Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Make WINE Apps Look Better

Beans

Make WINE Apps Look Better

How to Make WINE Apps Look Better
    By Dan "quandar" Rise

Introduction:
    Well, we all know if you leave WINE at its general configuration it is quite ugly, and if you use the .msstyle option in winecfg it makes everything slow, and its buggy at best. This guide is not set out to perfectly replicate your GTK theme, but hopefully make it blend.
    First this guide will assume you have a fully functioning WINE setup. If you have that then lets get on with it, pick these apps (that we will use WINE to run) up.

Apps You Will Need:

Install Your Apps:
    This step is fairly simple enough, unzip both of those ZIPs to folders and run the Setup.exe on both of them. Basicaly press agree, next, next, you know, Windows style *wink*.

DisplaySet / Fonts:
    Open Nautilus, and press CTRL+L and type ~/.wine and go from your root windows folder (on mine it is "drive_c") and Program Files > DisplaySet, and open DisplaySet.exe. And switch all your font settings to your fonts in you System > Preferences > Font menu.

3DCC / Colours:
    Navigate to ~/.wine//home/quandar/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/JaSMiN Co/3D Color Changer 4 and open Js3Dcc.exe with WINE. Okay, as a base for making a similar theme download a 3DCC pack from this site. Basically after this point install it in 3DCC and modify your colours accordingly using the RGB section under the example window for a perfect match. Keep in mind don't use the capture eyedropper feature, it generally is buggy going again anything outside the WINE window.

Beans

Re: Make WINE Apps Look Better

I finally got around to trying this out and it does make things look much nicer. Great work and thanks for posting!

Beans

I have IE6 from ies4linux and it looks like it looked before. other apps are ok

Beans

Attached is a 3DC file that matches the Dapper default "Human" theme.

Enjoy

Also, a screenshot of utorrent running under wine with this theme
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	utorrent.jpg 
Views:	2264 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	13718  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hey thanks alot now my wine apps look so much better...

Beans

yeah, although it makes wine apps a lot better looking, it drags down speed tremendously for some reason

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What a great tip! My wine apps no longer have "scratchy" looking fonts. I just changed them to Tahoma and Tohoma bold and they look great. It worked for me in an appointment book program I use called ChronlistNT and also for Quicken Premier 2005.

Thank you.
    Using Ubuntu since Warty Warthog (4.10)
    32 bit 5.04>5.10>6.06>6.10>7.04>7.10>8.04>8.10>9.04>9.10
    64 bit 9.10 upgraded to 10.04>10.10>11.04>11.10>12.04>14.04

Beans

Sweet Jesus thank you. Running Firefox under wine for Flash9 was killing me with the default theme.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

wine '/john/.wine/drive_c/myob15/Myob.exe'

Love wine, can't get anything to run from a ' click the image and it goes / runs ' link. Know it should. But have tried all I can think of. Somethings wrong with above command clearly.. Any ideas???

John

Beans

This was really helpful, thanks a lot. It's not perfect but most controls blend a lot better.
    Previously known as 23meg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast