Thread: ps3Netflix, cbs, hulu, foodtv, hgtv in 8 easy steps

Beans

ps3Netflix, cbs, hulu, foodtv, hgtv in 8 easy steps

Here we go this is my first how to and I plan on posting it up also on the ubuntu forums. For those of you like me who are nextgen game enthusiast this is a how to on getting hulu, cbs, and several other streaming media options including netflix to play on your xbox360 *NO GOLD SUBSCRIPTION* or Playstation 3 or any other upnp capable device on your network.

We are going to start for the sake of this tutorial assuming you have a windows xp install disk or iso and a fresh copy of linux mint.

1. Download the new virtualbox program from this link http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
    Beauty of this is that its by far the easist vm enviroment iv used and its free!

2. Install the program and launch. click the star shaped button that says new, in the next window under name put whatever you want I use playon!, set os type to windows, version to xp, click next

3. base memory can be set to anything above 512, that is minimum for playon, i like around 700 megs to 1 gig if you can spare it. click next.

4. new hard drive, leave as defaults and click next, the wizard will come up, under storage type use default of dynamic expanding and click next, location is the name you gave the drive in step 2.
    gr
    *the size has to be large enough to handle the os, anything else you want on there and 6 gigs of free space for playon! I use around 10 gig with a standard install windows xp.

5.click finish, then click finish again, congrats! you now have created the basic parts for installing playon! *cheer!*

6.now click settings button (it looks like a cog or gear), click to select cd/ dvd, select the mount cd/dvd box.
    *if installing from a cd then simply move to the next step, if for an iso, then click the iso selection below cd/dvd

7. now click networks, select the attached to box and pick the bridged adapter option, below in the name box select your internet source, finally click ok.

8. click the start button and a new window will open up, simply follow instructions and install your copy of windows. Once that is done then go ahead and install playon! plus plugins normally and you should see it on your ps3 instantly!

Thanks go out to the forums, and almighty google, and sun for making such a stellar peice of vm software and making it free and most importantly to the linux community!!!! Please post for help! this is also going on the ubuntu forums and will be cross linked!.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ps3Netflix, cbs, hulu, foodtv, hgtv in 8 easy steps

Awesome! I've been looking for something like this. I'll try this out as soon as I can. Just out of curiosity, what version of Virtualbox are you using? Thanks for the post!

Todd
    Last edited by toddr; May 30th, 2009 at 02:08 AM.

Beans

Re: ps3 Netflix, cbs, hulu, foodtv, hgtv in 8 easy steps

q:what version of virtualbox are you using?

a:I was using version 2.2.0 but have since upgraded to 2.2.4 and have had zero trouble.

And thanks for the positive feedback!