Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steam 26% bug... :(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Steam 26% bug... :(

I can't read it, I don't speak that launguage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

wget http://steam4linux.freepages.dk/down...a/download.php

Then write tar xvfz steam4linux.tar.gz

then type in

cd steam4linux
    ./configure

Then run it and then when it freezes on 26% type in

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.steam4linux" wine "C:/Program Files/Steam/steamTmp.exe" SelfUpdate "C:/Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe" "14"
    Last edited by haxer; September 24th, 2006 at 04:03 PM.
    Do you really belive windows BS? Try linux use something fresh not something old and refurbished!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by haxer View Post

then type in

cd steam4linux
    ./configure

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.steam4linux" wine "C:/Program Files/Steam/steamTmp.exe" SelfUpdate "C:/Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe" "14"

Did that...brought up a Wine emulater thing, where I installed steam. I got to the main steam part, it didnt have any text, even with the tomaha font. So I kept going, it installed some gecko engine thing, and froze. Now I cant get back to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

huh hmm... then i dont know **** maybe your "graphic card" isnt with drivers or i just dont know worked perfectly fine and i have simmular components in my computer sorry mate

did you get an steam "ikon" on your desktop? try open that up
    Do you really belive windows BS? Try linux use something fresh not something old and refurbished!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by haxer View Post

then type in

cd steam4linux
    ./configure

I followed this but this shows up in the terminal

Code:
    wine: cannot find 'C:/Program Files/Steam/steamTmp.exe'
    Also there're two steam icons on my desktop. The first is the original and freezes at 26% and the other shows up with this message(attached).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

NVM. I don't know what I did, i just clicked on something before it disappeared and now everything is working perfectly.

THANKS, anyways.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and retract my previous statement. Whenever I try to launch a game(CS or CS:CZ), X crashes and I arrive at the login screen. What is the problem? Please Help, I've been at this for several hours now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hmm.. not wine it :S try just to wget it then open it then try the wine prefix after 26% crash then it will work butiful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Jag får inte igång steam överhuvudtaget

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I have a solution to get around the 26% bug
    I tried to follow this thread
    http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...=HOWTO%20Steam

The thread explains how to install wine and how to install steam, but the steam update stopped around 26%...

I tried the thread below, and it did manage to update steam. But I managed to destroy the /home/MYUSERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/ folder somehow. So i deleted /home/MYUSERNAME/.wine and tried to install steam again, but this time it did not work. Tried it again many times but it stopped around 26%

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam

My solution:
    I have cedega installed. I installed SteamInstall.exe with cedega in a folder i named Steam. Cedega managed to update steam (the update "walked" quickly towards 26%, the update window disapeared 4 seconds, popped up again and went towards 100%). My cedega can not run steam (don't know why). After cedega had updated steam i moved steam from cedega's drive to .wine (.wine is hidden but can be made visible with view>Show Hidden Files or ctrl + h)

/home/MYUSERNAME/TransGaming_Drive/Program Files/Steam
    to
    /home/MYUSERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program files/Steam

Then i went to .wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam$ in a console/terminal and typed "wine steam.exe". After a moment steam started.

During my download of counterstrike, the download stopped after some time. Steam also froze some times after the download had stopped. Then i closed the terminal I had typed "wine steam.exe" in (steam exits/stop when the console is closed), opened another terminal and typed "wine steam.exe", some time later steam became visible(take some time). I watched the system monitor and it showed me that the download started quickly after I typed wine steam.exe. Why the download stoped, I do not really know. I looked like a timeout or something. May be because I used wireless.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast