Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boyfriend is getting a Mac -- Which one!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Boyfriend is getting a Mac -- Which one!

Much to my chagin, my boyfriend is getting a mac. ("Just spend the money on jewelry for me!" I cried!) At least it's not Windows.

I was wondering if you could help us figure out which Mac he should get.

It is going to be sitting on a desk, and he already has a work laptop. He really, really, really, likes having his Windows hooked up to his television and pushing out video onto his television. Both of us also use the wireless network his computer sends out.

Beyond that, all he does on his computer is pretty much surf the internet and store really bad photos that he never edits. A pretty simple existance.

So what do you suggest? I could go into a mac store and me, knowing nothing, would be blown away. And with my father's genes, I would walk out with the best of the best and the next day, I would spin around and go, Holy Intel Processor, Neal, How much did we spend!

Beans

Re: Boyfriend is getting a Mac -- Which one!

There are three types of macs to consider. The full workstation version Mac Pro, the 'all-in-one' iMac, and the tiny Mac mini. The Mac Pro is very cool and powerful but expensive. You probably don't want this. The iMac is a mid-range machine but not very flexible. If you already have a monitor it makes no sense. Or if you ever want to upgrade the monitor, you have to upgrade the whole unit. The least expensive route to take is the Mac mini. It sounds like it's perfect for his needs and he can save enough money to still buy you a nice diamond bracelet!

Hope this helps.

Larry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd go for a Mac Mini.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've been eyeing the 20" iMAC with 500GB of space, 2 GB RAM, and the 256MB video card....the only thing holding me back is that that much credit card debt makes me nervous.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I guess the Mac Mini would be the way to go in your case, as others already said.

- trib'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Mac mini.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'd say Mac Pro.

Beans

I have 10 or 12 Macs (I have lost count) and the only one I really hate is the mac Mini. I bought it to keep people off the other computers if they just want to look at bad photographs ....

For a desktop, it is really hard to beat the iMac. I have the slowest, cheapest, first-generation intel iMac and after I popped in an extra gig of memory it is a great computer. I've done significant amounts of number crunching on it and it is almost as good as my 1.5 year old, then top-of-the-line G5 with IBM processors.

It is also, physically, a very nice computer. The display is of very high quality. It is quite compact, which in my tiny home, is a real asset.

Beans

those mini macs go alright. We have them all over the place at work.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans

Mine's been in the shop twice and it is so slow no one will use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast