Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: notification balloons location - how to change?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: notification balloons location - how to change?

If you are unhappy with the new notification system, you can revert to the default:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge notify-osd
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install notification-daemon
    Reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

menu > prefrences > pop-up notifications
    and you should find the positioning there

or in the terminal
    Code:
    notification-properties

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cvaty View Post
    menu > prefrences > pop-up notifications
    and you should find the positioning there

or in the terminal
    Code:
    notification-properties
    Neither of these applications are available in Jaunty final. Are you possibly referring to apps that existed in Intrepid or one of the Jaunty beta releases?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by NTolerance View Post
    Neither of these applications are available in Jaunty final. Are you possibly referring to apps that existed in Intrepid or one of the Jaunty beta releases?
    If I type sudo notification-properties at a command prompt I get a dialogue box and I can change the positioning of the test dialogues. Note you must do sudo or nothing happens -
    this is on Jaunty final. However... it doesn't change the position of the balloons away from the top right regardless of the settings!

I will restart X and see if that makes a difference - no.

I came across this post when looking for a solution to having balloons AND a popup window for my mail notifier. Still looking for a solution for that.
    Last edited by mjbennison; May 5th, 2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Added results of restarting X

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the same problem and I don't have the "notification properties" menu entry either.

If the notification bubble position is hard-coded I'm going to lose respect for ubuntu developers. That would be the single most stupid design choice ever. In fact If I were the coder I would be ashamed to release it as stable before fixing this issue.

EDIT: It looks like "notification-properties" has nothing to do with new notification system. as far as I see it's for the old one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here's another potential issue with the new notification system. Yesterday I was watching a fullscreen video on Hulu. I needed to increase my system volume, so I used the multimedia volume key on my laptop to do so. The volume notification pop-up seemed to steal focus from the fullscreen video and caused it to exit from fullscreen mode. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Here's another potential issue with the new notification system. Yesterday I was watching a fullscreen video on Hulu. I needed to increase my system volume, so I used the multimedia volume key on my laptop to do so. The volume notification pop-up seemed to steal focus from the fullscreen video and caused it to exit from fullscreen mode. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
    I've had this problem, but only when using Compiz. If I turn off Compiz when using fullscreen video this is no longer an issue. I've gotten into the habit of turning off Compiz if I'm watching fullscreen flash video television-style anyways, due to the fact that it seems to perform better. I use the fusion-icon as a fast and easy way to switch between WMs.

Beans

U can revert to the older style notification by (commands in terminal):

1. Install the notification-daemon package:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install notification-daemon
    2. Rename the /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd executable

Code:
    sudo mv /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd-original
    3. Create a symbolic link:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/notification-daemon/notification-daemon /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd
    4. Kill the original notification:

Code:
    sudo killall notify-osd
    5. Launch the new notification - press alt+F2, type /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd

6. Test:

Code:
    notify-send test test
    With this older notification type u can use the notification-ptoperties tool to set the location of the notification pop ups

Beans

Smile Re: notification balloons location - how to change?

Quote Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
    Really disappointing to me... one of the biggest points linux fans are constantly making is how "customisable" linux is. "You can change anything" they always say. And here they are hard-coding something like that.

Of course it's not going to be pushing me away from Ubuntu. I am disappointed, however. I love the new system, I just don't ever see the notifications in the top-left like that.
    You can still delete the notification program and install a new one. That's customization to me...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Amenotep View Post
    You can still delete the notification program and install a new one. That's customization to me...
    That's a thin excuse, isn't it? It really can't be that hard for them to add a gconf setting, at the very least

I wouldn't mind it being in the bottom-right, where nothing else is happening on my desktop.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast