View Poll Results: What do you think about this Ubuntu Commerical idea ?

Voters
490. You may not vote on this poll
  • good idea!

304 62.04%
  • good idea I wanna help!

122 24.90%
  • bad idea

53 10.82%
  • other (please explain)

11 2.24%
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu commercial

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Ubuntu commercial

it might be possible to look into a linux codec code named MILF (Movies In Linux Format) don't ask! Though i don't know how far along this project is really. It might be a possible avenue. Why do Linux users give stupid names to things?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by N'Jal
    Why do Linux users give stupid names to things?
    LOL
    I've Gnoticed this....Kbut can't figure it out xither
    C:\WINDOWS\RUN
    C:\WINDOWS\CRASH
    C:\ME\FDISK
    /usr/src/linux

If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... Oh wait, he does....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by obx-jdt
    How to install Flash Player (Macromedia Flash) Plug-in for Mozilla Firefox

sudo apt-get install flashplayer-mozilla

Restart Mozilla Firefox

You didn't know flash works on Linux (even Ubuntu)???
    the problem is :
    -that flash-player is non-free
    -there is no good free flash creation program for ubuntu

But flash is a good option to create a storyboard movie to work from IMO

Beans

I run Flash MX 2004 via VMware, I'm probably the only professional flash developer to use linux (exclusively) on the planet.

At any rate, if you are interested in seeing some of my work PM me. With the free time I have nowadays, I could put alot into this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If you are interested in helping out please go here :
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=282951

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ok i now have software to create a 'demo' promo, if someone can get video footage of ubuntu running on both a PC and a Mac that would be cool, and perhaps the ubuntu circle of friends that would be cool.

Email it to neilmunro _at_ gmail dot com

Beans

Exactly what is the premise behind this commercial? An increase in Linux awareness? an increase in Ubuntu "sales?" Promotion of the benefits of FOSS (Don't you dare try to use the phrase "free software" because a 30 second commercial is way too short to try and explain that you don't really mean "free software as in beer in the library" or whatever). Incidentally, that's funny.

I've got some marketing background and about 6 years in the IT industry at a professional level. And it sounds like you guys have no plan. You need to figure out the following:

1. Who/what is your target market?

Which to some degree will affect the answer to:
    2. Which aspect are you 'selling?'

Then you need to refine, find the particular features you want to present, and the image you want to present them with. Incidentally, that's why attacking the opposition (Microsoft, in this case, I guess) is a bad idea. It presents an image of combativeness and such that only seems to work for American politicians (do you REALLY want to have the same level of commercial as George W. Bush?).

The ideal commercial will emphasize Ubuntu's advantages and values in general without even mentioning a competing product except by implication. Let the viewer make the connection "Hey, one of whatever? That sounds SOO much better than Windows"). It presents a positive image; and some good-guy PR is never a bad thing. One can put in funny, but it's tricky....ridiculing the opposition directly presents a negative image. However, a fuzzy caricature can work (Like say, a user sitting at a screen that just keeps popping up random windows...anyone ever see that ISP commerical? ).

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Of course, the above opinions really apply best to serious commercials rather than net stunts
    Bryan Pizzuti
    MySpace Blog

----------------------------------------------------------
    The hardest freedom to acknowledge is the other guy's freedom to disagree with you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

npaladin2000 thanks for your input. We really need marketing guys!
    We still have to discuss 1 and 2 for the most part.

Beans

I've been pimping the hell out of Ubuntu localy (I had 20-32 bit CD's & 10-64 bit, have 1 of each now...) Even gave a 64 bit copy to a UNIX IT guy that hasn't had the time to try Linux yet LOL
    Sorry I haven't been on the forum much lately, but I've been workin' 7 daze a week, hand in hand with da' boss, with little time to spare. However, I see s break in my workload comming up very soon, in about a week or so....I'm still very much into this idea.
    I thought for sure it was rolling by now.
    I assum there is still no leader for the project. I wasn't looking/wanting it, but I'll step up to the plate if no one else will.
    I was PM'd some nice java work that I was impressed with.

Let me know if this is cool with everyone, the "I's" have it.....
    We can get started ASAP!
    I'm thinking we need to work on 2-3 projects at the same time, so we don't ware out the Ubuntu concept with the same old, same old......
    any how, it's late here, and I need to get to bed. I was going to post a polling thread about who should lead the team, but I'm not really sure who else it intreasted in the job....
    If you want me to head this gig, say so, if not, that's cool too....I'll still toss a few bones at ya'
    C:\WINDOWS\RUN
    C:\WINDOWS\CRASH
    C:\ME\FDISK
    /usr/src/linux

If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... Oh wait, he does....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

is this idea dead?
    "Treason is truth in an empire of lies” -Ron Paul

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast