Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with sound in Gens

Beans
    Hidden!

Problem with sound in Gens

Hey folks,
    So I've installed Gens via one of those guides floating around out there. Anyway, it works great but for one thing. There is a sound delay problem. That is, once an action has occurred onscreen, the sound for that action happens about a second afterwards. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, do you know how to fix it? Or, does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be going wrong? I've fiddled as much as I can with the emulator's settings, so I'm guessing it must be another issue.

Beans
    Hidden!

Problem occurs in Frozen Bubble 2.0 as well

I've recently installed Frozen Bubble 2.0 and I'm getting the same problem with the game that I get with Gens: sound delay. I'm of the understanding that both of these apps use the SDL libraries, so I'm wondering if the problem could be stemming from that.

Also, I just installed a forum member's precompiled Gens package HERE, used the OpenGL graphic setting, and I still have the delay problem. Anybody know anything about this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Problem with sound in Gens

I've got the exact same problem also, and have had on several installs the package is great (should be in dapper backports and/or multiverse) but sadly playing Sonic with lagged sound sucks big fish.

Anyone got any ideas what the problem is?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I'm getting a sound delay as well. Nothing too major but slightly annoying.

Using a chaintech av-710 w/ALSA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Found a solution, as I was also getting these delays as well.

Install the "libsdl1.2debian-all" package. It will remove the -alsa version, but it fixes the lag problem.

Set the display in Gens to OpenGL, and set the sound rate to 44100. Tada!
    Last edited by jpeddicord; December 16th, 2006 at 08:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jacobmp92 View Post
    Found a solution, as I was also getting these delays as well.

Install the "libsdl1.2debian-all" package. It will remove the -alsa version, but it fixes the lag problem.

Set the display in Gens to OpenGL, and set the sound rate to 44100. Tada!
    The weird thing is that I had discovered this solution before, only it broke the sound in Flash, and I wasn't willing to give that up. The sound in Gens, Frozen Bubble, and Flash all seem to be working fine now though...well that's a problem solved for me.

Thanks for posting this solution. I hadn't actually bothered with Gens for a while now and so haven't even been thinking about the problem (except when I play the odd game of Frozen Bubble).

Beans

Hate to bump this, but i've used the suggested solution and it didn't work for me...

This applies to more than just gens for me though, Diablo2, Quake4, and Unreal Tournament99,

There are no sound delays in UT2004 (native client) and quake3 under wine.

Is there anything else that can be done?

Beans
    Hidden!

I've just installed a fresh Dapper, and the problem has resurfaced. Even though I have the libsdl1.2debian-all package installed, the sound is still laggy in Gens. I'm trying to work through what I might have done differently with my previous install. I'm sure it's something I modified in my xorg.conf...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I hate to nag but per chance is that gens package available in 64 bit? it crashes trying to run it on 64 bit with the --force-architechture switch
    The box said to install Windows XP or better.... so I installed Linux

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm not sure...haven't had the need for a 64-bit package myself. You'll want to poke around in the package's thread to get some real answers, though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast