Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Compiling and Installing WineCVS with WineTools

Beans

Post HOWTO: Compiling and Installing WineCVS with WineTools

Alright, well, i've tried the latest Wine CVS and winetools and I have to say i'm impressed, wine is not too far behind Cedega and I think in the next year Wine might take the step ahead of them. Granted, they deserve to be ahead, they are the creators and Transgaming kind of stole their project and are hogging it for themselves.

So I present to you all, a howto on how to install the latest Wine CVS, installing wine tools and getting everything you'll need for the road.

1) Getting The Development Libraries to compile wine:

We also need a few development libs to compliment this:

xlibs-dev will allow you to compile wine with x support, the reason behind why most compilations of wine fail under Ubuntu.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xlibs-dev

If you want OpenGL support, don't forget to get these libs here:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xlibmesa-glu-dev
    Heres two other packages that will make it so wine compiles, and are required during the wine compilation, these are the bison and flex packages.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install bison flex
    This package here is for winetools, i'll explain this later on.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgtk-1.2 libgtk-1.2-common
    And lastly, we need to get the cvs package to even be able to grab the cvs streight from winehq.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install cvs
    --

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Compiling and Installing WineCVS with WineTools

--
    2) Getting the Wine CVS

Now we need to pop up a terminal, and lets make a cvs directory. You can do this wherever, but I strongly recommend having one for organization purposes.

Code:
    mkdir cvs
    Lets go to it now.

Code:
    cd cvs
    Now, that we are in our cvs directory, and have the right packages, lets connect to the wine cvs now.

There are two servers, a US server, and a Europe server, if you are in the U.S. follow the U.S. howto under here on how to connect to the cvs, if you are in Europe, then do the same for the Europe connection.

To be able to connect, you must type these on your command line and when you connect, it will not say anything, do not be worried

How to Connect to the Wine U.S. CVS Server:

Code:
    export CVSROOT=:pserver:cvs@cvs.winehq.org:/home/wine
    How to Connect to the Wine Europe Server:

Code:
    export CVSROOT=:pserver:cvs@rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de:/home/wine
    Now that we have connected to it, now its time to login

Code:
    cvs login
    the password has and always will be cvs for their cvs login.

Now that you are logged in, its time to download the wine cvs.

Code:
    cvs -z 0 checkout wine
    Now it will start downloading a bunch of stuff, depending on your connection will depend on how long it will take, this is about 40 megabytes.

--

Beans

--
    3) Compiling and installing Wine

Now that we have our wine cvs here now, we need to compile it, lets go to your new wine directory inside your cvs directory.

Code:
    cd wine
    Now, we need to compile this baby, this is the longest part but the easiest hehe..

Code:
    ./tools/wineinstall
    Now it will start the configure script and will ask you a question at the end of the script about logging into root to install wine, just say yes, and let it rock. It will take quite a while, i'm running a AMD 64 3200+ overclocked at 2.3 ghz and it took me about 20 minutes. On my 900 mhz AMD Athlon it took me approx. 50 minutes. So be patient, watch some tv or something.

Ahh, we have the latest version of wine cvs now compiled, but to install it, ahh wait, it says here to login to root, lets say yes

Now it will install the stuff, does not take long a minute or two, and then it will ask you a question about adding in the default wine config at .wine/config

Lets say no. We are going to do something more interesting today kids.

--

Beans

--
    4) Installing Winetools

Now, for the fun stuff, finally! right? hehe , lets go download winetools, here is the url:

But Before I give you the url, we should just get all linuxy and use wget, screw the browsers , in your home directory just make a temp directory since this directory won't be here very long....

Code:
    mkdir temp
    Lets go to it now.

Code:
    cd ./temp
    And finally, lets download the winetools.

Code:
    wget http://home.comcast.net/~themachinez/wine/winetools/winetools-211jo.tar.gz
    This you may notice is off my personal webstorage, why did I do this? Because my links will never die , anyways lets start on installing this beast.

Lets extract the new tar.gz file now.

Code:
    tar -xzf winetools-211jo.tar.gz
    It should had created a new directory called winetools, lets go to it now

Code:
    cd winetools
    To install it, its simple.

Code:
    sudo sh install.sh
    Now its in, thank god right? hehe, lets get out of this temp directory, if you followed my step, just do this.

Code:
    cd ..
    One more time.

Code:
    cd ..
    And now, its time to remove the temp directory to cleanup our mess.

Code:
    rm -rf temp
    Cleaned, just like that, hehe, well anyway lets rock n roll with winetools.

On your command line, just type wt2 and it should come right up saying something about you using a different version of wine that is not recommended, just click ok, don't worry about that

The GPL License for the software, and the creator, email him if you want and tell him how awesome his winetools are

Just click ok after the intro and now you should see the menu with base setup and all the good stuff we want. Lets start with base setup.

Since we did not create a wine config through the wine install script, which I told you to do this for a reason , and if you didn't follow my instructions, no big deal, we can remove it here, just pop up a terminal and type:

Code:
    rm -rf .wine
    Done, but if you did follow my instructions, lets continue.

Create a fake windows drive is the first one

It should create everything for you, and don't worry if you see any errors through your time in winetools don't worry about it.

Next up is DCOM98 and you're probably asking me, why not install the fonts? Reason why, is because the links are dead to the fonts from winetools, it will just hang, try it if you do not believe me hehe, anyways, install DCOM98.

After DCOM98 is installed, it'll go through its regular routine of shutting down wine after its installed and doing a simulated windows reboot. Next up is Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1, just download it for the language you want. And it will install.

After its done, go back to the main menu.

Now lets install windows system software, install it in this order:

Windows Installer
    Microsoft Foundation Classes 4.0
    Visual Basic 5 Runtime
    Visual Basic 6 Runtime
    Visual C++ run-time English -- or german if you are german.
    MDAC 2.8 English -- or german if you once again german
    Jet 4.0 SP8 English -- Or german if you have german blood!
    Windows Script 5.6 English -- Or German if you can drink 50 gallons of beer and still not pass out.

HTML Help Update Package
    Common Controls 5.0

Now that you have them all installed, lets go back to the main menu.

Lets exit...

Now what!? What about our great fonts? Yeah yeah... Lets move onto fonts...

--
    Last edited by Vaego; June 17th, 2005 at 05:14 AM.

Beans

--
    5) Installing Windows Fonts

Now that we have our wine pretty much setup now, we need fonts. I have all the windows fonts you will need uploaded to my storage. I recommend doing this from the command line.

Lets make another temp directory first.

Code:
    mkdir temp
    Now go there.

Code:
    cd temp
    Download the fonts.

Code:
    wget http://home.comcast.net/~themachinez/wine/fonts/winfonts.tar.gz
    Now extract the fonts

Code:
    tar -xzf winfonts.tar.gz
    time to install them all one by one. I also want to remind everyone, do not install the andale32.exe it fails on wine for some reason, but you can try it if you want.

To install them you will need to do this:

Code:
    wine arial32.exe
    That will come up with a menu, just click ok then it will install it then it will say the font has been successfully installed. Do this with the rest of them.

wine then the name of the font executable.

When you are done, I am proud to say, you have a full blown wine install with the latest cvs, was it that hard? No, just time consuming and it looks longer than it really is because I talked too much on the HOWTO
    Last edited by Vaego; June 17th, 2005 at 05:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Very nice! I was able to follow it through with no trouble, except IE6 took a few run-throughs to download completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

best tutorial evar! thanks for doing this.
    All my posts are 97% Dolphin safe

Beans

Great tutorial, however I have a question regarding the "sudo apt-get install xlibmesa-glu-dev" this would seem to be a dev package for the Mesa drivers. What if you have installed the ATI drivers? does this still apply?

TIA, a new Ubuntu user
    zPacKRat

Quote Originally Posted by Vaego
    --
    5) Installing Windows Fonts

Now that we have our wine pretty much setup now, we need fonts. I have all the windows fonts you will need uploaded to my storage. I recommend doing this from the command line.

Lets make another temp directory first.

Code:
    mkdir temp
    Now go there.

Code:
    cd temp
    Download the fonts.

Code:
    wget http://home.comcast.net/~vaego/wine/fonts/winfonts.tar.gz
    Now extract the fonts

Code:
    tar -xzf winfonts.tar.gz
    time to install them all one by one. I also want to remind everyone, do not install the andale32.exe it fails on wine for some reason, but you can try it if you want.

To install them you will need to do this:

Code:
    wine arial32.exe
    That will come up with a menu, just click ok then it will install it then it will say the font has been successfully installed. Do this with the rest of them.

wine then the name of the font executable.

When you are done, I am proud to say, you have a full blown wine install with the latest cvs, was it that hard? No, just time consuming and it looks longer than it really is because I talked too much on the HOWTO
    Why do you recommend the fonts from the command line? Works fine from WineTools here..

Beans

Great How-to. I'm working my way through it with interest. Some minor points that could trip up unwary noobs, though - I suggest you edit the original post.

1. Two packages are incorrectly named above - it's libgtk1.2 and libgtk1.2-common
    2. On a fresh ubuntu installation, you also need the buildessential package
    3. The run as root bit presupposes that you have a root password - which you don't by default in Hoary. I had to copy the failed command that was reported to me and paste it with sudo.
    4. Before running wineinstall, I had to change the permissions on one file, thus: sudo chmod a+w /etc/ld.so.conf, and return it to its former state afterwards
    5. Before running wineinstall, I had to backup one file: sudo mv /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a.old
    Last edited by jonny; April 27th, 2005 at 11:45 PM.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast