's under preferences in nautilus instead. Strange place to put it.

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/119697/0/nautiluspreferences-pre-pre.png (http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/119695/0/nautiluspreferences.png)
click to enlarge

schaumkeks
May 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Strange indeed.
And because there are not many applications that are already shipped with a desktop file for the new mime types, we have to do some manual work.

An easy approach with VLC as player for Video-DVDs without messing with any existing system files (I've seen some cruel hacks in the forums) would be the following:

1. Create an alternative launcher for VLC
A: (system wide) in the systems overlay directory (different name or we would override the original):

$ sudo cp /usr/share/applications/vlc.desktop /usr/local/share/applications/vlc_video-dvd.desktop
OR
B: (per user) in the users overlay directory

$ cp /usr/share/applications/vlc.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/vlc_video-dvd.desktop

2. Edit the copied file (with sudo nano or your preferred editor):
A:
$ sudo nano /usr/local/share/applications/vlc_video-dvd.desktop
OR
B:
$ sudo nano ~/.local/share/applications/vlc_video-dvd.desktop
and add or change the following entries:

3. Change command:

Exec=vlc %f

4. With this line VLC appears in the Video-DVD list in nautilus preferences:

MimeType=x-content/video-dvd;

5. Hide the entry from the applications menu:

NoDisplay=true

6. (Only necessary if the system wide approach 1A has been done) Update the desktop-database to make the entry visible:

$sudo update-desktop-database

Bye, schaumkeks

Perfect Storm
May 12th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Going to play around a little bit with this. Most multimedia application I compile for myself on Ubuntu. So I have to make a eg. vlc.desktop file from scratch...

Thanks, schaumkeks.

(and no thanks to the gnome devs to make it a bit tat difficult)

Lantesh
May 16th, 2008, 07:52 PM
schaumkeks, thank you so much. Your solution worked like a charm. I was scratching my head the last two days trying to figure out how to fix this. I can't believe they took away the ability to simply enter a custom command. Oh well problem solved. Thanks again.

DancemasterGlenn
May 25th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for helping me get Audacious to play cds a long time ago (when I first stumbled across this thread). Unfortunately, the command broke a few releases later... Now inserting a cd just opens audacious, with no playback (or even adding the cd to the playlist). Suffice it to say, I don't believe -p works anymore (even though it still shows up as "play" when I type 'audacious --help' in terminal). I gave up on this a while back, but I came through here again and was wondering if you had any ideas on the matter? Thanks for your time.

Perfect Storm
May 25th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I havn't been able to do it. I can single out a track on a CD with -p but then I have to give it full path plus name to that file on the CD.

DancemasterGlenn
May 25th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Hm. Lame. I tried to get some clarification at the audacious forums while they were still up, but nothing ever came of it. Thanks for your response. If I find out how to make it work at some point I'll post it up here.

schaumkeks
May 25th, 2008, 10:16 AM
CD-Audio autostart with audacious seems to be impossible due to missing commandline options (typical GUI application). The cdaudio-ng plugin added support for cdda urls, but only for single tracks and this feature seems to be broken atm anyway.
see http://hg.atheme.org/audacious-plugins/log/32d4d5f7020b/src/cdaudio-ng/cdaudio-ng.c
Additionally, this won't work for multiple devices.
The GUI way, selecting "Plugin Services -> Add CD" from the context menu is available but useless for autostart and you can't explicitly choose a device (has to be changed in the plugin configuration).

DancemasterGlenn
May 25th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I figured as much... that newer plugin gave me nothing but trouble. I couldn't even figure out how to make cddb work for a long time (though that might have been a problem with the plugin itself). Sometimes I think about switching back to the 1.3 release, even though I know they've fixed a lot of bugs since then. Oh well.

oddsock
July 15th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks schaumkeks!

That method worked for me. I short cut it a little, just adding x-content/video-dvd; to the mimetypes list in the existing vlc.desktop gets vlc into the menu choices. But without changing the "exec=vlc %U" to "exec vlc %f" when I insert a dvd vlc opens but isn't responsive.

Can you tell me what the %f vs %U does? or where I can find out?

schaumkeks
July 15th, 2008, 03:16 PM
That method worked for me. I short cut it a little, just adding x-content/video-dvd; to the mimetypes list in the existing vlc.desktop gets vlc into the menu choices. But without changing the "exec=vlc %U" to "exec vlc %f" when I insert a dvd vlc opens but isn't responsive.

Can you tell me what the %f vs %U does? or where I can find out?

The available placeholders are described in the desktop entry specification (http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s06.html). Only %u and %f and their uppercase versions are important for our needs. While %u/%U provides a URL/list of URLs, %f/%F provides a file path.

For (Video-)DVDs the placeholders are replaced like this (example):
%u - file:///media/cdrom0
%f - /media/cdrom0

While testing I found out, that vlc does not play the DVD if you pass the URL form. The %f placeholder works, so we have to use a seperate desktop file for this special purpose. Changing the original one is not recommended (it never is, believe me) as you might break already working things.

A better way for DVD access would be to call vlc with the device name (e.g., /dev/scd0), but such a placeholder does not exist.

oddsock
July 17th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Ah, so by changing the placeholder in the orginal I might be breaking something that requires a url rather than a file to be passed in. Yeah, the url form in a terminal makes vlc act very strange for my dvds.

Thanks for the info, and the link.

ChrisC
July 20th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Hi all -

I've got a completely vanilla install of Hardy/8.04. With my Dapper/6.06 install I forked off in all sorts of directions with the media apps and ultimately I couldn't get anything to work.

This time I'm trying to stay with default applications as long as I can, which in this case means trying to get this to work with Rhythmbox.

So, can someone tell me how to get Rhythmbox to start playing a music CD right away? I already have the Nautilus -> Prefs -> Media set to OPEN Rhythmbox, it's just not autoplaying.

schaumkeks
July 21st, 2008, 06:56 PM
So, can someone tell me how to get Rhythmbox to start playing a music CD right away? I already have the Nautilus -> Prefs -> Media set to OPEN Rhythmbox, it's just not autoplaying.

There is no autoplay option for the rhythmbox command. Rhythmbox instances are controlled with the rhythmbox-client command which has the --play-uri=URI option. But this is buggy (plays tracks in playing queue if not empty instead of URI) and won't help in this case. Have a look at the (unrecommended) hack at https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+question/20170.

jmjohn
August 4th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your posts.

In Hardy Heron 8.04, When I navigate to System-> Prefereces -> Removable Drives and Media, I find no "Media" or "Multimedia" tab that I could change the DVD autoplayer in.

I know what code I want to run when I insert a DVD ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=243812 ) but where do I put it?

Thanks much,
-glass.dimly

cenhfan
August 15th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Same problem here, the tab jmjohn mentioned seems to be missing in kde 4.1...

Is there some other way?

Thanks,
Timo

mwclark4453
August 22nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
Ditto on the last two posts. I'm not seeing MultiMedia tab under the System-> Preferences -> Removable Drivers and Media.

I've just got Cameras, PDAs, Printers & Scanners, and Input Devices tabs.

I checked Synaptic to see if I might be missing a package but didn't notice anything with the search of "volume manager".

I am getting RhythmBox up when I plug my iPod in so there is an association but I haven't found the conf file that contains it yet. Thought I would try the GUI first.

Gourgi
August 22nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Ditto on the last two posts. I'm not seeing MultiMedia tab under the System-> Preferences -> Removable Drivers and Media.

RUN from command line or Alt+F2
gnome-volume-properties

graabein
August 27th, 2008, 05:52 PM
RUN from command line or Alt+F2
gnome-volume-properties

That brings up the same dialogbox but I can't see a tab for (multi)media either. I've got Cameras, PDAs, Printers & Scanners and Input Devices.

I want to stop GNOME Music Player from autostarting when I insert audio CD's BTW.

TheTank
August 27th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the guide AI.

I have a question and I hope it is not to far OT but is there some kind of system hook that is called when a CD or DVD or whatever is inserted?

I am wondering because I'd like to do certain stuff in this case and it might also be interesting for people who do not use a GUI or this GUI.

Thanks again.

Perfect Storm
August 28th, 2008, 06:46 AM
That brings up the same dialogbox but I can't see a tab for (multi)media either. I've got Cameras, PDAs, Printers & Scanners and Input Devices.

I want to stop GNOME Music Player from autostarting when I insert audio CD's BTW.

It's moved to Nautilus.

Swynndla
October 1st, 2008, 12:47 AM
Same problem here, the tab jmjohn mentioned seems to be missing in kde 4.1...

Is there some other way?

Thanks,
Timo

I got it working under KDE by following the instructions here (http://www.kde-forum.org/artikel/15286/howto-auto-play-dvd-in-xine-with-kde.html)