Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PClinuxOS talk

Beans

Re: PClinuxOS talk

I am going to have to eat my words here. Despite my bias against PCLOS I installed SAM last night (PCLOS with Xfce)... and I really like it. If you have any recollection of my previous posts, two of the projects I have been most harsh to are PCLOS and Xfce. Never have been a big fan of either (althouh DreamLinux has a nice Xfce setup). I'm still tinkering, and I do have a few gripes with SAM... but overall it's rock solid. And the inclusion of OO.o 2.2rc is a GREAT touch. I've played a little with it and its soooo much nicer than 2.0.4 in Ubuntu, and I think it blows MS Office 2003 away too (especially with impress... much slicker interface than PowerPoint). I will do a more formal review in my blog (see link in sig) later today if anyone wants more info on it before trying it.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

I liked SAM as well. It was very nice. I am still a pclinuxos2007 supporter. It just runs plenty fast for a kde based distro, but I have been able to add gnome, xfce, fluxbox, etc., just like in Ubuntu. Right now, both distros are very comparable.

The lacking of root by default in Ubuntu is the only drawback to Ubuntu. This is easily remedied though by looking at the wiki..

Give it a try.
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Beans

PCLinuxOS becomes PCUbuntuOS

Some would say this is good news...I don't. It's a shame they are forking off of Ubuntu.

PCLinuxOS becomes PCUbuntuOS

Submitted by srlinuxx on Sun, 04/01/2007 - 07:29.
    pclos

Interviews

PCLinuxOS founder Texstar said in a private interview that they would using Ubuntu for the base of future versions of PCLinuxOS. Citing the old adage 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em,' Texstar states that PCLinuxOS 2007 will be delayed for another six months or so while the new change is implemented.
    When asked why they would make such a drastic change Texstar said, "If Ubuntu is going to take over the Linux world, then perhaps we should be on the winning team."
    Texstar also said that the upcoming default interface would indeed be gnome. He added, "All indications point to a confused user when faced with too many choices and Gnome has the built-in advantage of limited user configuration and customization."
    What of all your software in the PCLOS repository, I asked. Texstar answered, "Again, it seems that the new influx of Linux users just does not want too much freedom of choice. This makes things easier for the developer in that I will not need to recompile all those packages for our new PCUbuntuOS. It seems clear that most users are happy having one app chosen for them for each task and we should be able to fit most onto a standard cdrom sized iso. We see no further need of an online repository of thousands of extra applications compiled especially for our distro anymore."
    Texstar explains their position on sudo by saying, "Sudo is a very important element of the Ubuntu experience. It offers numerous capabilities while advocating very little concern over restrictive security issues. Sudo makes sure anyone can execute any command desired without having administration privileges. It removes all the unnecessary permission confusion for the new Linux user."
    Not quite all the developers on the PCLOS team will be staying on during and after the conversion. Sal is quoted as saying, "This is bullsh*t! If I wanted to work on Ubuntu, I would have joined their development team long ago and got paid for it." OClient is quoted as saying, "I'm taking the sources to the current PCLOS and forking it to my own distro. I'll be calling it PCRealLinuxOS."
    When asked how he felt about the dissention in the ranks, Tex said, "Well, it was to be expected. Humans naturally resist change, however good for them it may be. Most of us are excited about the change and all the extra free time it will give us."
    In closing, Texstar stated to look for a test of PCUbuntuOS to be posted sometime in the near future.

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/14885

Beans

My first reaction was ew, why? Why does the world need ANOTHER Ubuntu clone? We have enough. But then, I thought perhaps this could be good. PCLOS has, from mandriva, a really good GUI control centre. Also, while PCLOS has struggled with their KDE implementation in 0.93, from the little I saw of 2007 it seemed to be a step up. Perhaps they can finally make a worthwhile KDE release of Ubuntu. Mepis and Kubuntu have never tickled my fancy.

PS... should we move this thread to the Debian section now?

PPS... Sorry, i just read the whole thing... i'm so sick of gnome. Very saddened by this news. Also very worried that my new distro SAM will move to the Ubuntu codebase as well, which would sadden me. I like it the way it is now.
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    My first reaction was ew, why? Why does the world need ANOTHER Ubuntu clone? We have enough. But then, I thought perhaps this could be good. PCLOS has, from mandriva, a really good GUI control centre. Also, while PCLOS has struggled with their KDE implementation in 0.93, from the little I saw of 2007 it seemed to be a step up. Perhaps they can finally make a worthwhile KDE release of Ubuntu. Mepis and Kubuntu have never tickled my fancy.

PS... should we move this thread to the Debian section now?

PPS... Sorry, i just read the whole thing... i'm so sick of gnome. Very saddened by this news. Also very worried that my new distro SAM will move to the Ubuntu codebase as well, which would sadden me. I like it the way it is now.

agreed this whole thing saddens me too, I'm very dissappointed, I LOVE PClinuxOS and agree that we don't need another ubuntu clone, there are a few simply beautiful things I love about PClinuxOS, it's simple, very simple BUT it STILL offers me alot of choices, and I'm sorry to be rude but I hate this ******** being said that the avg user doesn't want choices, the people who don't want choices will use the standard apps supplied, standard themes, etc. and not touch the customization tools HOW IS THAT CONFUSING?! there's way too much idiocy behind this to comprehend it, ALSO if they wish to make it simpler to use KDE is much easier than gnome for the average windows user, it's set up much like it. . . AND KDE is much more powerful as far as supported apps go
    also it's fast very fast, ubuntu is quick on my system, quicker still with kde instead of gnome, however PClinuxOS 2007 is much faster, people HATE slow machines I can't see how switching to the slower ubuntu base, and the slower gnome desktop can help them at all, I see them losing alot of users like this

some people hate ubuntu too, almost as many as hate openSUSE now, because ubuntu hsa become cocky, "it's our way or the highway" and the ubuntu way is not the only way and not necessarily the best way, CONFORMITY IS THE JAILER OF FREEDOM AND THE ENEMY OF CREATIVITY, I feel that if everyone switches to the "ubuntu way" there will not be enough focus on other, possible better methods.
    People also don't like Mark, he's an *** alot of the time the note to openSUSE developers proved alot about the man, like i said, there are a number of reasons many people will be upset about the switch, PClinuxOS will go from being a front-runner in innovation to next to nothing I'm sure, ubuntu wil remain on top (fine with me, but I stated my problems with this earlier) once again, ubuntu conquers another competitor, I understand it's not ubuntu's decision, it's not a hostile take over, however some people may not see it this way, and I think ubuntu might (however wrong it is) start to be considered the Micro$hit of the linux world

just my two cents
    Love running state of the art for free rather than a bad kde copy for hundreds, ONCE YOU GO PENGUIN NEVER WINDOWS AGAIN!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkenedday View Post

agreed this whole thing saddens me too, I'm very dissappointed, I LOVE PClinuxOS and agree that we don't need another ubuntu clone, there are a few simply beautiful things I love about PClinuxOS, it's simple, very simple BUT it STILL offers me alot of choices, and I'm sorry to be rude but I hate this ******** being said that the avg user doesn't want choices, the people who don't want choices will use the standard apps supplied, standard themes, etc. and not touch the customization tools HOW IS THAT CONFUSING?! there's way too much idiocy behind this to comprehend it, ALSO if they wish to make it simpler to use KDE is much easier than gnome for the average windows user, it's set up much like it. . . AND KDE is much more powerful as far as supported apps go
    also it's fast very fast, ubuntu is quick on my system, quicker still with kde instead of gnome, however PClinuxOS 2007 is much faster, people HATE slow machines I can't see how switching to the slower ubuntu base, and the slower gnome desktop can help them at all, I see them losing alot of users like this

some people hate ubuntu too, almost as many as hate openSUSE now, because ubuntu hsa become cocky, "it's our way or the highway" and the ubuntu way is not the only way and not necessarily the best way, CONFORMITY IS THE JAILER OF FREEDOM AND THE ENEMY OF CREATIVITY, I feel that if everyone switches to the "ubuntu way" there will not be enough focus on other, possible better methods.
    People also don't like Mark, he's an *** alot of the time the note to openSUSE developers proved alot about the man, like i said, there are a number of reasons many people will be upset about the switch, PClinuxOS will go from being a front-runner in innovation to next to nothing I'm sure, ubuntu wil remain on top (fine with me, but I stated my problems with this earlier) once again, ubuntu conquers another competitor, I understand it's not ubuntu's decision, it's not a hostile take over, however some people may not see it this way, and I think ubuntu might (however wrong it is) start to be considered the Micro$hit of the linux world

just my two cents
    Great quote, whats the original source, I am curious.

I agree with you completely. In linux, conformity == death. Security comes from variability in code. Choice comes from variability in code. Hell, one of the main reasons I use linux is because when I get bored I can change distro's and get some variability.

I think Textars line about "If you can't beat them, join them" is about the worst thing you could say. No one is going to "win". If you think it is about winning and cornering the market, why are you making linux distro's? Go work for Microsoft. Thats what THEY do. If he said they were switching because of issues with Mandriva's code and by switching they could solve some problems, I can deal with that. But this "we want to be on the winning side" crap sickens me, and I want nothing to do with this. In fact, if the developers do fork the code for PCLOS, I am strongly inclined to support this new project, where otherwise I might not have.

EDIT: OMFG... today is april 1... we've just been totally suckered I believe...
    Last edited by igknighted; April 2nd, 2007 at 12:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    Great quote, whats the original source, I am curious.

I agree with you completely. In linux, conformity == death. Security comes from variability in code. Choice comes from variability in code. Hell, one of the main reasons I use linux is because when I get bored I can change distro's and get some variability.

I think Textars line about "If you can't beat them, join them" is about the worst thing you could say. No one is going to "win". If you think it is about winning and cornering the market, why are you making linux distro's? Go work for Microsoft. Thats what THEY do. If he said they were switching because of issues with Mandriva's code and by switching they could solve some problems, I can deal with that. But this "we want to be on the winning side" crap sickens me, and I want nothing to do with this. In fact, if the developers do fork the code for PCLOS, I am strongly inclined to support this new project, where otherwise I might not have.

EDIT: OMFG... today is april 1... we've just been totally suckered I believe...

quote's from JFK, i might have messed it up a bit, got it off my art teacher, genious of a woman, but got fired for it

any way

I doubt this is a joke, there was a link in the post about this and it seems like a legit article, even if it isn't maybe the outrage it caused, not just in this forum, they'll never consider it
    Love running state of the art for free rather than a bad kde copy for hundreds, ONCE YOU GO PENGUIN NEVER WINDOWS AGAIN!

Beans
    Distro

maybe I'll file the switch as a bug report

EDIT: ok you were right, although that scared alot of people over at pclinuxOS, apparently not to many of them are really fond of ubuntu, and i was right some of them are beginning to equate ubuntu with MS haha

look here
    Last edited by darkenedday; April 2nd, 2007 at 01:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro

word of advice, if you use a Nvidia GeForce2 mx/mx 400 video card or a few similar ones, you may not want to use PClinuxOS untill the final release of 2007, which shouldn't be far way but still. PClinuxOS is still great even if you do have these cards and don't care about fancy 3d accelerated graphix

Beans

Yeh that report was a joke...

the 2007 version is finally out by the way, I am downloading it now.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast