Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are burnt beans?

Beans

What are burnt beans?

is this what happens when a user gets banned?

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...2&postcount=23 (example)
    Edward A Robinson -- www.earobinson.org

Beans

Re: What are burnt beans?

Yes
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

temp ban or perm ban?

maybe we could do other things other than ban users like subtract posts, or ban them froum sub forums, only using a ban as a last resort.

however I am in support of some mod action, just feel that baning is extream, just putting it out there.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by earobinson
    just putting it out there.

Me too:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=110465

Beans

Thats fine you are welcome to your opinion the situation was extreme and the small handfull of people that have been banned from this forum in the past 1.5 years have all been extreme cases.

We don't need to debate the politics here, just incase anyone felt the need to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm a mod/admin on other boards. When you have a huge number of members and a huge number of posts, banning is the easiest way to deal with a problem member. Redacting posts, etc. is time consuming and isn't as direct a way to deal with the situation.

Give a clear cut set of rules up front. If someone cant abide by them, ban 'em, you're done.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Puptentacle
    I'm a mod/admin on other boards. When you have a huge number of members and a huge number of posts, banning is the easiest way to deal with a problem member. Redacting posts, etc. is time consuming and isn't as direct a way to deal with the situation.
    It is never that clear-cut. Basil Fawlty said that he could run his hotel *properly* if it weren't for all the guests!

Also, the problem is that the code of conduct says that you should be respectful.

The users are what make the forums great and they should be respected. Sometimes that is a little bit more work than just banning people who annoy you. In this case, that is why "the jail" is readable, there is a "resolution center" and moderators deleting posts is frowned-upon.

Anyway, I made my view clear in the above mentioned link.

...Here I go "trolling" again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Just my 2c.. I also attended another forum bigger than this one (maybe it has decreased, nowadays)

I believe that just subtracting post count is not going to work. Someone who spams for fun, or to offend/hurt people will NOT be affected. Banning is the answer, but, the person must have room in which to make his apologies, or excuses. Eg: My sister was using my account on the forum I mentioned above and being the typical silly idiot she is, she began typing nonsense, getting me kicked out in seconds. Luckily, I was able to get in again..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan
    Just my 2c.. I also attended another forum bigger than this one (maybe it has decreased, nowadays)

I believe that just subtracting post count is not going to work. Someone who spams for fun, or to offend/hurt people will NOT be affected. Banning is the answer, but, the person must have room in which to make his apologies, or excuses. Eg: My sister was using my account on the forum I mentioned above and being the typical silly idiot she is, she began typing nonsense, getting me kicked out in seconds. Luckily, I was able to get in again..
    Well in that case you should ban,

I just think it would be intresting to have a more gradual set of tools that mods could use to control the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-geek
    Thats fine you are welcome to your opinion the situation was extreme and the small handfull of people that have been banned from this forum in the past 1.5 years have all been extreme cases.

We don't need to debate the politics here, just incase anyone felt the need to.
    I have always said I support the mods, I also feel that there is nothing wrong with talking about forum rules, just like there is nothing wrong talking about laws, as long as we can do it without causing a flamewar.

I feel that the original post by aysiu was a really good one. I only wish the topic could have stayed civil. I think that more mod tools in order to keep people respectfull is better. Somtimes a gentle nudge is better than an all out ban. Maybe with more tools it would be easyer to keep some users under control without baning.

Or maybe to list the amout of complaints a user has had aginst them so that we can all see that a user is beyond saving. Just Ideas thats all it is.

I will say that this thread is in now way to insult any mod action, just to talk about the rules and ways they can be enforced.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by earobinson
    Well in that case you should ban,

I just think it would be intresting to have a more gradual set of tools that mods could use to control the thread.

I have always said I support the mods, I also feel that there is nothing wrong with talking about forum rules, just like there is nothing wrong talking about laws, as long as we can do it without causing a flamewar.

I feel that the original post by aysiu was a really good one. I only wish the topic could have stayed civil. I think that more mod tools in order to keep people respectfull is better. Somtimes a gentle nudge is better than an all out ban. Maybe with more tools it would be easyer to keep some users under control without baning.

Or maybe to list the amout of complaints a user has had aginst them so that we can all see that a user is beyond saving. Just Ideas thats all it is.

I will say that this thread is in now way to insult any mod action, just to talk about the rules and ways they can be enforced.
    True the OP was a good post, I think KiwiNZ's choice to lock the thread was the correct one he follow forum policy and so did aysiu by using the RC.

Regarding the ban of users, users are givin 3-4 PM based warnings asking them to please tone down or attemping to correct them. If the user does not wish to follow forum policy after this a temporary ban is issued, following the temporary ban if the user still does not wish to follow policy the users is perm banned.

There is a set of policy that are followed a users is just not banned over without warning, however there may be a rare case. For example if a user posts a very verbal and offensive post towards staff/forum users we will not hesitate to remove the account.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast