Thread: Howto: Build your own Ubuntu t-shirt (or whatever!)

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Howto: Build your own Ubuntu t-shirt (or whatever!)

Hello all,

A few days ago I posted a question in the community forum about designs for an Ubuntu t-shirt. I promised that I'd post a brief report on how I made a few t-shirts as well as the vector graphics of the design itself. Here 'tis!

What I used:
    1. The design I made in Inkscape attached here as a vector graphic. I ended up exporting these to png's so I could print them more easily (I was away from home and the printer was attached to another computer).
    2. HP Iron-On Transfers Designed for Colored Fabrics These were the inkjet type, but I think they make lazer jet ones too. This is really important since the old HP transfers look pretty crummy on anything but white. You actually print these transfers "right side out"--i.e. you don't have to reverse the image.
    3. Colored shirts. I bought mine at Target for those of you in the US. They were on sale and are quite nice. The orange is a dead-ringer for Ubuntu shirts.

How I did it:
    1. Print out the design and cut it out carefully.
    2. Follow the directions included in the transfers to apply. Note that you should plan on making a couple of uglier shirts at first. The whole process is a matter of ironing for long enough, but not too long. If you don't iron long enough, the decal doesn't stick and it peels off when you check it. If you do it too long, the color of the shirt will begin to show through the image. Careful!
    3. Washing and drying following the HP directions actually makes these look even better: the colors tend to even out a bit. Make sure to turn the shirt inside out for both washing and drying.

Ta Da!

For those who'd rather not mess with this and would like a shirt, I bought a few extra shirts from Target when I got mine. When I get a chance in the next week or so, I'll post the sizes, colors, etc. of what I have as well as what I'd charge to make em'.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Howto: Build your own Ubuntu t-shirt (or whatever!)

That looks very nicely done.
    My projects and ramblings: http://stuporglue.org
    http://www.mormon.org/bookofmormon -- Free Book of Mormon

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

That's amazing! I'll have to do that someday.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Thats very nice. Cool...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm definitely making one. Yours looks nice