Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My wife wants windows back

Beans

Angry My wife wants windows back

Ok my wife is sick of Ubuntu and wants windows back, she hates ubuntu and has been on my back about it for a while now. I'm gonna partition my hard drive half windows and half ubuntu but i wanna know if there is a way i could use my drivers from ubuntu on windows cuz finding dell d600 drivers is a pain in the ***.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: My wife wants windows back

I went thorough a similar "episode" with my wife recently. I built her a new PC and never contaminated it with Windows. I did spend a fair amount of time making it look / feel like the dreaded platform. Included such familiarities as the little trashcan in the lower right corner, the MicroCrash blue screen background and a host of apps that should meet her computing needs. So far, so good. I do understand that each situation is different. Hope you can bring her around to the Linux/Ubuntu side of the discussion.

IndyTim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I never told my wife I'd changed the operating system. I just said "Click here to go on the web".
    Marital harmony proceeded as usual . . .

Beans

Yeah, my wife does the same thing. I try to explain to her the difference between 32bit and 64bit processing, and how XP64 is tehsuck, but she doesn't feel like paying attention.

Then I explain to her the difference between my laptop and her desktop. That seems to sink in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I installed VMplayer on Ubuntu and run XP in a window to make the wife happy. That was 2-3 months ago, now the only thing XP is used for is quicken. The wife is now using Ubuntu 80-90% of the time.

Beans
    Hidden!

my wife's only question was "what do I use for email?"
    Can't help on the drivers though, feel your pain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SilviaBoston
    Ok my wife is sick of Ubuntu and wants windows back, she hates ubuntu and has been on my back about it for a while now. I'm gonna partition my hard drive half windows and half ubuntu but i wanna know if there is a way i could use my drivers from ubuntu on windows cuz finding dell d600 drivers is a pain in the ***.
    Sorry for the grief. Why does she hate Ubuntu? (If you don't mind sharing.) I replaced my wife's W/98 OS with Ubuntu. She was a little annoyed at first, mainly because I didn't ask her permission first (until she realized she was able to do everything she could always do, and there were no more crashes, no more anti-virus scans, no more spyware scans and no more BSODs). Once I showed her how to use Open Office and her web browser all was well. As far as the drivers...I don't think it's possible. You can go the other way using Wine but as far as I know the drivers for Ubuntu are not compatible with Windows...at least I've never heard of it.

Glen

Beans

I too suggest using emulation (qemu with kemu accelerator, howto available in tips&tricks, takes about half an hour to figure it out, 2-3 hours to install windows -on my system-, and endless hours to update it -regardless of emulation software- --> give yourself a day to do all this).

But don't be too stubborn, just try to convince her to try it for a few days (giving the excuse: getting the drivers is too hard; emulation will save you and her time etc). In the meantime, search for the windows driver...

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thumbs down Re: My wife wants windows back

If I had a wife and this problem I would just install a different driver.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My wife's a graphic designer and needs her Adobe Creative Suite. She loves her Mac, and she's too computer savvy for me to replace it with Ubuntu and have her not notice.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast