Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOWTO: Spellcheck in Firefox [Spellbound extension]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: Spellcheck in Firefox [Spellbound extension]

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer
    spellbound did indeed install fine. it's in the list of extensions. but it's not finding the dictionary.

i did indeed try what you suggested in post 3, but as i mentioned before, the dictionary already appears in my .../components/myspell folder.

edit to add: the myspell dictionary for english is already installed on my machine. but just for good measure, i removed the contents of /components/myspell and created symbolic links as you suggested in post 3. still no joy
    To get around the issues I also had with Spellbound/Dictionaries, I log on as root (not "sudo") to install both in my root Firefox, then select the dictionary in Spellbound (and test).

Then I log out of root, log in as my normal user and repeat the process, all seems to work ok when I do this.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

actually i tried that earlier. i did it again, but there are problems then too. the spellbound function appears when i right click now, but it lables everything as misspelled and no suggested corrections.

when i checked the options for spellbound, the english dictionary was selected.
    Last edited by dmizer; May 14th, 2006 at 10:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro

i really need to get this fixed, my spelling is absolutely terrible. lol

why exactly is this plugin requiring so many hoops? what does it need as far as permissions such that it will only (sometimes) install via root?

Beans
    Distro

i believe my issue was fairly unique. here's the deal:

i have been using firefox for ages now, and as such, i have it customized exactly to my taste. so when i installed 1.5 in breezy, i just carried over the firefox folder from windows, renamed it .mozilla. this worked for most of my extensions no problem. but spellbound did not install (a small asside note, i needed to remove and reinstall forecast fox at that time too).

anyway ... carying this folder over from windows must have had something to do with my hangup because once i decided to try this technique in a fresh install on the same machine, it worked fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down

Hi All,
    Thank You Fass, I was just searching Ffox for this - and then found your help.
    Did you know, Ffox doesn't have this in it's extentions & search? Makes me wonder!
    I'm kinda still a newbie here...but, let me throw this out.
    When I installed Ubuntu {each 10 or 20 time}, I got Ffox from the Ffox homepage & threw it in my /opt folder,-
    using the 'HowTo' from here, and I also adjusted permissions for ease of use, as I'm the only user- here.
    With that, I have no: /usr/lib/firefox/components/ , cause I ditched the old version, that came with Ubuntu.
    ~*This is not a problem- just some different info, for your HowTo.*~
    My first question about starting your instructs is with the code.
    If you would describe what the " -H firefox ", is for, in more detail, it would do more of teaching me [and others?]
    something, it would help me understand - what i'm doing & what 'IT'S' doing.
    = with my Ff in /opt , I didn't do that step =
    Loading the nightly build extention- again, was a help, and your link to SpellBounds page ~ a Big Thanks !
    Thats pretty much all I needed, already having Ffox in my /opt folder !
    For those who can load it this way ~ It may relieve some pain... tho, I would
    keep your instructs- if ever on a more multi-user system.
    Thanks for helping me correct my sh*tty grammer ~ easilier!!!! =D>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by stanz
    If you would describe what the " -H firefox ", is for, in more detail, it would do more of teaching me [and others?]
    The "-H" switch makes sudo set the HOME environment variable to the home directory of the target user, in our case root, meaning that when you run "sudo -H firefox" it will understand to put all extensions and config files in /root and not in your user's home directory.

A good place to find out what different switches do (or to find out what switches you can use for a particular programme/command) are the man pages.

Beans

Here's a simple way that I found to install SpellBound (I hate Aspell!) on my Ubuntu 6.06 Firefox 1.5 browser (Thanks to Ubuntu Linux Blog by Ralph for this info):

First off, go HERE(Warning! This is a direct download link) and install the SpellBound development version into your Firefox browser using the regular Extension Manager method.

Next, go to Dictionaries for Mozilla at the Mozdev site and Right click --> Save Link As on your dictionary of choice to download it to your favorite download location on your system... desktop, my_downloads directory, etc.

Now, close your FF browser and open the Terminal. Use the following command to launch FF again:

Code:
    $ gksudo firefox
    An un-customized version (root) of Firefox will open. That's fine. That's what it's supposed to do. In the browser, go to File --> Open File... --> and point it to your dictionary package that you just downloaded in the previous step here. The FF Extension Manager will pop up and ask you if you want to install the dictionary. Click "Install". Once this is finished, shut down the browser and exit the Terminal.

Restart FF using your usual launcher (shortcut). Open a text posting area here at these forums or anywhere and type this word... "Testign" (purposely mis-spelled), then Right click --> Check Spelling. When the SpellBound window opens, the word testign will be in the window, but no suggestions will be visible. This is because you have to choose the dictionary the extension should use.

At the bottom left of the SpellBound window you'll see "Language" --> Download More. Click to activate the pulldown menu and you should see your dictionary that you installed just a few moments ago. Choose it. Your SpellBound extension will now function normally. You can set your preferences for SpellBound in the Extension Manager: Tools --> Extensions.

Also note: SpellBound development build will work fine in ThunderBird too. All you have to do to get it to work with TB is download the development package and the dictionary of choice and then manually install them using TB's Extension Manager.

This method was pretty simple (I'm a Linux newbie) to me. It worked like a charm on my system.

Hope this was helpful to you.

Regards,

~Eric
    V. T. Eric Layton
    Registered Linux User #423757
    Registered Machines: #336848, #427356

Central Routing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12