Thread: Newbie Problem - Error in package installation - help, I think I broke my system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

FIXEDNewbie Problem - Error in package installation - help, I think I broke my system

I tried installing this music package through my Applications menu but something went very wrong.

I have scoured the internet trying to find a fix for it, but I don't understand what the problem is so it makes it harder to fix.

This is the what bash tells me after I try
    Code:
    apt-get -f upgrade
    Code:
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    (Reading database ... 84241 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace lilypond-data 2.6.3-9~breezy1 (using .../lilypond-data_2.6.3-9~breezy1_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement lilypond-data ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/lilypond-data.postrm: line 23: /usr/bin/kpsewhich: No such file or directory
    dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 1
    dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 23: /usr/bin/kpsewhich: No such file or directory
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/lilypond-data_2.6.3-9~breezy1_all.deb (--unpack):
     subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 1
    /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 23: /usr/bin/kpsewhich: No such file or directory
    dpkg: error while cleaning up:
     subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/lilypond-data_2.6.3-9~breezy1_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    I usually don't try to ask for help, but try to work it out on my own... you learn more about your system that way, but I have spent the last day or two trying to figure this out and am getting nowhere.

hope someone can help

Paul.

PS Hi to the Ubuntu community. I just switched from having used Mepis/Kanotix/Suse 10. Ubuntu has been a revelation. Such a nice OS. It doesn't fight you like others I have tried.
    Last edited by faithman2k; January 1st, 2006 at 10:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Newbie Problem - Error in package installation - help, I think I broke my system

The problem was the "program" kpsewhich was not present. It seems I found a dependancy issue.

I installed the package that contains kpsewhich (a perl lib of some description) and then I was able to apt-get install correctly.

For all other newbies out there... it helps to carefully read what your package manager is telling you.

Paul.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Newbie Problem - Error in package installation - help, I think I broke my system

Oh thank you! I couldn't figure out what was wrong (the command line is gibberish to me) and I was afraid I'd have to do a recovery.

[edit]

CRAP!

I get an error when trying to reconnect. It says "run dpkg --configure -a" and when I do, it seems ok. Runs without errors, etc. Then, when I try to remove lilypond-data, it says that dpkg is already being used.

CRAP!

[2nd edit]

YAY! (again)

I got it to work by reinstalling lilypond-data, and then removing it.

YAY!(again)
    Last edited by dragonfyre13; January 7th, 2006 at 05:56 AM.
    If the box says "Needs Windows 2000 or better" why won't it work on Linux?

There are 10 types of people...those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Good to see posting the info helped someone out.

My system wouldn't let me re-install lilypond-data. It was stuck so I had to install the package that contained kpsewhich so that it could be reinstalled then removed.

Paul.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by faithman2k
    Good to see posting the info helped someone out.

My system wouldn't let me re-install lilypond-data. It was stuck so I had to install the package that contained kpsewhich so that it could be reinstalled then removed.

Paul.

I shoudl probably clarify. I installed kpeswitch, then closed synaptic, then reinstalled lilypond-data.

The way that I got syanptic to open without crapping out on me was by running the command it tells you to.
    If the box says "Needs Windows 2000 or better" why won't it work on Linux?

There are 10 types of people...those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Does anyone know the name of the package that contains kpeswitch?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I found it, it is tetex-bin.

I follwed the instructions in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=lilypond
    and sorted it ok.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Beans

Does anyone know the name of the package that contains kpeswitch?
    I use synaptic, but also from the command line you could
    Code:
    sudo apt-cache search kpeswitch
    or to find other packages, if you dont find it at first add a backports repository to your system and update and search again.