Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Latest OpenOffice 2 Beta with Ubuntu Linux

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Latest OpenOffice 2 Beta with Ubuntu Linux

Since this thread has gotten so long, I'll try to summarize the steps, as they currently stand, so a new reader doesn't have to read through the whole thing:

1. Download the install script found here:
    http://www.disciple3d.co.uk/files/evolutioncolt_oo2

(Script originally written by sebgate20, modified by me, further modified by disciple3d. Hosted by disciple3d.)

2. Save the script anywhere on your computer, call it what you like (ie, oo2-beta-install.sh)

3. Make the script executable:
    $ chmod +x oo2-beta-install.sh

4. Run the script as follows:
    $ oo2-beta-install.sh xxx

replace xxx with the three digit latest beta version number. currently it's 113. To find the latest version number, look here:

http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html

Notes:

- The script will download the latest beta version from the OO site, as well as the menu icons from disciple3d's site.
    - OpenOffice will be installed in /opt/openoffice.org1.9, and menu items will point there.
    - The script uses alien to convert the RPMs to DEBs. If you have a problem with alien hanging, run the script again.
    - When the next beta release comes out, run the script again, with the new number. Ie, $ oo2-beta-install.sh 114. No need to delete the old installation.
    - You can keep your Ubuntu Oo1 or Oo2 installations if you like, though if you're happy with the latest beta, you can uninstall them, via Synaptic, without it affecting the beta install.

Enjoy!

PS. If you find a working DEB of the latest OO2-beta package (it's not in universe/multiverse but you might find it elsewhere), then just use that instead of the script.

arnieboy Guest

zerohalo I have a question for you. What happens when i run the script again for lets say beta version 115? will it overwrite beta version 113? or will it install the debs for 115 separately giving us two separate versions of OO (beta 113 and beat 115)? It would be better if this script actually upgrades the installed beta version to the higher beta version. Does it do that?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zerohalo
    Since this thread has gotten so long, I'll try to summarize the steps, as they currently stand, so a new reader doesn't have to read through the whole thing:

1. Download the install script found here:
    http://www.disciple3d.co.uk/files/evolutioncolt_oo2
    Is this the script to use if I have java already or is it not?

the script says: "This is the NON-JAVA version which assumes you have the Sun JRE installed. If you do, this could destroy you setup."

It assumes that I have Sun JRE installed which I do. But it will also destroy my setup of it. I don't get it.

manicka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by arnieboy
    zerohalo I have a question for you. What happens when i run the script again for lets say beta version 115? will it overwrite beta version 113? or will it install the debs for 115 separately giving us two separate versions of OO (beta 113 and beat 115)? It would be better if this script actually upgrades the installed beta version to the higher beta version. Does it do that?
    From what I can see the last part of the script should just move the new install to the generic folder and overwrite the old one. Is that correct zerohalo?

manicka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jasplund
    Is this the script to use if I have java already or is it not?

the script says: "This is the NON-JAVA version which assumes you have the Sun JRE installed. If you do, this could destroy you setup."

It assumes that I have Sun JRE installed which I do. But it will also destroy my setup of it. I don't get it.
    This script is for systems with Java already installed and won't effect your setup if youalready have JRE isnatlled. The message means that it could destroy your setup if you install without JRE installed beforehand.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

That was a great script to install OpenOffice 2.0 Beta (113). Nice improvements, and I believe I am going to remove the 1.1.3 version that comes with Ubuntu, which was nice too.

Update:

When trying to remove OpenOffice 1.1.3, synaptic wants to remove Ubuntu.desktop. Is this a good idea or not? I does not seem to be in my eyes, but who knows?
    Last edited by SpEcIeS; July 9th, 2005 at 04:12 AM.
    SpEcIeS

Keep consuming technology faster.. I am living off of your feces.

Beans

Removing ubuntu-desktop shouldn't be a problem since it is only a metapackage. Just make sure you reinstall it before doing a dist-upgrade to breezy.

Beans

I just installed OOo1.9.113 using the script. I didn't install any mimetype icons though. I had 1.9.109 before which I installed with the italian script. When I uninstalled 109 the mimetype icons where uninstalled as well.

How can I get them back?

Beans

Another thing. since it installs in /opt/openoffice.org1.9 the language packs doesn't work. Cause the languagepack installs in /opt/openoffice.org1.9.113. I copied all the files from 1.9.113 to 1.9 though and now it works

Johan

Beans

Can someone please upload the mimetypeicons?

thanks
    Johan

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast