Page 17 of 137 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Quote Originally Posted by Trekko View Post
    and this works like a charm.

root@bananubuntu:~# mount -t cifs //banancompaq/ftp /bananftp -o username=administrator,password=********,iocharset =utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777

Just noted a strange thing, maybe a bug in the forum, there is a space in the text after iocharset in my above posts.
    But this is only in the forumtext. not the terminal i copied them from.

Maybe this can create some intresting situations fur users copying text/commands from furum.
    Or is this why most of you use the codetags?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

okay ....
    @trekko:
    first off, if you encase your lines in [code] markups, then your line will not scroll, so yes ... this is exactly why most of us use code tags.

try changing your fstab line to this:
    Code:
    //banancompaq/ftp /bananftp cifs noauto,username=administrator,password=*******,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    then mount using this command:
    Code:
    sudo mount /bananaftp
    @borka
    i need to take a step back. you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by borka View Post
    I have tried to take away the "/" from the end of the locationspaths, e.g //LAN-HDD/Williams
    But then I get: mount error 20 = Inte en katalog (not a directory)
    but the paths should definitely NOT have the "/" at the end. is "LAN-HDD" a directory in /media? remember, linux is case sensitive. (i'm just trying to make sure all the ducks are lined up so to speak)

otherwise, let's try adding the verbose option to your mount line to see if we can't get some more info:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //LAN-HDD/Williams /media/LAN-HDD --verbose -o guest,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Progress

When i add this to fstab
    Code:
    //banancompaq/ftp /bananftp cifs noauto,username=administrator,password=*******,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    it mounts succesfully with
    Code:
    sudo mount /bananftp
    but does not mount with
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    or gives any errors so it looks like it mounted but doesent.

Thx for the almoust 24/7 effort you put in this.

Beans

I have exactly the same problem as Borka

When I try to mount my NAS (ARGOSY HD363N) with cifs

Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.000.10/Apps /home/michael/mnt/Apps -o username=michael
    I get following error

Code:
    mount error 20 = Not a directory
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
    The ARGOSY HD363N shall support cifs according to manual, and I think it do so be course when I mount it from Windows it seems much faster compared to when I mount from Linux using smbfs
    That is also the reason that I want to use cifs.

Could cifs be implemented in different ways?
    Is cifs requiring something else, library etc. more than smbfs does?
    Is there anyone who have succeeded to mount ARGOSY HD363N with cifs from Linux?

However
    Code:
    iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,unicode
    solved my problem with the Swedish characters when mounting with smbfs

Beans

I'm having a problem with some of my shares mounting with the correct permissions.

My windows machine share mount perfectly fine, however, my shares on my linux server are not mounting as expected.

I've got all my shares set in fstab to mount the same, with both files and dirs set to 0777. On my samba server, I have the shares defaulting to read only, but I have myself set as the admin, so I can share files to the whole family and give myself full read/write access without having to worry about my wife or son accidentally deleting all our mp3s.

It would appear that my mounts are ignoring the fact that I am an admin user, and just mounting the shares based on the default share settings. Is there a way I can circumvent this?

Here are two entries:

Code:
    //arcade/mp3 /media/mp3 cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    //arcade/glave /media/glave cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    And then the resulting mountpoints
    Code:
    drwxr-xr-x 122 root  root      0 2006-12-20 09:13 mp3
    drwxr-xr-x  16 glave glave     0 2007-01-01 09:12 glave
    Before mounting, both mountpoints are root root drwxrwxrwx. The second share is my user share on the server, so I can see that its mounting the share to just me (nice!). I just need that mp3 share to recognize that I am a share admin and let me mount it 777 instead of the 755 that the share defaults to.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Hi,

thanks for the guide.
    It works fine except one thing I cannot solve yet:

when I mount the share like that

mount -t cifs -o username=XXX,password=XXX,iocharset=utf8,codepage= 850,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials sharename mountpoint

everyting looks good - until I create a file or a folder. I can create both but the permissions after creation are total nonsense.

I wonder if that is a mounting issue or a samba configuration issue. If I use the network server browser to create a file or folder all permissions are as expected. So I assume it's not an samba config thing!?

Any idea?

Thanks in advance
    Markus

Beans
    Distro

sorry for the delay folks, i've been on holiday.

@Trekko:
    well, i believe you're being effected by bug 44874

i'm actually in the same boat, but it's on my desktop machine with a wired ethernet connection so i don't have to worry about entering my keyring password.

the only thing i can suggest at this point is to have a script launch (with the "mount /bananftp" command) after you've entered in your keyring password.

sorry, i'm clueless when it comes to scripts so i'm not to sure what to tell you on that.

@MichaelJohansson
    i wish i could get my hands on one of these little buggers. without a doubt, the most problems are occurring with the nas devices of a variety of manufacture.

smbfs is a different technique, but it uses the same libraries. in most cases, it simply performs the job better.

if you could also try mounting with the "verbose" option like i requested from borka in post 162, i might be able to figure out more.

@glave:
    try adding the uid option in your line like so:
    Code:
    //arcade/mp3 /media/mp3 cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=your_windows_admin_id,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    @Markus72
    first of all, i'm not sure what you mean by the permissions are "total nonsense". are the permissions on the local computer a problem, or are the permissions on the remote sharing server a problem?

also, your mount line has loads of extra stuff in it that could be causing problems:
    Code:
    mount -t cifs -o username=XXX,password=XXX,iocharset=utf8,codepage= 850,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials sharename mountpoint
    1) the "codepage" is not an option in cifs. because cifs is much better at handling international characters, you don't need the codepage option.
    2) the "username=xxx,password=xxx" and "smbcredentials" options perform the exact same function, so if they are different in any way, it could be causing you trouble. use one or the other but not both.
    3) you're putting the options in front of the sharename and mountpoint.

frankly, i'm curious as to how that line is working at all.

so change your line to this:
    Code:
    mount -t cifs //sharename /mountpoint -o username=XXX,password=XXX,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    or this:
    Code:
    mount -t cifs //sharename /mountpoint -o credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    please remember cifs is NOT the exact same thing as smbfs, so the method for mounting is not going to be identical.
    Last edited by dmizer; January 5th, 2007 at 11:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Hi Dmizer,

thanks for your reply. I solved the problem.
    In fact it was not a problem caused by the mount command. Your variant did the same as mine but was just shorter and less redundant - that's why I replaced mine

It were the file permission settings configured in samba. After I changed them, everything war fine.
    What I didn't understand yet is why creating a folder in a mounted share will lead to different permissions in comparison to a folder created using the network computer browser window.

But - in the end - after changing the samba settings: who cares now they're equal

Thanks a lot
    Markus

Beans

@glave:
    try adding the uid option in your line like so:
    Code:
    //arcade/mp3 /media/mp3 cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=your_windows_admin_id,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    Gave that a shot, but got the exact same results. Glave is the admin user's name on my samba share, so I used uid=glave on the mount command.

In short, my mount was still mounted root root drwxr-xr-x and I was unable to do any write or delete to the mounted share.

Beans
    Distro

well, we can try a few more options, but this problem may be with the configuration of the share on the windows machine. lol, it may give me an excuse to actually boot a windows machine. which, in reality, means i'll actually have to install it.

anyway ... try this line:
    Code:
    //arcade/mp3 /media/mp3 cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=glave,iocharset=utf8,rw,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    Last edited by dmizer; January 7th, 2007 at 02:04 AM.

Page 17 of 137 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast