Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What would happen if you ran a windows virus using Wine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Re: What would happen if you ran a windows virus using Wine?

Do you relize that you have posted a a log of files on your system that appear to be not of the legal ilk if you will.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by redfez View Post
    Do you relize that you have posted a a log of files on your system that appear to be not of the legal ilk if you will.
    I do seriously hope you are joking and know those are fake files intended to make you think what you just said and open them...

If not, I laugh at your stupidity !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by redfez View Post
    YOU run a virus and lets see what stuff it decides to install for YOU and then we can blame YOU for it! Awesome!

Beans

Wow...look at all the warez in that folder, and to think it was all infected...That sucks man.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

This is why I run my windows applications inside a VMWare install of XP on vmware server. I just RDP into the machine and run what I need. If it goes all wonky, then I just restore back to the last known good snapshot and move on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon
    That's hilarious. I hope you got everything fixed, Mustard.

I guess this is just further testament to how well WINE works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jobo5432 View Post
    Wow...look at all the warez in that folder, and to think it was all infected...That sucks man.
    It's not warez at all...! It's infected files named to look like warez which will entice you to open said files..
    Last edited by MannaPC; February 24th, 2007 at 01:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well, two scans still finishing up, but I don't expect them to turn anything up, they haven't so far. I had a grand total of 1305 viruses on my computer. All in my /home/user partition and my /mnt/data partition that stores all my work. That is all! Probably will have to re-install a few of my wine programs but nothing more than time lost. If it had been windows that would not have been the case!

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Unless I've misread any of the posts nobody has actually touched on why it worked like it did. My understanding of Wine is that it's a "compatibility layer" (WINE itself stands for WINE IS NOT an EMULATOR). Being a compatibility layer it translates commands sent from windows programs into commands Linux understands, thus allowing the program to run. The comment about being in Russia and telling someone to F off is incorrect, wine works like the translator- it receives the foreign windows commands and tells your linux system how to make it work (the russian wouldnt know what you said until the translator told them, then they would understand, and get rightfully angry). Apparently the virus sent instructions to create or download files to the users main directory thus all the files in the /home directory and /usr directory.

or maybe im wrong.
    Last edited by oolunchbox; February 24th, 2007 at 03:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oolunchbox View Post
    Unless I've misread any of the posts nobody has actually touched on why it worked like it did.
    Because wine runs Windows programs.. including viruses, trojans, worms, etc. I've been saying this for a while but no one listens, now we have proof. And, as you saw from an earlier post, those viruses, trojans, worms can wreak havoc in any folder in $HOME as well as system folders. If the infected user runs a virus within the sudo timeout of running a command with sudo, the virus can gain sudo privs. Think about it, if the user runs "sudo command", there is a certain amount of time that the sudo password is cached. If the user runs a virus that calls sudo within that sudo cache timeframe, then the virus can run "sudo rm -rf /" and that command will succeed because the virus is running as the sudo user with sudo privs:

Quote Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
    I ended up finding more viruses in my usr directory way down deep in some /cups related sub directory. Somehow in all the sudo'ing and mucking around I have managed to trash my Evolution Inbox, so I ended up throwing the mondo backup CD into the drive and restored the system that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
    It seemed to be limited to my home folder and the /usr directory. It was interesting to watch on etherape. As soon as I executed it, I could see all those connections starting up with unfamiliar IP's all around the world and it similtaneously started downloading different versions of itself onto the system. I should have deleted the ones that I still had sitting in the email inbox first, before doing a 'mv' command on all the other virii that had been downloaded, as the way I went about cleaning them up didn't sit well with Evolution afterwards. It no longer recognised my default account in the Inbox. That's about the only damage I can say for sure was done and that is more related to my clumsy command line work than anything else.
    This is why I say wine/cedega/cxoffice/other are bad things and should not be used at all. It wouldn't be hard (probably already been done) to write a keylogger into a Windows file and capture every keystroke you make and send all your personal info to a server where it is sold to the highest bidder. Some folks think that running Windows apps in wine offers them some layer of protection against bad Windows apps, but this is simply a myth.

I don't know about others, but the files in my $HOME are more important to me than the rest of the system. I won't ever use Windows files on any of my systems.. and now you see why.
    Last edited by ardchoille42; February 24th, 2007 at 08:20 AM.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast