Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start x11vnc on startup

Beans

Start x11vnc on startup

Hello,

Some of these instructions have changed but I have been finding random things here and there. What I have is a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.10 and I have installed x11vnc. What I want to do is have it startup (as root I believe) when Ubuntu starts.

I think it has as root so it shows the login screen to let you login. I am trying to figure out how to get it to that point, so I can run a server headless.

Thanks

Beans

Re: Start x11vnc on startup

Are you able to get the X server and GDM to start up headless? Sometimes that can be tricky.

x11vnc is also able to serve virtual X sessions (e.g. via inetd) if you install the 'xvfb' package. This avoids needing to get the X server running headless:

vncserver can do a similar thing (and will be somewhat faster.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Karl,
    Thank you for the link you posted in response to ThreeLies question/issue.
    I went to the link to search for an answer to my question about x11vnc startup; but I couldn't find it after scanning the whole FAQ. Here's my situation/question:

I want to be able to startup x11vnc and have it go through the entire process, including auto-input of the, port, password, etc. so that once the machine is completely booted I can allow connection to it from inside my home network.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on 2 machines. One is a AMD64 machine and the other is an old 32 bit pc that I have installed the 32-bit version of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

So far I've set up the AMD64 machine to startup x11vnc but I still have to manually select the connect options on the menu, and then "apply" and click ok. I want this to be automated so I don't need to intervene at every startup.

Also, I can't get the 32bit machine to work even to the above. I've tried the x11vnc -rc command and created a startup file, (x11vncserv2); but it doesn't work like it does on my AMD64 machine. Once the 32 bit machine is booted, I have to manually select the port number and ultravnc options, and then ok and then the next screen for the "accept connections", etc.
    I want this to startup the same way I want the AMD64 machine to start...no intervention on my part.

Is there a stock command line that I can include in the "Startup applications"
    file I created for x11vnc on both machines, that will do this for me?

Sorry for the naive question. I'm not very experienced with linux command line options at this point.

Thank you for your help
    Rick (Shobuz99)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

* You can create a startup script so that X11VNC is automatically loaded at startup (with password settings):

echo "/usr/bin/x11vnc -forever -rfbport 5900 -rfbauth ~/.vnc/x11vnc.pass -o ~/.vnc/x11vnc.log -loopbg -display :0" > ~/.kde/Autostart/x11vnc.sh

chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/x11vnc.sh

These instructions use the Autostart folder for KDE/Kubuntu (~/.kde/Autostart). In Gnome/Ubuntu use the Autostart folder ~/.config/autostart instead.

Here are the full instructions copied from Kubuntuguide.org at:
    http://kubuntuguide.org/Maverick#X11VNC_Server

(or Ubuntuguide.org at:
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:M...#X11VNC_Server )

* Install the X11VNC server to share your desktop with other computers:

sudo apt-get install x11vnc

* Run X11VNC without a password:

x11vnc -forever -rfbport 5900

Note: -rfbport 5900 specifies the port to listen on. The port number can be changed. This option is not required if the default port 5900 will be used. Don't forget to open/forward this port in your firewall/router. By default X11VNC server exits after the first client disconnects. To keep it running (and allow future connections), use the -forever option. See
    http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/x11vnc_opts.html
    for more command line options.

* You can create a password:

mkdir ~/.vnc
    x11vnc -storepasswd YOUR_PASSWORD ~/.vnc/x11vnc.pass

* Run X11VNC, requiring a password:

x11vnc -forever -rfbport 5900 -rfbauth ~/.vnc/x11vnc.pass -o ~/.vnc/x11vnc.log -loopbg -display :0

* You can create a startup script so that X11VNC is automatically loaded at startup (with password settings):

echo "/usr/bin/x11vnc -forever -rfbport 5900 -rfbauth ~/.vnc/x11vnc.pass -o ~/.vnc/x11vnc.log -loopbg -display :0" > ~/.kde/Autostart/x11vnc.sh

* You can test the startup script:

~/.kde/Autostart/x11vnc.sh
    Last edited by perspectoff; January 6th, 2011 at 06:03 PM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by perspectoff View Post

These instructions use the Autostart folder for KDE/Kubuntu (~/.kde/Autostart). In Gnome/Ubuntu use the Autostart folder ~/.config/autostart instead.

Here are the full instructions copied from Kubuntuguide.org at:
    http://kubuntuguide.org/Maverick#X11VNC_Server

(or Ubuntuguide.org at:
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:M...#X11VNC_Server )

* Install the X11VNC server to share your desktop with other computers:

sudo apt-get install x11vnc

* Run X11VNC without a password:

x11vnc -forever -rfbport 5900

Note: -rfbport 5900 specifies the port to listen on. The port number can be changed. This option is not required if the default port 5900 will be used. Don't forget to open/forward this port in your firewall/router. By default X11VNC server exits after the first client disconnects. To keep it running (and allow future connections), use the -forever option. See
    http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/x11vnc_opts.html
    for more command line options.

* You can create a password:

mkdir ~/.vnc
    x11vnc -storepasswd YOUR_PASSWORD ~/.vnc/x11vnc.pass

* Run X11VNC, requiring a password:

x11vnc -forever -rfbport 5900 -rfbauth ~/.vnc/x11vnc.pass -o ~/.vnc/x11vnc.log -loopbg -display :0

* You can test the startup script:

~/.kde/Autostart/x11vnc.sh
    Thanks for all the information. I tried different variations of these commands
    from a "Terminal" and from command properties in a launch icon I created on my desktop.
    In every case, the second menu screen appears and waits for the selection of
    an "Accept connections" and/or the manual input of the password.

I get that same result if I just put the following command in the X11vnc startup applications command line and point it:
    x11vnc -rc x11vncserv (where 'x11vncserv' is the file in my /home/rick folder)

I want x11vnc to start during startup, and auto-enter my password from the .pass file
    and "accept connections" without any intervention from me.

So what am I doing wrong?

Rick (shobuz99)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

perspectoff, krunge

I have tried the following command in a 'Startup' I added in my "Startup Applications" section of "System Preferences":
    x11vnc -forever -rfbport 5909 -rfbauth ~/.vnc/x11vnc.pass -o /.vnc/x11vnc.log -loopbg -display :0

What happens is an endless loop of x11vnc sessions that open and continue to open,
    until I delete the command line in the 'startup' and restart my machine!
    This is not working for me. What am I doing wrong, and what other information do you need from me to help me get this working properly?
    I can provide my x11vnc.log if that will help.

As I said, I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on a AMD64 machine.
    I want to simply startup x11vnc with one session, that automatically selects the port, inputs the password from my /.vnc password file,
    and basically requires no manual intervention from me.
    So far, I have not been able to get this to work.
    The farthest I can get with ANY variation of x11vnc commands is to arrive at the 2nd dialog box that allows me to click "Accept Connections"
    as one of the options I want, and asks me for my password.
    I want to automatically get past the 2nd dialog box and avoid all this when I startup my machine. Is this even possible?

What am I doing that is either stupid, naive, or just plain wrong?
    I want to learn and understand this application so I can use it on my home network of two desktops, a laptop, and a netbook.
    Can you help me?

Rick (shobuz99)

Beans

The log file will probably tell you what is going wrong.

I suggest getting rid of -loopbg until you know what is going on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by krunge View Post
    The log file will probably tell you what is going wrong.

I suggest getting rid of -loopbg until you know what is going on.
    Thank you, Karl. I appreciate your help.
    BTW.. I'm not sure if I made this clear. X11vnc is a great piece of software.
    I like it very much.
    It is so much better to use than WinVNC on my former windows machine.
    I just want to be able to load the VNC Server the same way I did with WinVNC on my windows machine, at startup.
    No intervention. All Admin settings saved previously (including port, pw) and no fuss and no muss.
    That's why I've asked for help here. I don't want to be a pain-in-the-neck or wherever.
    I will try to figure this out and I will let you know what my x11vnc.log says,
    if I can't decipher it and take the appropriate action.
    Thank you again, for your help.

Rick (shobuz99)

Beans

You can send the log to this thread if you like. I suggest attaching it as a file instead of pasting it in.

BTW, here are some general ways to have x11vnc available at startup:

The files you need to edit to make this happen may be distro and time dependent.

Another thing that really confuses me is you say you get a GUI or something when x11vnc starts up... Do you have an ~/.x11vncrc file that you perhaps accidentally created via the gui? I suggest deleting it. Also, some distros will have a x11vnc.desktop menu item if you install x11vnc, and the x11vnc operation mode induced by that menu item also sounds like what you describe...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by krunge View Post
    You can send the log to this thread if you like. I suggest attaching it as a file instead of pasting it in.

BTW, here are some general ways to have x11vnc available at startup:

The files you need to edit to make this happen may be distro and time dependent.

Another thing that really confuses me is you say you get a GUI or something when x11vnc starts up... Do you have an ~/.x11vncrc file that you perhaps accidentally created via the gui? I suggest deleting it. Also, some distros will have a x11vnc.desktop menu item if you install x11vnc, and the x11vnc operation mode induced by that menu item also sounds like what you describe...
    Thank you, Karl. Yes, I have a file /.x11vncrc. When I installed x11vnc, I did create that file.
    I also created an alternative file called x11vncserv that was just a copy of /.x11vncrc,
    with some parms changed by me to experiment with to get x11vnc to auto-start, etc. as I explained previously.
    I deleted x11vncserv and I have been editing /.x11vncrc and trying set the parms to auto start there.
    I confess that I'm not having much luck.
    I think I need to clear my head, delete /.x11vncrc as you have instructed, and start all over again.
    My question is, would the command line you suggest in the help for "Continuously"
    work for me with the specific parms edited to fit my machine?
    What I read in the help file:
    /usr/local/bin/x11vnc -rfbauth /path/to/the/vnc/passwd -o /var/log/x11vnc.log -forever -bg
    Which would translate for me:
    /usr/local/bin/x11vnc -rfbauth ~/.vnc/x11vnc.pass -o ~/.vnc/x11vnc.log -forever -bg
    I would be pasting the above command in the Startup Applications file for X11vnc
    as is, in the command line, correct?

As to your question about the GUI. When I installed x11vnc through Synaptic Package;
    it added the command to the "Applications->internet" menu list.
    It's default command is: x11vnc -gui tray=setpass -rfbport PROMPT -bg -o %%HOME/.x11vnc.log.%%VNCDISPLAY
    I began using this until I decided that I was tired of the GUI screens to manually select the port#,
    ultravnc option, and then go to the 2nd screen (x11vnc properties) and select "Accept Connections",
    and enter a password and a "viewonly password" and then click OK.
    I wanted this to all be automated and for the GUI screens to be skipped.
    So, I edited the command to x11vnc -rc x11vncserv and tried using that
    to startup automaticaly. It wasn't doing the trick, as I explained.
    I've since deleted my logfile, through some of my own mistakes and I don't have the original anymore;
    but based on what you've told me, that may not be necessary to post, anyway.
    I've been monitoring my .x11vnc.log.rick-desktop:5907 file, while I was
    experimenting with the /.x11vncrc file parms.
    At one point I received this error message there:
    12/01/2011 10:52:39 cannot open passwdfile: "~/.vnc/x11vnc.pass"
    12/01/2011 10:52:39 fopen: No such file or directory

I was also getting this error within the x11vnc properties dialog box:

"The x11vnc program failed to start!

Maybe there is another VNC server
    already listening on port 5907?

You will need to start over after
    you make sure x11vnc can start."

I don't get these errors any more, after correcting some of my own mistakes. Sorry for the scattered details.

I am going to try what you suggest above.
    I will let you know how it all turns out.

Thank you very much for your help and patience with me.
    I'm an old IBM computer geek from the 1980's and I'm still getting used to Linux
    after using it, instead of windows, since I started with version Ubuntu 6.10..
    I'm now using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Thanks again.
    Rick (shobuz99)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast