View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 10 of 152 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Master Kernel Thread

I found this over at the O'Reiley book on Kernel building. Seems relevant here:
    The kernel source code should also never be placed in the /usr/src/linux/ directory,
    as that is the location of the kernel that the system libraries were built
    against, not your newcustom kernel. Do not do any kernel development under
    the /usr/src/ directory tree at all, but only in a local user directory where nothing
    bad can happen to the system.
    I think I'm going to listen to this stern directions, as I don't see why it is necessary to build the kernel in such a special location. I think mine shall go in my home directory unless somebody tells me that's a stupid idea (it isn't, right?).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

indeed. I forgot about the ndiswrapper part (I've never used ndiswrapper myself). There is however a driver for your card in the 2.6.19 kernel, I think...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vidak View Post
    indeed. I forgot about the ndiswrapper part (I've never used ndiswrapper myself). There is however a driver for your card in the 2.6.19 kernel, I think...
    There is, and I tried it once, but it didn't work as well as ndiswrapper (it worked the first time but after reboot it didn't). I can give it a try again, but I still don't get why ndiswrapper doesn't work in the 2.6.19 kernel...

Beans

Hi all, this happened to me:

Q. After GRUB boots my kernel, all I see is this:
    Quote:
    Begin: Waiting for root file system...
    A. This is because you installed Ubuntu on a SATA hard drive. To fix this error, you must recompile the kernel with SATA options enabled.

I'm compiling the 2.6.20 rc5
    My question is: after I chose the kernel options:
    $sudo make xconfig

I found that the old SATA support is deprecated, the new support is in /Device/SCSI device support:
    there are: SCSI device support SCSI disk support; both of them are required to be buildin(not as module) in order to boot from a SATA hard disk.

So I checked them( however I didn't check the SCSI target support, cause it was not required) and compile-> reboot. But my hard disks are stilll recognised as hda, instead of sda.

I wonder what I have done is wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    btw, my machine is a Dell D620, you can find the tech spec here:http://www.dell.com/content/products...n=specs#tabtop
    Lun
    Last edited by wormite; January 29th, 2007 at 10:54 PM. Reason: added tech spec

Beans

Ok, to help those who had the same problem as I did and end up the error I've been experiencing for 3 weeks, here is a more detailed solution the the problem:

Q. After GRUB boots my kernel, all I see is this:
    Quote:
    Begin: Waiting for root file system...
    A. This is because you installed Ubuntu on a SATA hard drive. To fix this error, you must recompile the kernel with SATA options enabled.

#My system: Dell latitude D620, for specs, you can see #http://www.math.dartmouth.edu/~sarunas/D620F6.html
    #so of course I'm using a SATA as the boot and root.
    #It's a dual boot system with xp in sda2 , ubuntu in sda3
    #my kernel is 2.6.20-rc5

Now what to enable in the make xconfig:
    Device Drivers:
    |---ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
    |------ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
    |----------Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support
    |--------------support for SATA(deprecated;conflicts with libata SATA driver)
    ---------------#enable above choice, make sure it's a Y, not M(module)
    |---SCSI device support
    |-------SCSI device support
    --------#enable above choice, make sure it's a Y, not M(module)
    |-------SCSI disk support
    |---Serial ATA(prod) and Parallel ATA(experimental) drivers
    |-------ATA device support
    |-----------Intel PIIX/ICH SATA support
    ------------#there are many kinds of support here, for me I chose this, to understand what you should choose, see below.

How to decide which ATA device support driver you should choose:
    I used lspci |grep IDE and it gives:
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller IDE (rev 01)
    And after looking through all the device supported with keyword "intel" in xconfig, I found 3, only 1 for mine, the other 2 were for PATA, so I hope yours isn't too complicated either.

OK, hope this helps the noobs just like me. And if possible, can the thread author add this to the original post?

BTW, if you can not find your SATA device driver or it still fail for some reason, there's a work around. The harddisk is probably still recognized as hda instead of sda in the bootup, so you can change /boot/grub/menu.lst
    instead of
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-rc5 root=/dev/sda3 ro quiet splash
    change it to
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-rc5 root=/dev/hda3 ro quiet splash

#sda-->hda here for those who didn't see the difference....

Happy ubuntuing
    Lun
    Last edited by wormite; January 30th, 2007 at 12:56 AM. Reason: spaces not formatted. have to use|-----

Beans
    Distro

Hey, I have that exact same IDE result from lspci, but I don't think my harddrive is SATA (though I'm not sure).

When I boot, I get:
    Code:
    ide0:I/O Resource 0x1f0-0x1f7 not free
    ide0: ports already in use, skipping probe
    and
    Code:
    device=mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table
    Do think I should try what you're suggesting? This kernel modifying is getting the better of me.

While I'm at it, you don't know anything about getting the intel 3945abg up and running on the new kernel, do you?

Beans

hi mslissner, I have never seen the output you posted here. My suggestion is you really *need* to know what kind of hard drive you have, if it's a laptop, go to the official page, if it's a desktop, open it and see for yourself...
    If it's SATA, you can try the way I've posted, and no, I don't know anything about that intel3945abg
    Hope you can make some progress with my post
    Lun
    Last edited by wormite; January 30th, 2007 at 05:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Ah well. I'm just confused because my kernel seems to be detecting it as a SATA drive:
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i sata
    [17179571.692000] ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x1F0 ctl 0x3F6 bmdma 0xFFA0 irq 14
    Yet when I pulled it out and looked it up, it was ATA/100. So what does this mean? I don't know.

Thanks for the help anyway, I may use your suggestion yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Wink Re: Master Kernel Thread

great instructions, done a minimal kernel i.e removed all the non appropriate drivers and just waiting for compiling to finish, all plain sailing so far, but I suppose still time for it to all go wrong

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by MeduZa View Post
    to have no problems with the nvidia package you need to unselected rivafb and nvidiafb (all the nvidia FBs )

I have the same problem
    So are you saying that you got the nvidia module to compile? I tried deselecting everything about riva and nvidia and it still won't compile the nvidia module. Has anyone had any success on this?

Page 10 of 152 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast