Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holy smokes, I made a forum

Beans

Re: Holy smokes, I made a forum

Quote Originally Posted by Malphas
    The political discussion was already going before I posted. Also, I've yet to read any rule that forbids political discussion.
    There is only one area of the forum that political discussion is allowed, per the guidelines:
    "The Backyard" is an unmoderated section of the forum for highly controversial discussions such as religion, politics etc. Please keep it clean and professional. "XXX" Rated posts and attacks against personal individuals or groups will be removed.
    ??? :: ubuntu is my OS soul mate
    UDSF :: Forum Policies :: Unanswered Posts :: Ruby :: Donate
    official ubuntu member
    :: ??????? :: so say we all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

If you do stay the hell away from phpBB. It's absolute crap. Go with PunBB or SMF, or if you're prepared to pay, you may wish to use vBulletin (personally though, I think it's bloated and inferior).

I have a version of vbulletin in a zip file on my computer. Not sure if it works or not, I havnt tried it. I was on a site that used SMF and it didnt feel right. I personally like phpbb and vbulletin, but ill probably avoid phpbb now

A couple weeks ago I was looking at phpbb styles and found the PERFECT one for the site I am hoping to make. It looks very underground-ish and cool.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by kassetra
    There is only one area of the forum that political discussion is allowed, per the guidelines:
    You may wish to consider making that rule more explicit. The fact that there's a section for controversial discussions such as ones regarding politics doesn't make it immediately obvious that discussing politics is forbidden everywhere else. What about discussions about politics which aren't controversial, for example?

Beans

You may wish to consider making that rule more explicit. The fact that there's a section for controversial discussions such as ones regarding politics doesn't make it immediately obvious that discussing politics is forbidden everywhere else. What about discussions about politics which aren't controversial, for example?
    Currently, I have no desire to alter the guidelines - all politics, when discussed, are generally relegated to the alternate area.
    ??? :: ubuntu is my OS soul mate
    UDSF :: Forum Policies :: Unanswered Posts :: Ruby :: Donate
    official ubuntu member
    :: ??????? :: so say we all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The political discussion was already going before I posted.
    My post wasn't aimed at you in particular, sorry if you took it that way.
    Some people say I'm a man of few words, but the fact is that most people talk too much without actually saying anything.

Beans

It's not the basicness I have a problem with, PunBB is even more basic (but it also has mods and plugins for pretty much everything). My problems with phpBB are that it only outputs HTML 4.01 Transitional (PunBB outputs XHTML 1.0 Strict); it's buggy - even more so when you start throwing mods into the mix; 3.0 should have been completed years ago now, by the time it finally gets here it's going to be ridiculously dated (almost all of the new features are pretty much the standard now, and have been for some time); some of the development team left, which is no doubt going to make things worse; and the remaining developers have been badmouthing the users/community on their blogs.
    ahh... I haven't been with the "forum scene" for a while..

@xequence: that doesn't mean you have to stay away from phpbb... do what you want, though!

@kassetra: I like the santa hat.

Beans

Okay, I've updated everything. It's actually in working order (hopefully).

I've also deleted the "testing:testpass" account and created a guest account:

Login: guest
    pass: guest

Note: The registration will not actually register you. It will just send you an email.

Aside from a few touchups, I will leave this forum for a while now. When I come back to it, I will start from the ground again. After I've rebuilt it, I will put it out on the net as a downloadable beta. I would like to even make it available through the apt-get command.

Expect these things in the downloadable rebuild (beta):
    -Hexidecimal color customization
    -Full guide with configuration instructions and process map
    -MySQL adaptation
    -a name

What not to expect:
    -formatting with images
    -complexity
    -to be forced or obligated to donate

What to expect on the horizin:
    -admin browser customization interface
    -signatures
    -account section
    -Two versions: code-core and friendly-core
    -whatever else I think of....
    http://thehiddengrotto.com - old games and a couple dvd's 4 sale....

Beans
    Hidden!

i actually like IPB... it looks nice, and is easy to theme. i must try PunBB, however (does anyone know of a good free host?)

Zensunni - that's looking nice... quite lightweight
    So... a 1337 java programmer walks into a bar...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

This is looking interesting so far, I'll definately have to give it a try.

I'm more of a fan of IPB myself, since I know how it works, and how to skin it. I've always wanted to try phpBB for my own forum, but I may now try punBB instead. BTW, I dislike SMF...and I'm not too crazy on vBulletin either.

-Wild

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123