Thread: Installing Truecrypt 4.2 on Ubuntu 6.06

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Installing Truecrypt 4.2 on Ubuntu 6.06

How can I create a truecrypt volume?

Beans

One of the new features of version 4.2 is the following: [URL="http://www.truecrypt.org/user-guide/?s=version-history"]

The build.sh script can now perform automatic configuration of the Linux kernel source code, which is necessary in order to compile TrueCrypt on Linux. Note that this works only if the installed version of the kernel enables/supports it.

This means that you don't have to follow step 8 of the how to, which (as is my experience with version 4.1) a bit of a hassle. I succesfully compiled Truecrypt 4.2 under Dapper this way. I,m not sure if it is necessary to follow steps 6 and 7 of the how to: I didn't but, I had gcc-4.0 installed already.

During the running of the install-script you're asked where to install the binaries and the man pages. I set this to /usr/bin and /usr/share/man.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

If somebody could please explain to me what is holding back Truecrypt, or the Ubuntu community, from building a deb install package to greatly simplify all of this I would greatly appreciate it. With the increasing use of portable media, primarily USB media, the need for encryption is ever increasing just the same.

Or perhaps, is there an alternative software application out there that works on multiple platforms, such as Truecrypt, that would work better?

I appreciate your time guys....
    Last edited by kabronkline; June 22nd, 2006 at 02:59 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kabronkline
    7. So we need gcc 4.0 (subversion 4.0.x is not important). Install it by running the following command:
    [/B]
    Isn't gcc 4.0 already installed as a dependency of the meta-package build-essential?

Great how-to by the way, no I know what to do with my weekend

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yes, GCC 4.0 is included with Ubuntu 6.06; however, the original HowTo I used for Ubuntu 5.10 had this step included, so I just updated the steps as-per that guide. However, it doesn't break anything even if you have GCC 4 installed and thus I decided to include it just incase there were any potential situations where GCC isn't installed (if that's even possible?).

...Just taking a stab at it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alaaji
    I'm having trouble with truecrypt too. I had it working under Breezy but now I can't get it to work under Dapper. I get this message once I enter the password for my encrypted volume:

FATAL: Error inserting truecrypt (/lib/modules/2.6.15-25-686/extra/truecrypt.ko): Invalid module format
    truecrypt: Failed to load TrueCrypt kernel module

Does it have anything to do with me using the 686 kernel now?
    Recompile & reinstall truecrypt, if you change your kernel version. It's pretty straightforward.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbudden
    How can I create a truecrypt volume?
    Code:
    truecrypt -c
    would start new volume creation "wizzard"*.

more info in the manual page or at http://www.truecrypt.org/user-guide/linux-manpage.php

* it's cli and there are no "NEXT" buttons, could it be called wizzard?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs up Re: Installing Truecrypt 4.2 on Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by dilidon
    Thanks for the recommendation. That's however the puzzling part. I thought I had them and the command confirms this by saying "linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386 is already the newest version."
    Removed them and reinstalled them, but that was of little help.
    Thanks kabronkline and w00d77, for the guide and for thinking along. I wanted to give it one last try before reinstalling Windows XP only to get my documents out of my containers. And I found a solution to my problem. I will post it here a) for the Howto and b) for someone else, who might be experienceing this. Its one of those moments when you are happy that you've studied languages and your Internet is not only confined to your own and then English language.
    As usual, I did do everything by the book, but stumbled across one of those numerous building and installing problems that will keep driving beginning people away from Ubuntu (or any other distro). The solution is easy but no newbie will ever come up with this kind of a solution.
    I found the solution from http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/TrueCrypt. Search for "Fehlerbehandlung" on the page and its quite self evident. What was needed was to edit the build.sh file and replace
    Code:
    KERNEL_SRC=/usr/src/linux-$(uname -r)
    with
    Code:
    KERNEL_SRC=/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15
    After that it took only a few moments to get things up and running. Got some other erros from install.sh, which were probably permissions related, but these were in human language so it was easy to find their causes and correct them.

Just a general remark or question. Why do these things happen? I mean, yes, the solution, once found, is easy. But no newbie will ever look for this. I really want to stay with Ubuntu, but things like this little problem shouldn't even happen, if it's gonna be "Linux for Human Beings". These kinds of bulding problems are quite frustrating for those starting up - you follow every comma in every howto, and still, you are out of luck. You learn bit by bit, but still. If you work in a non-computer-related field then the amount of time you can devote to understanding kernel compilation and similar will forever be limited. So, you go: Requirements? Check. Sources and headers? Check. And then... somewhere in fine print it's written that "oh, and then, in case its raining, edit the files in this and this manner". I'm not whining, really. I'm really greatful to all of those devoting their time to guides and howto-s and tips, I'm just curious whats the underlying cause if these little problems that will keep scaring off a significant bunch of beginners. Is this simply the moment when you say that "there is no such thing as a free lunch" after all?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by jvl
    Code:
    truecrypt -c
    would start new volume creation "wizzard"*.

more info in the manual page or at http://www.truecrypt.org/user-guide/linux-manpage.php

* it's cli and there are no "NEXT" buttons, could it be called wizzard?
    Why thank you!

Beans

Arrow Re: encfs as an alternative

Hi,

I found encfs, it does not work for windows, but in dapper it is really easy to install and use:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/encryption_w..._and_pam-encfs

apt-get and no need for recompiling the kernel after each upgrade.

richard

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast