Thread: Begging, pleading, etc (PyQt4)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Angry Begging, pleading, etc (PyQt4)

OK...No more meesta noice goi. If I don't get my package, I'm going to...uh..beg and plead and ask pretty please.

I desperately want to start working on a PyQt4 project, and would rather not upgrade to Edgy just yet. The problems I've encountered are partially detailed here:

https://launchpad.net/products/dappe...rts/+bug/57519

Today I tried compiling PyQt4 from source (download from Riverbank), but it required a new sip than dapper had, so I compiled that and create a deb with checkinstall. Well, that deb had this error:

dpkg: error processing sip4_4.4.5-1_i386.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/sipconfig.py', which is also in package python2.4-sip4-qt3

So, that won't work, and thus I can't compile it myself.

I am aware that backports just got started (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...22&postcount=3) so I know the process is going. Considering the intricate web of dependencies I have seem to come across (sip4, python-sip4-dev, python2.4-sip4-qt3, etc) is there any chance of seeing this in backports any time soon? Would a Brib^H^H^H^H paid support incident speed things up any?

Thanks for any hints/insite/pointers you can give.

j

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Begging, pleading, etc (PyQt4)

As mentioned in the bug report, I am currently going to reject this backport request.

If you need help installing PyQt4 for your needs, I recommend you ask here on the forums and see if someone can assist you in getting it up and running.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

NOOOOOOO! Well, OK. I see your reasons. I'll see what I can do about getting PyQt4 running on my system. As to getting an easier-to-maintain language, I thought that was why I chose Python. The mature Qt bindings for Python was one of (the many) reasons I chose to move to Python in the first place.

At any rate, I'll see what I can do. Thanks for taking a look at any rate.

j

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Good luck on getting that PyQt4 working. Last week I had an equal amount of fun trying to get the latest Mono/Monodevelop running on Dapper....
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Talking Re: Begging, pleading, etc (PyQt4)

I think I managed to make a PyQt4 package for Dapper, you can find it here: http://kovans-ogbot.blogspot.com/200...or-ubuntu.html

Feedback appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Yeah, I did get that far, but removing pyqt3 breaks kde-guidance, and a few other PyQt3 things, namely Eric.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yeah :s. It works for me but because I did't have that package installed.