Thread: Rendering Videos In Cinelerra For Windows Machines

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Rendering Videos In Cinelerra For Windows Machines

I've created a video in Cinelerra and want to render it to a format that can be played on any Windows based computer. I've tried .AVI which rendered but will not play on a Windows computer. What format should I render to? Also, Does the base install of Cinelerra come with all the codecs I need to do this?

Thanks!!
    New To Linux? So am I.
    http://linux4noobs.blogspot.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Rendering Videos In Cinelerra For Windows Machines

.wav should be the default windows file but it should be able to read other types including .avi

The selection of codecs included with a vanilla install of Windows is very limited, for both licensing and political reasons. If you can't persuade the user to install a codec, and you can't rely on any of the common codecs (Xvid/DivX, MPEG-4 AVC etc.) being installed, the only usable options are:

* Windows Media [WMV video+WMA audio in ASF container, .wmv]
    * MPEG-1 [MPEG-1 video+MP3 audio in MPEG Program Stream container, .mpeg]

I'm not sure what codecs Cinelerra gives you. Possibly MPEG-1, though that's an old and somewhat inefficient format which is limited in its resolution. WMV, probably not. You could export video in the least-lossy format available (MJPEG? DV?) then use ffmpeg to convert to WMV (“-vcodec wmv2 -acodec wmav2”, or use a front-end such as winff).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by bobince View Post
    The selection of codecs included with a vanilla install of Windows is very limited, for both licensing and political reasons. If you can't persuade the user to install a codec, and you can't rely on any of the common codecs (Xvid/DivX, MPEG-4 AVC etc.) being installed, the only usable options are:

* Windows Media [WMV video+WMA audio in ASF container, .wmv]
    * MPEG-1 [MPEG-1 video+MP3 audio in MPEG Program Stream container, .mpeg]

I'm not sure what codecs Cinelerra gives you. Possibly MPEG-1, though that's an old and somewhat inefficient format which is limited in its resolution. WMV, probably not. You could export video in the least-lossy format available (MJPEG? DV?) then use ffmpeg to convert to WMV (“-vcodec wmv2 -acodec wmav2”, or use a front-end such as winff).
    I have attached two images of the export options that I am given when rendering. I'm a video noob so I'm not sure which one is best but I want to share this video with a Windows user. I do have Winff installed along with Kino and Kdenlive.

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    New To Linux? So am I.

Yeah, the only plausible formats I can see in there are:

* MPEG (would have to be MPEG-1; relatively poor compression; limited resolution)
    * AVI (would have to be DV-in-AVI, assuming that's offered; full resolution only, minimal compression)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Actually, I used .MP4 which worked great! 9 out of 10 Windows machines have iTunes on them and, if so, they can play .MP4 file formats. I'll use .MP4 for now.

However, I would like to know if there are additional codecs that I can download for Cinelerra and, if so, where do I find them?

Thanks!
    New To Linux? So am I.

Beans

VLC for windows will play all Linux formats I find rendering video4linux is the best format for rendering in Cinelerra for normal use.
    winff is a very good straight linux converter that I use to convert dodgy formats before editing with Cinelerra.
    Last edited by kelvin spratt; May 29th, 2009 at 08:29 PM.
    The Dyslexic Moron. user 448495 running Arch Linux 64bt
    AMD 6000x2 64bit, Asus motherboard, 8Gb Ram,Nvidia 8500 1gb unboard ram graphics card, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, Sata 250 gb+Sata 500gb + 2 x 500 usb Hardrives,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The problem I have with VLC is that not all my Windows-using-noob family members know anything about VLC and struggle even with Windows medial players. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Whatever I render must work with the native Windows install or, at least, iTunes.
    New To Linux? So am I.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by umechanism View Post
    Actually, I used .MP4 which worked great! 9 out of 10 Windows machines have iTunes on them and, if so, they can play .MP4 file formats. I'll use .MP4 for now.
    Which of the options produced a usable MP4 for you?