Thread: gnomed vs. kde

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

gnomed vs. kde

which is best? And why?
    kubuntu vs. ubuntu

gnomed vs. kde

I know Linus Torvalds loves kde... I did read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE

I just dont get it... kubuntu vs. ubuntu and gnomed vs. kde

if you read this thread, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=vnc+ssh

the original poster 'ApocoLypTus' was in panicked mode because he was gnomed.

so, I am confused... which is better? why?

thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: gnomed vs. kde

Neither is better, it's a matter of taste; try both and make up your own mind. From what I hear, Kubuntu's implementation of KDE isn't as good as it could be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It's called GNOME not gnomed.

This should be moved to recurring discussions in 3...

Edit: I forgot to vote. KDE is better. It's not just my opinion, it's a fact.

Beans
    Hidden!

no xfce or lxde? Openbox? Fluxbox?

What a restrictive poll.

But if I had to choose between the two as of now: GNOME.

When GNOME-shell becomes default: KDE.

My current computer cannot run KDE though with its low specs, so in 3-4 years, I plan to look at a new computer.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Psumi View Post
    no xfce or lxde? Openbox? Fluxbox?

What a restrictive poll.
    It is titled "gnomed vs kde"...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

moved to recurring discussions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

>>When GNOME-shell becomes default: KDE.
    I am not sure what that means?

If I could edit the poll, I would most definitely add xfce or lxde? Openbox? or Fluxbox? I thought about it... but figured I need to narrow it down in order to have laser focus thread. By all means, if you want to discuss others... go for it.

I mean I do understand that it is all about flavors... and different strokes, for different folks...

I am just trying to find out the advantages, disadvantages... what is most secure, light, fast, reliable... and why? I just never seemed to figure out why?

'ApocoLypTus' was freaking out that he got gnomed... so, I wondered... that bad!

Beans
    Distro

>>When GNOME-shell becomes default: KDE.
    GNOME-shell is a new interface for GNOME, meant to be used with GNOME 3. A lot of people don't like it, hence the ">>When GNOME-shell becomes default: KDE." Implying they will switch to KDE when GNOME-shell becomes default. Personally I think it's pretty stupid, it won't be difficult to keep the current panel interface along with the new one anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLinx View Post
    GNOME-shell is a new interface for GNOME, meant to be used with GNOME 3. A lot of people don't like it, hence the ">>When GNOME-shell becomes default: KDE." Implying they will switch to KDE when GNOME-shell becomes default. Personally I think it's pretty stupid, it won't be difficult to keep the current panel interface along with the new one anyway.
    gnome-shell --replace killalls gnome-panel. if it can't kill/all gnome-panel it'll spit out a fatal warning saying DISPLAY X:X is already running gnome-panel.

The new notification tray in gnome-shell will make it impossible for a panel on bottom to be placed, as the notification tray is in the lower right.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Psumi View Post
    gnome-shell --replace killalls gnome-panel. if it can't kill/all gnome-panel it'll spit out a fatal warning saying DISPLAY X:X is already running gnome-panel.

The new notification tray in gnome-shell will make it impossible for a panel on bottom to be placed, as the notification tray is in the lower right.
    You can tell I've been out of the scene for a while haha. That sucks, but I think by the time GNOME 3.0 comes around they'll have implemented some sort of fix, or a work around will be found soon after.

If anything, it can always be forked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast