Page 67 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo Install the Latest Firefox in Ubuntu (Ultimate HowTo)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HowTo: A script to install Firefox 1.5.0.1

I took the liberty of modifying your scripts so one can do the same thing for installing Thunderbird 1.5

The actual process is just slightly different, the differences are that the old Thunderbird uses ~/.mozilla-thunderbird while the new one uses ~/.thunderbird. This script will create a symlink, ~/.thunderbird, pointing to ~/.mozilla-thunderbird. Also, only one symlink is created in /usr/bin (mozilla-thunderbird). There's also some symlinking being done just within the thunderbird directory to fix the differences in filenames in Ubuntu (where it's named mozilla-thunderbird) and vanilla Thunderbird (where it's just named thunderbird).

Some things that you might want to consider for the firefox-scripts as well:
    When testing my scripts, when restoring the old version, I got a lot of questions wether I wanted to remove the read-only files in ~/.mozilla-thundrbird when removing it - especially the extensions tended to be read-only. In my script, the removal of directories is therefore performed using "rm -rf" instead of just "rm -r" so you won't get any such questions. It may be that these files aren't normally read-only though, but they were in my case.

In addition, the verbose-switch to tar creates massive output due to all the filenames, so many messages from the script will get "lost" in the spam. My script therefore does not use -v when unpacking the archive.

Anyway, it works, so enjoy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Roy W. Andersen
    Registered Linux user #69295

manicka Guest

I have archived both these howtos/scripts at the Ubuntu Document Storage Facility

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php?title=...irefox_1.5.0.1

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Instal...hunderbird_1.5
    Last edited by manicka; April 9th, 2006 at 03:55 AM.

Beans

It worked great for me. Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ensnared
    I
    Some things that you might want to consider for the firefox-scripts as well:
    When testing my scripts, when restoring the old version, I got a lot of questions wether I wanted to remove the read-only files in ~/.mozilla-thundrbird when removing it - especially the extensions tended to be read-only. In my script, the removal of directories is therefore performed using "rm -rf" instead of just "rm -r" so you won't get any such questions. It may be that these files aren't normally read-only though, but they were in my case.
    I've made this change in the remove script. Thanks for the note about it.

In addition, the verbose-switch to tar creates massive output due to all the filenames, so many messages from the script will get "lost" in the spam. My script therefore does not use -v when unpacking the archive.
    I'm going to keep verbose in. I think it's good for people to be able to see what's happening, even if they don't actually do much to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by vol_freak
    It worked great for me. Thank you!
    That's good to hear. I'm no programmer, so I want to know that it works on more than just my machine.
    Last edited by aysiu; April 10th, 2006 at 04:37 AM.

Beans

Just a few questions, I myself installed Mozilla firefox in it's previous location ie /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox.

I did this by moving /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox to /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.0.7
    extracted the tar.gz file to /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.1 and creating a symbolic link, this way if I encountered a problem I could easily downgrade back to mozilla firefox with just a quick sym link replacement.

Why did you choose to install it in the /opt directory, it seems that that might indeed create more trouble than simply dropping the new version of in the 'same' location.

Kevin

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I actually prefer /usr/local/bin, but I was basing this script mainly off the Wiki, which chose to put it in the /opt directory. I don't see how this "create[s] more toruble" exactly. Could you explain what you mean?

You can really put it wherever you want.

Beans

Thank you aysiu and Ensnared these scripts, worked flawlessly, as a complete newbie they are much appreciated. Cheers . S

Beans

Hey!

I installed firefox 1.5 with automatix, and the extensions doesn't seem to work with this version (adblock for instance). Is it the price to pay for the new/unstable firefox under Breezy or have I pushed the wrong lever again?

Thanx

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TmP
    Hey!

I installed firefox 1.5 with automatix, and the extensions doesn't seem to work with this version (adblock for instance). Is it the price to pay for the new/unstable firefox under Breezy or have I pushed the wrong lever again?

Thanx
    You might want to repost the question in the Automatix sub forum for direct help with your problem. It is a little out of place here in this thread.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

awww, magic. It even links automatically with the menu icon automatically.
    couldn't figure that bit our for myself last time when I tried to upgrade from source.
    thanks again aysiu and I hope Dapper is coming along nicely.

Page 67 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast