View Poll Results: Do we need a mono-controversy FAQ?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

0 0%
  • Yes

0 0%
Page 51 of 88 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Old mono rants

Beans

Re: In Favor of Mono by Jo Shields

Quote Originally Posted by bakedbeans4life View Post
    If this has passed me by then I apologise.

Can Microsoft sue Mono under any circumstances?
    Microsoft can sue anyone it likes any time for any reason. The question is whether it can win and what the fallout would be. And that's more or less the substance of the debate, as I understand it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zekopeko View Post
    let's see... oh i know what you are trying to do! you are expecting a simple answer so that you can point to it and say "Look, I told you so". I will answer it if you will answer mine with a simple yes or no: "Do you still beat your wife?"
    Personal insults now, of a sort.

A concise and succinct answer to the question posed would have sufficed.

Is it not forthcoming?

Beans

But having eloquent and informed people sure helps ones arguments, does it not?
    Only weakly and circumstantially. But since there is no proof (only blatantly biased "observations") that the "anti-mono" crowd has significantly more idiots than the "pro-mono" crowd, why does it matter?

Or do you prefer ignorant , ill-informed debates?
    That should be obvious, considering my whole initial point was to criticize the amount of unfounded ad hominem assertions in Jo's article.

Do you think that ad-hominem remarks constitute intelligent, informed debate?

The essence of FLOSS is meritocracy with a dash of democracy. Ideas should be valued by merit not by angry peasants with pitchforks and torches.
    I concur, but that cuts both ways in this case. Simply declaring your opponent an angry mob of non-contributors doesn't make the valid bits of their argument go away.

Having F-spot and Tomboy in Ubuntu by default is a perfect example of meritocracy in action.
    I have not used either (not because they are mono, but because I'm using Kubuntu and never took notice of those apps), so I couldn't say. Like I said, I'm not worried about using mono apps, I'm just not sure that I would choose to work with it because of the controversy. I am not arguing that mono is either good or bad, just that this particular essay brought very little intelligence to the debate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Jo Shields, a member of the Debian Mono Group, Debian CLI Applications Team, and Debian CLI Libraries Team and also a Ubuntu MOTU, has written an article in favor of Mono.
    It was a valiant attempt Sef, but even this thread is rapidly going downhill.
    Even though i understand the reservations of the anti-mono crowd, my hypothetical: mono snowballs in development popularity and nearly the entire desktop is mono based, Microsoft then swoops in with litigation to cripple the desktop. A vala porting sprint ensues.

I still have faith in the development community not to take steps that could ultimately lead to crippling the userland environment. as for Vala, I hope it matures rapidly and proves itself a viable FOSS development platform.

With the python vs topic, Python seems to be an amazing development platform but i have C++ programs in wine(utorrent) that run circles around their python counterparts(deluge) interms of memory usage. I'm not a dev and i know that there are hundreds if not thousands of reasons that python is THE choice, but it is not the fastest available.

In the meanwhile, I love docky, and look forward to the c++ implementation of compiz.

Beans

If this has passed me by then I apologise.

Can Microsoft sue Mono under any circumstances?

The answer should be a simple yes or no.

I have yet to hear an official answer from Microsoft or the Mono developers on this issue.

No hyperbole, yes or no?
    zekopeko (and those of his or her ilk) seem to take exception to this question, is it that outlandish?

YES OR NO?
    Last edited by bakedbeans4life; June 15th, 2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Gender

Beans

zekopeko (and those of his or her ilk) seem to take exception to this question, is it that outlandish?

YES OR NO?
    Like with any other piece of software MS can sue about it. So the question of weather MS can sue about it or not doesn't really make much sense.

I think the issue at hand is if the likelyhood of MS suing about Mono and succeeding is bigger than with other free software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: All ideas are viruses

what about smoking frogs. yeah. in a pipe.
    dried frog guts..

or making ink from beetle shells.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Closed_Port View Post
    I think the issue at hand is if the likelyhood of MS suing about Mono and succeeding is bigger than with other free software.
    not true. i don't know of any patents that have been identified as being implemented in mono.
    what i do know is that MS has patent for XPCOM. Two of the prominent users in FLOSS are Firefox (and derivatives) and OO.org.
    So far more likelier scenario is FF and OO.org crashing and burning then mono.
    Last edited by zekopeko; June 15th, 2009 at 11:41 PM.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Certainly it's outlandish since i don't want to post something that can be used as cheap FUD ammo. Read Jo Shields post. The answer is provided.

And you took exception to my question: "Do you still beat your wife/husband?". YES OR NO?
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

let's see... oh i know what you are trying to do! you are expecting a simple answer so that you can point to it and say "Look, I told you so". I will answer it if you will answer mine with a simple yes or no: "Do you still beat your wife?"
    C'mon, dude, that's pretty low. Take the higher ground. Me, I'm gleefully hoping that people have a read of http://opensourcetogo.blogspot.com/2...wdry-tale.html rather than my own post. And not just because I've more than exceeded my monthly webhost bandwidth limit.
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Page 51 of 88 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast