Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New GIMP book comming in April '06

Beans
    Hidden!

Cool New GIMP book comming in April '06

"Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional explains how to use the open source image manipulation program, GIMP version 2.4. You’ll learn how to install GIMP on Windows, Linux, and MacOS X platforms. Once you’ve installed the application, you'll learn about the interface and configuration options, and then jump into a quick-and-simple project to familiarize yourself even further.

You'll learn how to prepare camera images for display on web pages—including functions like rescaling, cropping, and balancing color. The book also explains with great detail how to utilize layers, paths, and masks. You’ll also learn how to draw lines and shapes, use patterns and gradients, and even create your own brushes, patterns, and gradients.

Touch-ups are covered thoroughly: how to smudge away blemishes, fix red-eye, and stitch panoramic images. You'll even learn how to tap into the powerful filters, effects, and plug-ins that are available and automate tasks using scripts. The entire book is laied out in a project-based manner, so as you progress through it, numerous projects help solidify your newly acquired abilities."

Seems to be cool. Ive been wanting a up-to-date GIMP book. I wish I knew French for this. Is there a English version?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: New GIMP book comming in April '06

sounds good. btw, that's a wicked helpful link in your sig. thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

No prob.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Kewl I think this will go a long way to support the continued spread of gimp as a serious contender as a imaging program.
    quick program launch left mac type bar

Started by Omnios, December 30th, 2007 11:49 AM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Omnios
    Kewl I think this will go a long way to support the continued spread of gimp as a serious contender as a imaging program.
    Hopefully when it becomes a single-windowed graphics app that functions as good as Photoshop. Until then, there will be nobody switching from paid programs. Right now, it's a competitor only to Paint Shop Pro and under.
    I know you...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirin
    Hopefully when it becomes a single-windowed graphics app that functions as good as Photoshop. Until then, there will be nobody switching from paid programs. Right now, it's a competitor only to Paint Shop Pro and under.
    Please try to stay on-topic. I dont want this becoming a PS vs. GIMP thread. If you would like to go that way please start a new thread or join the MANY others.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hey. Cool beans. I just recieved a email back from the books author, Akkana Peck. She uses Breezy on her laptop and used Hoary for most of the book.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMusicAddict

I wish I knew French for this. Is there a English version?

Linux is crazy popular in most of Europe, when I was in Germany they had whole shelves on nothing but Linux/Linux related books.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Agree Bigtime.
    Seperate windows that do not sync when in or out of focus is stupid. Photoshop does not always function as a single window however when you minimise a window, they all minimise. This can be really handy when working with multiple applications at the same time.
    Cheers
    muz

Beans
    Hidden!

Ive actually been meaning to update this. Im ordering the book tomorrow. Anyone else get it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast