View Poll Results: If the CNR service was made available for Ubuntu users, do you think you'd consider u

Voters
311. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way! Linspire is evil and I want nothing to do with them! =)

32 10.29%
  • No, I wouldn't use it, apt is all I need.

89 28.62%
  • I wouldn't, but I'd consider for my noobie friends to get on Ubuntu.

61 19.61%
  • Yes, I'd consider using it for the added features and convience.

83 26.69%
  • I'd love it. Please consider offering CNR for Ubuntu!

46 14.79%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin's CNR Poll

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Kevin's CNR Poll

***** I HOPE YOU WILL PLEASE READ MY POST HERE ABOUT THIS BEFORE VOTING *****

Ha!

When I made my post on CNR, it gave me an error because the answers to one of my poll questions was too long. I couldn't see any way to go back and add the poll. =(

Also, I noticed someone else just posted a CNR poll! hehe

So, anwer the poll here, but make your comments here, as I think that is where the discussion will take place.

I really want to see the poll I was going to ask, so I've posted it again here. Sorry for the mix up!

Kevin

***** I HOPE YOU WILL PLEASE READ MY POST HERE ABOUT THIS BEFORE VOTING *****
    Last edited by Kevin Carmony; March 3rd, 2006 at 01:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Kevin's CNR Poll

as in mstlevil's poll, legal codecs, legal codecs, legal codecs.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

So, my vote would be the same as on the other thread. I think it's a good idea for those countries where it's illegal to dl the codecs, but most likely I'm not going to use it.

P.S. Aren't "those countries" actually only the US?

EDIT: P.P.S. As far as I can calculate it's early morning in the US, so the people that might be concerned the most are not here ATM
    Last edited by Alpha_toxic; March 2nd, 2006 at 04:23 PM.
    Registered Linux User #405106

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus
    as in mstlevil's poll, legal codecs, legal codecs, legal codecs.
    As in pay fluendo, pay fluendo, pay fluendo

Beans

choice is good, but this is more or less useless: automatix + EasyUbuntu + Repositories

have cnr as a not-promoted feature -> good
    have cnr and promote -> bad

And, as a paranoid type, if this is implemented, I would start looking for another distro:
    once the distro features partly-pay-per-service, there is always the possibility that everything will get pay-per-service. I don't like that possibility.

PS. the only country obsessed with legality of proprietary codecs is US. no one else cares.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

As it stands right now, i use my codecs illegally. I break the law. I'm not too cool with that. I like keeping my ethics in line. But unless i have them, my linux experience is crippled. The entire reason i moved to linux was b/c of ethics. I would love the chance to legally download codecs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDuality
    As it stands right now, i use my codecs illegally. I break the law. I'm not too cool with that. I like keeping my ethics in line. But unless i have them, my linux experience is crippled. The entire reason i moved to linux was b/c of ethics. I would love the chance to legally download codecs.
    the problem: you're in US codecs are not illegal abroad. I didnot install the codecs as I'm currently in the US. I'll install them when my plane boards to the airport abroad and uninstall if I come back...

I think a distro located and developed abroad will not have any problems with distributing codecs.

A good way to legally get codecs is to buy a distro that offers them out-of-the-box. opensuse has that option (to buy opensuse loaded with proprietary software pre-installed), and it also supports OSS tru distributing OSS-only distro as well.

Beans
    Hidden!

No thanks!! i would rather read a linux book, and learn the comands needed to install the programs..
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans
    Hidden!

A fairly emphatic option 1.

Seriously, Linspire make Microsoft look like angelic little choir boys.....

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I would just use CNR to get legal proprietary codecs. Is there a way to get these without paying for the entire year of CNR? Maybe just a "multimedia pack" for ubuntu? Enable DVD Playback, MP3, Windows Media, Divx, Quicktime, Real codecs, and anything else I've forgotten? Or something?

I'd just use it for proprietary codecs. gnome-app-install is the Ubuntu equivalent of a one-click apt installation service, though its fairly fledgling at the moment.

But what about pay-for Ubuntu debs that enable totem (or whatever movie player is on the system) to use proprietary codecs legally? I'd pay for that.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast