Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: NetworkManager with LEAP support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HOWTO: NetworkManager with LEAP support

I am guessing it is going to be a looong time before it is up on the main packages, as they only even added code to do this to the CVS version a month or so ago, although on the other hand it works quite well (I was really proud of the fact that LEAP works with ndiswrappers on my friends cheap Compaq computer that doesn't even support LEAP in Windows ) so maybe sooner.

What I would do if it was me would be just to try it. I think you can keep the knetworkmanager package around (although it might not let you do that if you delete the network-manager packages). Maybe you could also try reinstalling it after you follow my installation procedures. However, it could very well give some dependency errors. I would have to investigate this further.

However, since with my instructions you are using checkinstall to install it, that creates a "deb" package and installs it, so if it doesn't work you should just be able to remove it with your favorite package manager (adept, I am not too familiar with it as I use synaptic).

Especially since you have wireless network support with wireless ninja as well, it should be pretty straightforward if something goes wrong to just remove the network-manager packages that following the HOWTO will install and reinstall the default Kubuntu ones. However, on the other hand, I don't know how likely it is to work, as knetworkmanager probably wants a specific version of the network manager packages. Hmm... Anyhow, I say it is worth a try, but only if you feel comfortable removing the packages for network-manage rCVS after they have been installed and then reinstalling knetworkamanger.

Misha

Quote Originally Posted by minchina View Post
    I just start knetworkmanager from the K menu. I can also do wireless with the wireless assistant application, but knetworkmanager seems like a more sophisticated option. I want to have this LEAP capability, but I am far from a linux ninja and I am worried that if I remove knetworkmanager and something goes wrong on the installation I will be totallly without wireless.
    I will try and find some information about dealing with deb packages in kubuntu so that I can do it this way. This may be a question that you can't answer, but do you have any sense as to the kind of time frame this version would be released indo adept?

thanks

Beans

I gave it a shot. The good news is that I can still get online wirelesly with the kde wireless assistant, so nothing is broken. Unfortunately I can't get network manager to start. I tried to use the non-vpnc package first and got this:

dpkg -i '///home/micha
    (Reading database ... 135416 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace network-manager 0.6.2-0ubuntu7 (using .../network-manager_cvs20060815-1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement network-manager ...
    dpkg: error processing ///home/michael/Download/Network manager files/network-manager_cvs20060815-1_i386.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libnm-util.so.0.0.0', which is also in package libnm-util0
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    ///home/michael/Download/Network manager files/network-manager_cvs20060815-1_i386.deb
    RESULT=1

I did not know how to fix that, so I just tried to use the vpnc package. That gave me this:

<iles/network-manager-vpnc_cvs20060815-1_i386.deb' ;echo RESULT=$?
    Selecting previously deselected package network-manager-vpnc.
    Unpacking network-manager-vpnc (from .../network-manager-vpnc_cvs20060815-1_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up network-manager-vpnc (cvs20060815-1) ...
    RESULT=0

Not seeing any error messages, I followed the rest of the directions to install the scrips. That went off until I tried the last line (which I assume launches the program) and I got a 'command not found' response.

Any ideas? The program show up as installed in adept. Is there any additional information I can give you?

Thanks for the work that you put into the howto and sorry to have to keep asking you questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

No prob. For that first error you just need to remove the libnm-util0 package. You can just do

Code:
    sudo aptitude remove libnm-util0
    or

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove libnm-util0
    (the first one is usually smarter about removing packages). The VPNC package is just an
    add on to network manager base so it would not do anything unless the other package is
    installed too. Hope that helps.

Misha

I gave it a shot. The good news is that I can still get online wirelesly with the kde wireless assistant, so nothing is broken. Unfortunately I can't get network manager to start. I tried to use the non-vpnc package first and got this:

dpkg -i '///home/micha
    Preparing to replace network-manager 0.6.2-0ubuntu7 (using .../network-manager_cvs20060815-1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement network-manager ...
    dpkg: error processing ///home/michael/Download/Network manager files/network-manager_cvs20060815-1_i386.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libnm-util.so.0.0.0', which is also in package libnm-util0
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    ///home/michael/Download/Network manager files/network-manager_cvs20060815-1_i386.deb
    RESULT=1

I did not know how to fix that, so I just tried to use the vpnc package. That gave me this:

<iles/network-manager-vpnc_cvs20060815-1_i386.deb' ;echo RESULT=$?
    Selecting previously deselected package network-manager-vpnc.
    Unpacking network-manager-vpnc (from .../network-manager-vpnc_cvs20060815-1_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up network-manager-vpnc (cvs20060815-1) ...
    RESULT=0

Not seeing any error messages, I followed the rest of the directions to install the scrips. That went off until I tried the last line (which I assume launches the program) and I got a 'command not found' response.

Any ideas? The program show up as installed in adept. Is there any additional information I can give you?

Thanks for the work that you put into the howto and sorry to have to keep asking you questions.

Beans

Of course. That worked great and everything seemed to be cooking until I got to the nm-applet --sm-disable command. That gave me this:

nm-applet: error while loading shared libraries: libpanel-applet-2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried to reboot, but still the same thing. What is my next step?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Ok, try this. I did a google search on knetworkmanager and found the homepage. They have a compilation script on there. Just
    download the script from this link:

http://nouse.net/projects/KNetworkMa...nm-svn-head.sh

Save it somewhere (say in your home folder). Now open your home folder, right click on the file, go to the permissions tab, click on execute. Close the permissions dialog. Now right click, "open with other application," select "gedit," change the line that says "sudo make install" to "sudo checkinstall" (or if you want you can just leave it too, but this will not create a package). Now double click on the script to run it, when you get to checkinstall make sure to put in some options like a version number, and then hopefully it will work when it is done compiling and installing.

Also, before you run the script, you might want to make sure it has all the dependencies to compile by typing the following command in a terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep knetworkmanager
    Anyhow, those are just my guesses as I have no way to actually try it out with no KDE system handy.

Misha

Of course. That worked great and everything seemed to be cooking until I got to the nm-applet --sm-disable command. That gave me this:

nm-applet: error while loading shared libraries: libpanel-applet-2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried to reboot, but still the same thing. What is my next step?

thanks

Beans

Thanks for all of the help. I think that I may have to take a pass on this one for now. The script was very unhappy when I ran it, so I tried to track down my missing libpanel-applet2-0. It turns out that it is a library for GNOME applets. I installed it and started to run nm-applet but got a bunch of error messages about things failing, culminating in a message about failing to find resources. I guess I will just have to wait until it comes out in adept.

Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

In case anyone is using Edgy and wants NetworkManager CVS, I made debs (real debs this time, not checkinstalled - except vpnc deb) attached.

Misha
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by misha680; November 14th, 2006 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Put in slightly older CVS debs from 10/10 - these are my favorite as they automatically reconnect on resume from suspend :)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi. I followed your guide exactly, by just copying and pasting the commands into the terminal. Everything seemed to work fine, up until I entered "sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart", at which point I got this:

Code:
    * Stopping System Tools Backends system-tools-backends                  [ ok ] 
     * Stopping NetworkManager dispatcher                                    [ ok ] 
     * Stopping Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon                       [fail] 
     * Stopping NetworkManager daemon                                        [ ok ] 
     * Stopping Hardware abstraction layer hald                              [ ok ] 
     * Stopping system message bus dbus                                      [ ok ] 
     * Starting system message bus dbus                                      [ ok ] 
     * Starting Hardware abstraction layer hald                              [ ok ] 
     * Starting NetworkManager daemon                                               /usr/sbin/NetworkManager: error while loading shared libraries: libnl.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    run-parts: /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager exited with return code 127
     * Starting NetworkManager dispatcher                                           /usr/sbin/NetworkManagerDispatcher: error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    run-parts: /etc/dbus-1/event.d/26NetworkManagerDispatcher exited with return code 127
     * Starting System Tools Backends system-tools-backends                  [ ok ]
    I then tried to enter "nm-applet --sm-disable", but that just gave me the same complaint about libdbus-1.so.2.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I need to do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Are you on edgy? If so you might need to do:

Code:
    sudo aptitude install libdbus-1-2
    or you could just try to install the debs I made two posts up which are actually real debs so should work better I think. If you're on dapper, I might try just installing network-manager from the repositories first (use Synaptic Package Manager), then removing it, and try the procedure again, as perhaps you are missing some dependencies that that should take care of (thus the problem making checkinstalled debs).

Misha

Beans

I updated to Edgy and lost my networkmanager in the process. Now I'm trying to reinstall it, but get the same errors as some others:

frank@frank-laptop:~/Downloads$ nm-applet --sm-disable
    nm-applet: error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This happens when I installed it using Synaptic, with the guide from the first posts and with the debs. If I try to install libdbus, the result is the following:

frank@frank-laptop:~/Downloads$ sudo aptitude install libdbus-1-2
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Reading extended state information
    Initializing package states... Done
    Building tag database... Done
    No candidate version found for libdbus-1-2
    No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
    Writing extended state information... Done

And Synaptic doesn't want to install it either. Anyone any idea how to fix this? Would be great, thanks in advance!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast