Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Official - Microsoft to Sue Linux Users!!!

Beans

Exclamation It's Official - Microsoft to Sue Linux Users!!!

" Check out Microsoft's Patent arsenal here. According to Steve
    Ballmer, "...every Linux customer basically has an undisclosed
    balance-sheet liability."..."
    Link to the
    [US Patent & Trademark Office, Patent Full Text and Image Database]

More in this thread

Novel starting to recognize the truth.....
    "

Unbending the Truth:
    Things Microsoft Hopes You Won't Notice

Recently Microsoft has been challenging the suitability of Linux for the enterprise, bending the truth quite a bit to make it fit their view of the world. This site is dedicated to unbending the truth and setting the record straight. Take the time to explore the facts, and you'll understand why Microsoft is challenging Linux, and why Linux is often a better choice than Windows for satisfying the business needs of enterprises."
    Last edited by cantormath; November 20th, 2006 at 02:01 AM.
    Linux Hardware Boycott!
    How Many People Have you Converted To Linux?
    HD-DVD code:I cant tell you because I got an infraction for posting it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: It's Official - Microsoft to Sue Linux Users!!!

Hello,

You might be jumping to conclusions just a little with your subject line. For an interesting discussion of this matter go over to slashdot.org and read their thread on the Novel/Microsoft deal. Lots of opinions flying about, many same as yours, but some taking a different view: MS would be foolish to start an I.P. war at this point (especially with the EU and DOJ recent court rulings), however they ARE in a good position to launch FUD...

Best regards,
    Dave

Beans

I am just sharing the evidence.....the title does not mean that they are sueing anyone, but the arsenal is there and what Steve Ballmer said is not to be taken lightly.
    Linux Hardware Boycott!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would like to know how someone like me, not in the USA can possibly be affected by this, I am seriously considering contacting some friends who are heavily involved in unions to start a campaign against this.

Are they going to use methods similar to the RIAA? probably lol.

I also want to know how, if linux is affected by this, mac isn't.

Would using hurd change this? (obviously barely anyone would be able to run that )

This is what i found about New Zealand software patents, so they may not exist yet
    No Software Patents In Europe

The European Commission, which originally supported software patents has reversed its position, and now wants to exclude software from being patented. Last year the commission fased off against the European Council which opposed software patents. This is in stark contrast to the proposed New Zealand Patent Bill which not only does not exclude software, but also fails to address concerns over the ease which software patents are granted, leaving citizens to fight expensive legal battles even when prior art exists.
    By Feynmanfan at 25/05/2006
    How much could the kernel be changed/crippled to nullify microsofts claims? Will google stand up for us? Will IBM? I want to know, or is this some thing that's going to take years to complete?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Until Monkey Boy actually does something, it's FUD.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

would it be possible to compile a list to show which countries are most at risk from possibly being sued by MS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by YaseenKriel View Post
    would it be possible to compile a list to show which countries are most at risk from possibly being sued by MS?
    You know i think thats a great idea. I presume the US is the most at risk. The question is how much risk is the rest of the world really at? Would governments be willing to step on this? probably not no one really cares about freedom these days!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YaseenKriel View Post
    HAHAHAHA,

Well, Im guessing the USA is at the top.
    Sweden is at the bottom,
    As for Iran or china, they still could care less about US laws.
    Linux Hardware Boycott!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I really don't see how, even here in the USA, Microsoft could just overlook/violate the GPL that Linux uses and try to sue any one. A judge already stated that the GPL works just fine, so they cannot violate it. If they did by stating that MS can't work with Linux, fine, I will stop using MS 100%. My machine with XP is rarely used. My wife uses Mac and Ubuntu, I use Ubutnu. No matter what happens, law suits, what ever, I will be using Ubuntu until they rip it from my cold dead hands. This is just nonsense. If Microsoft wants me back as a customer law suits will not work. They need to open their code and make their OS work for me.

Also, if there is a way to change this header, I would advise it be changed. The title here gave me the impresion that I was going to get a letter in the mail from Bill Gates or something.

Beans

I don't see this coming into practices
    Edward A Robinson -- www.earobinson.org

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast