Page 18 of 206 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

I am copying my own thread here, as it seems no one else can answer. I hope someone following this thread will be able to give me some advice.
    I am new to Linux, and installed Ubuntu 5. I was very happy with it, no problems at all. Then I upgraded to Dapper Drake 6.06 (gnome), and problems started popping up.
    1) Video started 'hiccuping'
    2) Audio was hiccuping too
    3) Mouse pointer is sluggish, making it a nightmare to do anything
    4) Eventhough the system recognizes a blank disk inserted, when trying to burn it, it asks me to insert a new blank disk, eventhough I tried even with a very little file.
    After doing a full reinstall, I added updates and apps one by one, changing some settings, one by one, rebooting each time. I finally found out that the source of the problem was: the sound card:
    The system set the 'camera' as the default sound card, (Logitech webcam), shows only the microphone properties in the toolbar, and when I changed it to the VIA 82XX integrated sound card I have and rebooted, the sluggishness of the mouse came back with all the other issues.
    I reset the default to 'camera', rebooted, and everything was fine again.
    Everything except that I have no sound, hence no video either

Any idea, advice, suggestion? any help would be greatly appreciated.

***UPDATE*****
    I followed the steps in the Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449
    up and including point (4). Everything looked fine. Then I rebooted... and the problems listed above returned.
    Hence, I'm back to square one..
    UNQUOTE

Thanks in advance for any help..

Beans

Red face Re: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

Here is the problem I am having with sound. When I start up and log in, my sound works beautifully, but sometimes after being away from the machine for a while (not logging out, just letting the screen lock), when I come back and unlock the screen the sound doesn't work anymore. If I restart the machine the sound is fine (but for crying out loud this isn't a ******* box). I also tried
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart
    but that didn't help.
    Code:
    aplay -l
    and
    Code:
    lspci -v
    were successful, but at
    Code:
    sudo modprobe snd-<tab>
    I don't get anything that looks like it matches my soundcard (nForce2 chipset, "Onboard 6-channel AC 97 CODEC" audio, according to the manual). The last time this happened I went through the "getting the ALSA drivers from a fresh kernel" process, which worked temporarily. I haven't monkeyed around with any settings in ALSA that can't be accessed via alsamixer. Any ideas about what's causing this sporadic problem? I do play World of Warcraft under Cedega on this machine, which could possibly stress out the sound system, but I haven't observed a correlation between playing and losing sound output (primarily I don't notice that I've lost sound output until I try to play!). I'm going to reboot and this problem will probably be gone for a little while, but I'm sure it will show up again within the next few days.
    IBM T42

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

tjfitz - i think your card is an hda-intel, so do:
    Code:
     sudo modprobe hda-intel
    rck_hitokiri - see if you select "alsa" as an output engine for both apps under a Configuration/Tools/Settings menu. If you cannot do it for one or the other, run that application using alsa-oss. For example, suppose hydrogen does not have alsa output. Run
    Code:
     alsa-oss hydrogen
    , then audacity. It should work.

muz1 - when the sound stops working, do a
    Code:
    dmesg | grep snd
    and try doing
    Code:
    sudo modprobe snd-via82xx
    Myrgen - try removing your camera and follow my instructions again, without the camera. Also, paste the output of

aplay -l
    dmesg | grep snd

Beans

ubuntu is in denial about my soundcard

appearantly is not denial so much as confusion:

Code:
    dmesg | grep snd
    [17179593.920000] snd_seq_dummy: disagrees about version of symbol snd_seq_create_kernel_client
    [17179593.920000] snd_seq_dummy: Unknown symbol snd_seq_create_kernel_client

/etc/modules
    # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
    # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
    psmouse
    snd-via82xx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for helping!
    dmesg | grep snd doesn't give any output at all.

output of aplay -l:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 1: V8235 [VIA 8235], device 0: VIA 8235 [VIA 8235]
    Subdevices: 4/4
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
    Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
    Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
    card 1: V8235 [VIA 8235], device 1: VIA 8235 [VIA 8235]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Myrgen - your soundcard is installed and since dmesg | grep snd did not give any output everything is ok.

Two things to check.
    1) Is there a .asoundrc file in your home directory (i.e. /home/myrgen)? If there is delete it then reboot.

2) Go to /etc/group
    Code:
     cat /etc/group
    . Scroll over to the line where it says audio and see if your user name is on the line. If it is not you have to edit.
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/group
    Go to the audio line, and add yourself

so if you have something like
    Code:
    audio:x:29:user
    and you wanted to add the user, "newuser" add the user like so
    Code:
    audio:x:29:user, newuser
    teh_chris - You might need to recompile your drivers. However, since you said your sound was fine till you muted the sound using vncserver, you could try remotely logging in and checking if the sound is muted again. No idea at all if it would help, but it'd be a nice fix over a recompile.

Beans

I have an nForce2 chipset with an AC'97 card. In windows, I am able to use mic and line-in as outputs, to get 5.1 sound. The same thing must be possible in Ubuntu.

But how? Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Wink Re: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

Didnt work raiden... sad to say... maybe im lacking repositories for audio or alsa?? you have any suggestions on this? im using ess audio drive (snd-es18xx) well anyway thanks for your time and help. Please inform me if you have any ideas... cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I did all that you said, but as soon as I rebooted, the horrendously sluggishness of the mouse returned, the terribly slow to react system was back.. I had sound though: the login tambourin was there.. and didn't stop. Had to revert all settings, re-plug the camera and reboot to have a working system. It seems that Ubuntu can't live with my via8235 card
    Any further advice?

Beans

[solved] all modules working - but still no sound

I have worked for weeks on my sound problem and finally solved it. Maybe it would help others, so I describe it over here.
    In my case all modules were loaded correctly, aplay -l show the working soundcard, but no sound appeared neither in shell or kde.
    I suspected the mixer settings but modifying or deleting /var/lib/alsa/asound.state had no effect. No I found out why: KDE also restores the mixer settings and if they are wrong somehow, this will be stored to /var/lib/alsa/asound.state as well.

In order to wipe out all stored mixer settings one has to delete /var/lib/alsa/asound.state as well as ~./.kde/share/config/kmixctrlrc and ~./.kde/share/config/kmixrc

But this does not change the actual wrong settings of the sound card, which are stored again to /var/lib/alsa/asound.state as soon as linux is rebootet. Unfortunately this would restore the settings at every new boot.
    To disable storing of mixer levels on shutdown, remove /etc/rc[06].d/K50alsa-utils. To disable restoring of mixer
    levels on bootup, rename the "S50alsa-utils" symbolic link in /etc/rcS.d/ to "K50alsa-utils"

Hope it helps someone out there
    Cheers
    mcframe

Page 18 of 206 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast