Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install NVIDIA display driver version 1.0-6629

Beans

HOWTO: Install the new Nvidia display driver v6629 for 6600/GT

The version of Nvidia's display driver in the Ubuntu repositores is 1.0-6111 which does not support some of the new video cards, like the ones based on 6600/GT GPUs. There is a newer version 1.0-6629 which supports all the new video cards, as well as providing performance improvements of up to 10% for existing GPUs, especially the 6800 series.

The new driver is available on nvidia's web site, but it comes with a proprietary built in installer, so the installation is not tracked by debian's package management system apt/dpkg. Also, if you already installed the 6111 driver from Ubuntu's repository using apt, then the nvidia installer will overwrite some of the driver and configuration files, which could mess up the 6111 driver and make it hard to restore it.

This howto explains how to get and install the new driver's debian packages, which are available from the debian unstable repository. The driver includes three parts -
    (a) The X-Windows binary driver and libraries, which is contained in nvidia-glx package.
    (b) The nvidia kernel module, contained in the nvidia-kernel-v.v.v.v package (which we need to create).
    (c) Configuration files, contained in the nvidia-kernel-common package.

Note that (a) depends on (b) which depends on (c), so we install them in reverse order (c,b,a). The most difficult part is the nvidia kernel module (b), which must be compiled for your specific kernel version, so we will need to get the nvidia-kernel sources as well as linux kernel sources (although it's not required to compile a new kernel, it is in fact much safer and simpler, since we don't have to touch the existing kernel). We'll use the sources to create the nvidia-kernel package (which contains the nvidia kernel module) together with a matching kernel-image package (which contains the new kernel and the standard modules).

This has worked for me on a computer with a 6600GT PCI-E, and another computer with a 6800GT AGP card. Both had the standard Woody release with XFree86. In the latter case, I already had the older nvidia driver 6111 installed before installing the new version 6629, and I noticed a significant performance increase with the new driver (by running a doom 3 timedemo). So here goes the comlete list of steps:

1. Download and install the 2.6.8.1 kernel source package and a few other packages required for compilation (or use synaptic if you prefer):

$ sudo apt-get install linux-source-2.6.8.1 build-essential fakeroot kernel-package libglade2-dev dpatch debhelper

2. Download and install the 6629 nvidia-kernel-common and nvidia-kernel-source packages from debian unstable (click on the links to download, and use the following commands to install):

$ sudo dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-common_1.0.6629+1_all.deb
    $ sudo dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-source_1.0.6629+1-1_i386.deb

3. Check that you are added to the src group, by typing "groups". If you are not, do the folowing (you will need to logout and login again for this to take effect):

$ sudo addgroup `whoami` src

4. Unpack the sources (make sure to move/rename any previous directories which conflict, like /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel and /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.8.1)

$ cd /usr/src
    $ tar jxvf linux-source-2.6.8.1.tar.bz2
    $ tar zxvf nvidia-kernel-source.tar.gz
    $ ln -s linux-source-2.6.8.1 linux

5. If you want to use your current kernel's configuration (which you probably do) you can copy it from /boot like this (if your current kernel version is older, it will tell you about any new kernel configuration options. You can choose the defaults by pressing enter):

$ cd /usr/src/linux
    $ cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config
    $ make oldconfig

6. Configure the kernel to not include the Nvidia Riva framebuffer driver (FB_RIVA under Device Drivers->Graphics Support->Support for frame buffer devices), because it might conflict with the new nvidia driver. You can also change any other kernel option you like, then save the kernel configuration and exit. Note that this step is recommended by Nvidia in their README file which accompanies their kernel module source package, but in most cases the module will work even without performing this step:

$ cd /usr/src/linux
    $ make gconfig

7. Compile the kernel and nvidia module (note you can replace "custom1" with any string to append to the version. This guarantees that your new kernel version is unique, so there are no conflicts with existing kernels):

$ cd /usr/src/linux
    $ make-kpkg clean
    $ fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version custom1 kernel_image modules_image

8. Install the new kernel-image and nvidia-kernel packages

$ cd /usr/src
    $ sudo dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.8.1custom1*.deb
    $ sudo dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-2.6.8.1custom1*.deb

9. Download the 6629 nvidia-glx package from debian unstable (the binary driver and libs for X windows) by clicking the link. (Note that if you are currently running an older nvidia driver, then it's safer to exit from X windows before installing this package, because the installation it will replace some files used by the old driver. To exit X windows, you can press ctrl-alt-F1 to get a console, login and then kill gdm using the command "sudo killall gdm"). Now install the package:

$ sudo dpkg -i nvidia-glx_1.0.6629+1-1_i386.deb

10. Save a backup of the X server configuration file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Now change the file t use the nvidia driver, by changing the argument string of the "Driver" line in the Section "Device" to "nvidia". Also, in the Section "Module", comment out "GLCore" and "dri" lines, and make sure there is a "glx" line there.

11. To make sure the nvidia module is loaded at boot time, add a line "nvidia" to the end of the file /etc/modules. You can do it like this (or just edit the files /etc/modules with your favorite editor):

$ sudo sh -c "echo nvidia >> /etc/modules"

12. Reboot into your new kernel.

If something goes wrong, for example if X doesn't start, then login with text console and check if the nvidia kernel module was loaded:

$ lsmod | grep nvidia

If it's not listed, it may be that modules dependencies were not updated (usually installing the nvidia-kernel package takes care of that automatically, but sometimes it doesn't...). So do it manually, and start X (next time it should boot without problem):

$ sudo depmod
    $ sudo modprobe nvidia
    $ startx

Also, if this doesn't work you can easily go back to your previous configuration by restoring your old XF86Config-4 file which you saved in step 10. If you were previously using the an older nvidia driver (e.g. 6111), and you want to go back to it, you also need to uninstall the nvidia-glx-1.0.6629 package, and re-install nvidia-gix-1.0.6111 package from Ubuntu's repositorues. Then boot your old kernel (the one your were using previously).
    Last edited by Tichondrius; February 11th, 2005 at 10:21 PM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install the new Nvidia display driver v6629 for 6600/GT

No offense, but i find it much MUCH easier to
    1. apt-get install kernel-headers-`uname -r`
    2. download the nvidia driver from their site
    3. sh nvidia-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-6629.run
    4. edit XF86Config file
    5. poof done....

but your steps are pretty good, very well done How-to!!!
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." - Philippians 1:21 (NIV)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install NVIDIA display driver version 1.0-6629

Yes, I mentioned you could do that, but doing it as I explained - building a nvidia-kernel package - has many advantages, like not having to copy or re-install the module when you build a new kernel, and being able to manage the driver using apt/dpkg package tracking system. This is the recommended way of compiling third party modules - put their source under /usr/src/modules, and build them using "modules_image" target of the kernel source makefile. That's the way I used to install the previous nvidia display driver, and it has been much more reliable, versatile and ultimately convenient then using proprietary install scripts. You see, I like to understand what's going on, which usually helps when things go wrong.

Beans

The links to packages.debian.org have timed out for me. Any suggestions?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xyverz
    The links to packages.debian.org have timed out for me. Any suggestions?
    Fixed the links in the instructions. Please try again.
    Last edited by Tichondrius; January 29th, 2005 at 08:27 PM.

Beans

Thanks for posting these instructions! Apart from helping with the nvidia issue, this is very helpful for those of us who are not very familiar with the Debian way of doing things.

Best, Ben

Beans

Hi all,
    how can i actualy exit X windows?

lilpac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by lilpac
    Hi all,
    how can i actualy exit X windows?

lilpac
    So you can install the driver/deb package, you mean? Just do this-

Ctrl+Alt+F1 (to get into console mode)

login

sudo killall gdm (to shutdown gnome completely)

You are now ready to continue on your merry way.
    AMD Athlon64 X2 5600 on Abit KN9 Ultra nForce 570
    2GB Corsair TwinX DDR2-800
    Gigabyte ATI HD4850 1GB on ASUS PW201 20" WS LCD
    Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit / Wintendo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bchapman
    Thanks for posting these instructions! Apart from helping with the nvidia issue, this is very helpful for those of us who are not very familiar with the Debian way of doing things.

Best, Ben
    Actually, the Debian way to install the Nvidia display drivers is also the way Ubuntu set up the packages in their universe repositories. The only difference with Ubuntu's repository, is that the Nvidia kernel module is already available pre-compiled in the linux-restricted-modules package, so you don't have to compile it yourself (if you are running a stock kernel). Also, Ubuntu added a convenience script (nvidia-glx-config) in the nvidia-glx package to perform the change in the X config file, so you don't have to edit it manually. But the problem is that these packages only have the older 6111 driver for the warty release, so if you want to install the new nvidia driver for warty (using the debian way) you have to follow the instructions above.

Note that the repositories for the hoary beta release do include the new driver packages, but it's not advisable to use them with warty.
    Last edited by Tichondrius; February 1st, 2005 at 05:43 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym
    So you can install the driver/deb package, you mean? Just do this-

Ctrl+Alt+F1 (to get into console mode)

login

sudo killall gdm (to shutdown gnome completely)

You are now ready to continue on your merry way.
    thankyou very much :d il go and try it right now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast