Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Statistics

Beans

Re: Statistics

This whole thing of having to preface the command with "LANG=..." seems like a bug that should be fixed in Edgy. But I don't know whether the problem is in xorg, edgy configuration, gnome, the new version of R, or elsewhere. There was no problem like this in any of the previous versions of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by stevetxt View Post
    This whole thing of having to preface the command with "LANG=..." seems like a bug that should be fixed in Edgy. But I don't know whether the problem is in xorg, edgy configuration, gnome, the new version of R, or elsewhere. There was no problem like this in any of the previous versions of Ubuntu.
    I did a search on the R mailing lists, and they are certain it is not an R issue. Something to do with the fonts installed matching the locale chosen... not sure if that lies with the distribution or xorg. There were some Suse users with the same problem.
    This looks nothing like my signature...
    My Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I don't know much about this issue, but R on Edgy I just installed on vmware today (so clean installation & simple hardware) is working fine so far, including plots like hist(rnorm(100));.

My locale setting is en_US.UTF-8, the default setting. As for fonts, those associated with LyX, i.e., latex-xft-fonts, and several Japanese fonts are installed (should not be relevant).

A little comment to original post:
    If you don't care to use proprietary alternatives, then I recommend you to buy Stata for Linux. It runs on all the major platforms, including 64 bit OSes, and has a great reputation, at least, among social scientists.

Beans

I have fixed this problem in the following way, which I saw on a thread somewhere. So now when I type R the graphics work. No "LANG=" specification is needed.

In Edgy the xfonts are in /etc/share/fonts/X11. But the automatic configuration of /etc/X11/xorg.conf has lines specifying the fontpaths as in /etc/share/X11/fonts .

I edited /etc/X11xorg.conf to change every instance of X11/fonts to fonts/X11.

So now that section is

Section "Files"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
    # path to defoma fonts
    FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
    EndSection

whereas the automatic configuration from my clean installation of Edgy was
    Section "Files"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
    # path to defoma fonts
    FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
    EndSection

The new configuration takes effect after rebooting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gbutalid View Post
    And one more thing. When I was still using Windows and I plot something through R, I just right click on the plot and copy it as a bitmap or metafile, then paste it to a Word document. I tried it in Ubuntu, having R in the terminal, but it doesn't work. Does anyone know how I could copy a plot? Thanks in advance.
    dev2bitmap()

is the command to use (help('dev2bitmap') for usage info) This is probably the command that the windows version has in the menu.

Beans

changing the path in the xorg.conf file, worked for me. Thanks! Why is the default path in edgy broken?!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by stevetxt View Post
    I have fixed this problem in the following way, which I saw on a thread somewhere. So now when I type R the graphics work. No "LANG=" specification is needed.

In Edgy the xfonts are in /etc/share/fonts/X11. But the automatic configuration of /etc/X11/xorg.conf has lines specifying the fontpaths as in /etc/share/X11/fonts .

I edited /etc/X11xorg.conf to change every instance of X11/fonts to fonts/X11.
    This is helpful. I found something similar here from R mailing list but I couldn't figure it out until you have explicitly pointed out where are those fonts folder. Thanks stevetxt.

Beans

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12