Thread: New MEPIS Linux Test Version Uses Ubuntu Base

Post New MEPIS Linux Test Version Uses Ubuntu Base

<p>Great news for lovers of Ubuntu and MEPIS:</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>MEPIS founder Warren Woodford has announced a test release of SimplyMEPIS 6.0, incorporating software from the Ubuntu Dapper package pools. This is the first version of SimplyMEPIS with an Ubuntu base.</p>
    <p>Ubuntu has a 6 month stable release cycle that will enable MEPIS to offer its customers a dependable release schedule. Woodford states “The switch to the Ubuntu pools was made to provide our users with a more stable underlying system. Of course it’s important for our users that MEPIS remains true to its unique vision. I believe this release demonstrates that we can combine the magic of the MEPIS user experience with the goodness of the Ubuntu foundation.”</p></blockquote>
    <a href="http://fridge.ubuntu.com/weblink/goto/76" class="outgoing" title="visit http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2006-03-21-013-26-NW-DB-SW">visit New MEPIS Linux Test Version Uses Ubuntu Base</a>

Link To Original Article

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Re: New MEPIS Linux Test Version Uses Ubuntu Base

I'm glad that one of my other favorite distros is partnering with ubuntu

I can't wait to see whta comes out of this

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've been a MEPIS fan and then Ubuntu for the better base. I was given flack for promoting MEPIS but then Ubuntu. I stand by my Ubuntu recomendation because of what you wind up with. Obviously this MEPIS use of Ubuntu is great.

My question is, will Ubuntu utilize some of the scripting (and other benefits) that makes MEPIS great in return?

I've have made and continue to make a call for developers to selflessly code for the newbie and not just geeks. Ubuntu and MEPIS are at the fore front and even us geeks GREATLY benefit form time saved in installation and maintainence on these distributions.

Leave no benefit behind!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

MEPIS using Ubuntu as its basis is very good news - MEPIS will give you a stable Ubuntu under the hood with all the desktop goodies / multimedia stuff you need for a modern desktop OS.

Lets be honest - Ubuntu makes a very good (fast, solid, reliable, standard compliant) corporate desktop, but without a lot of manual interaction (Yes, I consider downloading and installing Automatix via command line manual interaction) it is not well suited as a Windows replacement (nearly complete lack of the typical multimedia applications). MEPIS changes this - now everything will be on board, on an installable LiveCD.

Extremely good news for both MEPIS and Ubuntu - my congratulations, very smart move, Warren!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Neobuntu

My question is, will Ubuntu utilize some of the scripting (and other benefits) that makes MEPIS great in return?
    AFAIK, it is only recently that Mepis mentioned publishing them under the GPL.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I think it will be a great combination, Mepis using Ubuntu base. The two will compliment each other very very well.
    "What if there were no hypothetical questions?" - George Carlin

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Finally I can have my cake and eat it too, cake anyone??
    | Al3xanRO | Registered User #413462 |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. -Acts 2:21