Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Latest madwifi svn snapshot

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Latest madwifi svn snapshot

Quote Originally Posted by pugs
    That makes quite a bit of sense...thanks alot.

I did think up another question for you. I know the -ng is supposed to add some extra "enhanced" features... The main ones that might be of interest at least to me are things like SuperG mode...Is it possible to run up to 108 Mbps or not yet? The other one is the XR to gain some distance from the router, not a biggy for me, but some might find it useful.

There is some info here about changing some of the modes but I think the -ng might be different:

http://madwifi.org/wiki/FAQ/HowDoI

There it mentions putting it into mode 3, however with the -ng drivers I have now, when I do: iwpriv ath0 get_mode it returns 11g instead of just an integer...looks like it is a 6 character string now. Also, get_turbo returns 1. However my Router doesnt have a setting for static turbo mode so I may not be able to see higher speeds anyway.
    Well as usual, I am a moron. There is a nice users guide in the docs directory included with the madwifi-ng source. It answers alot of this. Apparently Mode 6 is what you want for 11g with dynamic turbo. But either it is not implemented yet or I have issues. I am guessing the former since I can switch from mode 3 to 2 and back easily enough. When I try to go to mode 6 I get this:

root@BigLaptop:/usr/src/madwifi-ng/docs# iwpriv ath0 mode 6
    Interface doesn't accept private ioctl...
    mode (8BE2): Invalid argument

Yes, I got sick of typing sudo...especially on something I will probably end up reinstalling a few times before I get a nice clean install that I want to use

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2687
    robert@linux:/usr/src/madwifi-ng$ sudo make
    Checking requirements... FAILED
    The 'uudecode' tool was not found on your system. Please make sure
    it is installed in your PATH, then try again.
    make: *** [sanitycheck] Error 1
    Sorry I missed this earlier. I just used Adept for all the package install/removal. If you have all the repositories enabled and type in uudecode it should sniff out the package you need. Well, you made me do it...the package that contains it is sharutils

Also, if you plan to us ifup/ifdown you will probalby want to add something like:

post-down wlanconfig ath0 destroy

to the interfaces file. I ran into a little problem with that while trying to get WPA-PSK running...still no luck with that. There are some wpa settings accessible through iwpriv but I do not know if that affects using the card as a station or as an access point...I guess 128 bit wep will have to do for now...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, I get an error with wpa_supplicant
    "Association request to the driver failed"
    It seems to have a problem associating with the AP or something. If I set ap_scan in wpa_supplicant.conf to 2 then it like half associates with the ap or something O_o ... iwconfig will show the right essid and give a signal strength but the mac address says 00:00:00:00...

Beans
    Hidden!

Have you looked at this?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WPAHowto

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lambert
    Have you looked at this?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WPAHowto
    That is the one I tried following this time around. I am not sure where they are going from with that. They say to "Now simply start wpa_supplicant in debug mode for testing" well they dont mention if you should shutdown the connection or have it running or what. I tried it a few different ways, but may not have tried all combinations. I dont know if they are starting with a working wireless connection or what...I will give it another shot when I get some time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Only the latest stable version of wpasupplicant has support for madwifi-ng.
    Edit: yup, recompiling did the trick.
    Last edited by Rob2687; December 25th, 2005 at 03:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question Re: HOWTO: Latest madwifi svn snapshot

Code:
     root@harpoonix:/usr/src/madwifi-ng# wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta
    wlanconfig: ioctl: No such device
    ?? what does this mean

Nevermind...rebooted and then the command worked.

I do however have an ath0 and a wifi0 interfaces both. Only the ath0 has wireless extensions though...
    Last edited by Vetto; December 25th, 2005 at 10:09 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2687
    Only the latest stable version of wpasupplicant has support for madwifi-ng.
    Edit: yup, recompiling did the trick.
    So did you have to download wpasupplicant and compile it yourself?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pugs
    So did you have to download wpasupplicant and compile it yourself?
    Yes.
    I followed the madwifi wiki posted a few posts back.

If you still want to wpasupplicant service to start at bootup, make install will put the new wpasupplicant in /usr/local/bin so you need to edit /etc/init.d/wpasupplicant and add that folder to the file.
    Last edited by Rob2687; December 25th, 2005 at 09:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: madwifi-ng from svn snapshot

Quote Originally Posted by Lambert
    2.0 Configure for boot
    When you reboot the interface will not be set up. Add a line like this for the interface in the /etc/network/interfaces

pre-up wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta

Example

iface ath0 inet dhcp
    pre-up wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0wlanmode sta
    wireless-essid xxxx
    wireless-key xxxx
    This got my Netgear WG511T pccard working finally, but upon bootup it hangs at "configuring network interfaces"... eventually reports OK then FAILS at "Waiting for network interfaces to come up"

All I have to do to get it up is press the "activate" button in kcmwifi (KDE3.5) once the system is loaded. ANy ideas?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast