Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You now can officially run Windows (and Ubuntu) on Mac

Beans

You now can officially run Windows (and Ubuntu) on Mac

Apple has released new software that allows you to run Windows on a Intel Mac. I wonder if this software will also support Linux?

Apple: Windows on a Mac is here
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans

Re: You now can officially run Windows on Mac

And finally apple provides a program for resizing partitions:

The software also helps you set aside hard drive space for the Windows installation, without moving any of your Mac files around. Just drag the intuitive slider to choose the size that’s right for you. Boot Camp also helps you remove the Windows partition, should you so desire.

I write Kupfer, a smart, quick launcher.
    Recommended apps and tools: Vim!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

And finally apple provides a program for resizing partitions:
    I think this is the really great part. Once a partition is resized safely from within OSX, you can use that for Ubuntu. Woot!
    My projects and ramblings: http://stuporglue.org
    http://www.mormon.org/bookofmormon -- Free Book of Mormon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

When do you think it will be possible or is it possible to triple boot?
    Last edited by pillypoon; April 5th, 2006 at 07:32 PM.

Beans

A very interesting move by apple.. I like it..
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

I hope you can boot ubuntu off of it, that'd be pretty awesome. Probably be a bit of a problem making drivers and such though

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

This is just funny
    Apple has no desire or plan to sell or support Windows, but many customers have expressed their interest to run Windows on Apple's superior hardware, now that we use Intel processors,"
    How is Apple's hardware superior now that they are EXACTLY like any other x86 PC, aside from not using a BIOS?
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prizrak
    This is just funny

How is Apple's hardware superior now that they are EXACTLY like any other x86 PC, aside from not using a BIOS?
    It's not. Apple buys their parts from the very same vendors that companies like Dell and HP buys theirs off of. Since Apple controls both the operating system and the parts, it could lead one to believe their parts are supperior because they perform almost flawlessly together. Apple has used that tight control of both the hardware and software to perpetuate the myth that they have superior hardware compared to PC's. It is actually a very ingenious marketing ploy that convices many people to pay more for the same hardware.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

It's not. Apple buys their parts from the very same vendors that companies like Dell and HP buys theirs off of. Since Apple controls both the operating system and the parts, it could lead one to believe their parts are supperior because they perform almost flawlessly together. Apple has used that tight control of both the hardware and software to perpetuate the myth that they have superior hardware compared to PC's. It is actually a very ingenious marketing ploy that convices many people to pay more for the same hardware.
    Most true. However, the quality of the hardware in a low end Mac is probably higher than that in a low end Dell (or whatever). Just as an example, Macs have had auto-switching network ports for as long as I can remember. I didn't even realize that PC users needed crossover cables till I showed up at college (~5 years ago).

It's not that you can't get auto-switching ports for PCs, but it's that sort of design decision that makes it easier to work with a Mac.

The other difference in my opinion, is that people compare Macs with Dells or Vaios when the quality of the construction is more in line with that of a Thinkpad. I've never seen a Mac or Thinkpad with a craked case, but I've seen lots of Dells and Vaios with cracks in their cases.

Kind of a you-get-what-you-pay-for issue I guess.

Note: After growing up on Macs, I sold mine last fall to buy a PC which would support Linux better. Not a Mac fan-boi, but I appreciate a good machine. I'd get a Thinkpad instead of a Mac if I were in the laptop market right now.
    My projects and ramblings: http://stuporglue.org
    http://www.mormon.org/bookofmormon -- Free Book of Mormon

Beans

This is very exciting!

UBUNTU WORKS!

My attachment is a picture of my friend's Mac mini running the Ubuntu Live CD because of this new firmware!

If the soon to be released iBooks (or Macbooks or whatever) have Intel Graphics (which have decent Linux drivers) in them, it will be VERY hard for me to resist buying one!

DIGG IT
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by poofyhairguy; April 6th, 2006 at 12:52 AM.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast