Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridging Ubuntu. Ideas for communications between devs and users

Re: Bridging Ubuntu. Ideas for communications between devs and users

Quote Originally Posted by PriceChild View Post
    The problem with the mailing list though is that its not very user friendly, to me atleast.

What is the difference between a mailing list, and just having your ubuntuforums.org account set to notify you by email of all topics in a certain container? Its a hell of a lot easier to manage. I think the only reason dev mailing lists are still used and not overwhelmed is because most are too scared to try them.

Pricey
    I totally disagree w/ this comment, especially the last paragraph. Heck the only reason I visit the forum is when something comes up on one of the many mailing lists I subscribe to that I want to read more information about. I currently subscribe and participate in kubuntu-devel, kubuntu-users, launchpad, laptop-testing, ubuntu-doc along w/ subscribing to dapper-changes, edgy-changes, and ubuntu-announcmenet. I also spend time in #ubuntu-doc, #ubuntu-bugs, #kubuntu-devel

I live in email and don't have the time to open soemthing else up and track/reply to other forums and questions when I can simply read my email or chat in IRC. I am not afraid of the forums, its just they are more unfriendly then the email lists and the IRC channels as those are what I use every day for work.

Beans

meh fact of the matter is, different people are used to different things. pricechild would probably never dream of being able to keep up with a mailing list whereas you probably think that forums are a pain in the a*s. to each his own. the ambassador method is just a nice solution we will implement to get more ideas from the forum to the devels.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserJock View Post
    Along those lines, there is only 1 subforum for development. It's really hard to find things in there or keep track of without eating up a bunch of time. Adding subject categories to the development forums would help I think. I think a lot of forum users' approach the the forum is to go to a subforum and run through the list of new threads. A dev will want do that in a much more narrow focus I think and will want to get the desired info quickly.

-LaserJock
    +1 for Laser, I think this would be helpful a lot. Instead of trying to dig through all of the forums, be able to scan the area you are quasi responsible for. If you are working on desktop devel, then under the desktop devel section, etc...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    meh fact of the matter is, different people are used to different things. pricechild would probably never dream of being able to keep up with a mailing list whereas you probably think that forums are a pain in the a*s. to each his own. the ambassador method is just a nice solution we will implement to get more ideas from the forum to the devels.
    He he yeah i suppose it is a matter of opinion.

I do subscribe to ubuntu-uk's mailing list and comment whenever i've anything to offer, i just like the way the forums are central and take almost everything in their scope.

I suppose we are getting slightly off topic now...
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans

*bumping for increased visibility*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I attended UDS Paris and I talked about improving the integration and communication between the forums and the rest of the community.

Yesterday I wrote this blog post :

About Forum Integration
    http://ubuntudemon.wordpress.com/200...m-integration/

I just discovered this thread and wiki page. Here's my latest blog post :

Bridging Ubuntu
    http://ubuntudemon.wordpress.com/200...ridging-ubuntu

Both these blogposts are also visible on planet.ubuntu.com.

I encourage forum staff to try to attend UDS Mountain View. I have also requested sponsorship to go myself. Real progress can be made by talking to people in person.

Not only can "forum attendees" talk about forum integration but they can also actively participate in the drafting of the specifications and try to arrange BOF's for subjects they care about and have something useful to say about. Ofcourse there's only limited time for a limited number of BOF's.

This can also be a small part of a "solution" : have more forum staff request Ubuntu Membership and have more of them blogging to planet.ubuntu.com
    Last edited by ubuntu_demon; September 13th, 2006 at 08:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have stickied this thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

UDS Mountain View on the fridge :
    http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/554

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Beans

Alright guys, I have added the Ambassador proposal to the wiki page as requested by peter (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BridgingUbuntu). If i've somehow portrayed the proposal incorrectly, feel free to go over there and correct me. Especially you, aysiu, since this is your little birthchild.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast