Thread: Take-away posters for Ubuntu - help requested

Beans

Arrow Take-away posters for Ubuntu - help requested

Hi,

I'm actually a Debian user, but I have been following the Ubuntu distribution very closely, and it is only my lazyness that has so far prevented me from actually switching to Ubuntu, as I find Ubuntu very appealing.

Reading a danish Linux-forum, I saw that it was possible to order CDs of Ubuntu without any cost, and I just ordered 10.

My initial plan was to get my friends hooked up on the idea of trying out Ubuntu first, but the idea evolved into thinking about putting up some sort of poster on my local university campus, and hanging/attaching a pair of Ubuntu Live-CD/Installer CDs to each poster, so people could try Ubuntu out, by taking home a copy, and when done, returning them, or optionally just writing me a mail that they kept the CD, so that I can order new ones.

My intention is for the poster to give a short summary of what Ubuntu is, and why trying it out would be a good, fun and hazardless experience. But this is where I come up short, I have little experience in making such posters, and would really appreciate if someone could do the posters, so all that I would have to do is to print them out, hang them up, and supply the Ubuntu CDs along the way as people take them.

Anyone interested in following up on this? As I am no Ubuntu user myself (not even GNOME, I use fluxbox ) I would have a hard time () highlighting the advantages of Ubuntu compared to what I am otherwise used to.

Obvious pointers are of course:
    - No viruses / spyware
    - Easy updating of all your software
    - A above-and-beyond support in form of a great community
    - Regular updates to your software
    - Easily customizable desktop enabling you to do what YOU want, with the software you want

I'm sure you have many more, any takers?

Re: Take-away posters for Ubuntu - help requested

An interesting idea. Certainly one that would have better success in certain areas then others. Unfortunately it probably wouldn't work on most U.S. campuses, due to a combination of ignorance and distrust. Most people I know who (on U.S. campuses) know enough about computers to understand such a poster would never take a CD from it and stick it in their computer.

Depending on the attitudes around your campus, maybe giving fliers (maybe a CD w/ a paper sleeve and Ubuntu info printed on it) to several Computer Science classes would prove more successful. Maybe asking an Intro to Computer instructor if you can pass them out and say a few words too.

A link and short instructions on how to download an official copy would certainly be a good addition.

Beans

Posters is definitely a great idea, but based on my school-marketing experience I agree with Boiler98. We will do posters, but it is to be very good considered where to place them and twice as more considered where to stick a CD to it. Because, you don't want to find the CDs in the trash around the corner. CS labs is a great place to begin, I think.

I just moved to Ubuntu few days ago, does anyone know a good vectro-graphic SW for linux? Somethink like Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator on Windows plattform?

Jan

Beans

I'v heard of several people using Inkscape. Haven't used myself, though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith
    Obvious pointers are of course:
    - No viruses / spyware
    - Easy updating of all your software
    - A above-and-beyond support in form of a great community
    - Regular updates to your software
    - Easily customizable desktop enabling you to do what YOU want, with the software you want
    Um...you forgot THE big one for college kids:

Ubuntu is a FREE operating system with thousands of FREE programs that compete with PAY-FOR windows commericial apps. Be sure to mention that this is a legal type of FREE (aka: no lawsuits) unlike say a Kazaa free.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kozuch
    Posters is definitely a great idea, but based on my school-marketing experience I agree with Boiler98. We will do posters, but it is to be very good considered where to place them and twice as more considered where to stick a CD to it. Because, you don't want to find the CDs in the trash around the corner. CS labs is a great place to begin, I think.
    Sure, but people tend to be rather well behaved in Denmark, so I can't see the harm really, and I could always try to do posters first, adding my e-mail to the poster, so people could write me for the CDs, and if demand was high, just put them directly on the poster. In any case, once the poster has been done, all the work is on me (printing, hanging it up, replying to people, lending out CDs), so what's the harm in trying?

I just moved to Ubuntu few days ago, does anyone know a good vectro-graphic SW for linux? Somethink like Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator on Windows plattform?
    Definately Inkscape, tried Sodipodi myself, but Inkscape sounds like the better tool at the moment. Didn't GIMP also just recently add vector-capabilities in the newest release?