Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time to say good bye. This stuff still does not work.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Time to say good bye. This stuff still does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Seems like many people leave their OS -- doesn't really make much difference which one -- when some single disaster pushes them over the edge. Changing platform isn't easy and it isn't risk free.
    +1 It is the old greener pasture's scenario...but I found out very early in life that no mater where i go there "I"am

Beans

There are some who have a real forum presence (meaning more than 2 beans), but what they all seem to want is for people to be hurt by their departure or, at times, they want to be talked out of it.

The truth is, the Ubuntu organization does not get anything for this guy staying, nor does Canonical or any of the rest of us.

Nobody will lose sleep over this, except perhaps the OP.

I've been around computers almost as long as the OP. I remember punch cards when they were in use in viable businesses. I used to work with 9-track (open reel) tapes as a routine part of my job. I pretty much converted to Linux full-time on my desktop in 1996, and worked with UNIX and mainframes at work at that point. Now I maintain a lot of linux boxes, from several distros. I know as much as anyone how reliable and unreliable Linux can be.

The OP's misfortune seems like bad luck that can happen on any operating system. Frankly I find it hard to believe that someone who has been in the business as long as I have would tolerate a system that regularly crashes. Most IT professionals I know from my age group don't even tolerate errors in the logs, let alone a crash. And as was previously mentioned, a total of 4 forum posts on this forum. Draw whatever conclusions you will for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

What I found out is things just do not work the way people want them too sometimes. This is why I actually am working on another Linux distro because I was just not comfortable with ubuntu on *this* laptop. I still have it on another machine but oh well. Whatever works. I believe that Microsoft Windows is great for running a business because it costs money and can be written off because it is considered an asset. I can only see business people overseas in Europe and other places running Linux in the business sector. I just guess maybe Germany and the Danish. Just a guess. It is because they would do the same thing as we do in the US and buy the enterprise version of Linux to mark off as an asset.
    Some experience with Linux back in 1999, 2000 at a university. | I have a Windows XP Support technician certification. | I graduated from a 2 year college with a general studies and I'm an associate in Science. (A.S)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    +1 It is the old greener pasture's scenario...but I found out very early in life that no mater where i go there "I"am
    You know my friend, that is a lesson I am afraid many people, if not most of the people I know, either never seem to really appreciate or that the realization comes to them only in latter life after, trying this and that with the same results. I am impressed in that you figured that out, "very early in life". Seriously, no kidding. I know a lot of people professionally who, never seem to grasp this.

And ... I like the way you said that, "no matter where I go, there I am". Makes me smile again, to even type it now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This thread has run its course, and was starting to get a bit heated, therefore it's closed.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12