Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install OpenTTD

Beans

HOWTO: Install OpenTTD

I'm not a native english speaker, so don't blame me on my english

Since there isn't a nice howto for the installation of this game yet I thought I'd create my own and share it with you

In this howto I'm going to (try to) explain how you can install OpenTTD on your Ubuntu(/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Edubuntu/Some other Ubuntu fork) Dapper box. It's pretty simple, but it needs some work with the command-line. So if you have an extreme fobia for the commandline, get the hell out of here and install Windows on your pc, or buy a mac or something.

1.What is OpenTTD

(if you know Transport Tycoon or Locomotion skip this part.)

OpenTTD is an opensource version of the popular Transport Tycoon Deluxe game by Chris Sawyer. You have the task to create a transport imperium with which you have to make as much profit as possible. There are four types of transport: Road, Rail, Air and Water. Each of these have their cons and pro's. You need to set up transport networks between sources and destinations like coal and powerplants, livestock/grain/steel and factories, iron ore and steel factories, wood and sawmills, passengers/mail and cities, etc, etc... There are a dozen of things to look after, like the capacities of the vehicles, the demand and the offer of various sources and destinations, the age of your vehicles, the financial figures, and competing companies. There is also a very good multiplayer part with built-in server browser. Guaranteed fun at lans

Enough info about the game, if you need more info, visit the official site:

www.openttd.org (especially the wiki's)

2.Installation

First, download the *.deb package from the official site. (this is the latest version: click) and the windows files: click. Don't let the word 'Windows' scare you off. We need some files from the original Transport Tycoon Deluxe.

Second, install the *.deb package. This is very simple. Just doubleclick the file to let the debian installer in Ubuntu do it's work.

Third, this one's bit tricky (at least, for n00bs like me... ). We need to copy some files from the ' ttd-win.zip' file to the installation folder and change the file permissions. I'm going to do most of this with the command-line, so you just need to copy/paste the lines.

1.Extract 'ttd-win.zip' to a folder you can easily find with the command line. (I extracted it to my 'Desktop' folder.) You can remove it later.

2.Open the terminal and cd to the folder you just extraced 'ttd-win.zip' to. It should be names 'ttd-win'. Open this folder ('ls').

3.Now, you should see 5 files with '*.grf' as its extension. As already might guess, these files contain the original grapics of the game. These files need to beed copied to the 'data' folder of the OpenTTD installation as well as the 'sample.cat' file. I did it like this:

Code:
    sudo cp *.grf sample.cat /usr/share/games/openttd/data
    (if your target folder is different, don't forget to change the command.)

This command copies all the required files to the openttd/data folder.

4.Now whe need to set the proper file permissions to the files whe just copied. Since we're not going to play the game in root (the user that copied the files) all the time. Use these commands:

Code:
    cd /usr/share/games/openttd/data
    Code:
    sudo chmod 777 *.grf sample.cat
    5.If you still got the terminal open type in this command:

Code:
    openttd
    And voilá, there you go. One finishing touch (optional):

Create a menu entry with Alacarte in the game menu and/or a shortcut on the desktop/whereever you want it. Use this command: 'openttd'. The icon for openttd is in the standard icon folder (this was done by the *.deb installer).

Have fun!
    Last edited by tdehoog; May 12th, 2006 at 05:53 PM. Reason: mass posting due to some glitz on the forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Install OpenTTD

Wouldn't it be easier with
    Code:
    ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence
    Wouldn't it be easier with
    Code:
    ?
    Ok, I changed it.

These are little tricks a n00b like me still has to learn

Thanks

Beans

Thx for the howto. Helped me to set up and get started in no time

Beans

Just wondering, were you able to get both sound and music in the game? Ive had troubles with suse but fedora (my current distro) works with both. I know theres sometimes issues with the midi music...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

If you are after midi output would using timidity not be a good idea, and run it with the option of timidity -iA -Os for ALSA input and Stereo Output. (haven't run open TTD, so don't know if it would help but maybe it would...)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by holr
    Just wondering, were you able to get both sound and music in the game? Ive had troubles with suse but fedora (my current distro) works with both. I know theres sometimes issues with the midi music...
    I haven't fugured the music out yet. But I know these files are in the ttd-win.zip file, since the windows installer from openttd also copies these.

I'm going to compare a window installation with a linux one, to figure which files are required.

After this I'll update the howto.

The sound-effects worked out of the box in my case.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tdehoog View Post
    I haven't fugured the music out yet. But I know these files are in the ttd-win.zip file, since the windows installer from openttd also copies these.

I'm going to compare a window installation with a linux one, to figure which files are required.

After this I'll update the howto.

The sound-effects worked out of the box in my case.
    The sound is in the gm-folder and must be copied into /usr/share/games/openttd/gm. But I have no idea how to get the music working...

Beans

I might have just got lucky but here is what I did to get the sound and music working.

First I just copied the file sample.cat from the /data directory on my windows copy of ttd to /usr/share/games/openttd/data - this got the sound working.

and then all the files from the /gm directory on my windows copy to /usr/share/games/openttd/gm. Then I installed (from synaptic) timidity.

When I next started the game the music worked...

...well actually... thinking about it I did need to start a new game and go to the jukebox and click the play button.

lol - I bet you'll be kicking your selves if thats what the problem is!

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by NiceGuy; September 6th, 2006 at 01:15 AM.
    The linux (lama) song
    Here's a linux, there's a linux and another little linux, fuzzy linux, funny linux, linux linux, Duck!
    Linux linux, Ubuntu linux, Warthog, Hedgehog, Badger linux
    Linux linux, Dapper linux, dapper, dapper, duck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Wink Re: HOWTO: Install OpenTTD

first of all there is a newer 0.4.8 which is a bug-fix. I was not able to install it the first time around but was able to install 0.4.7 & then install 0.4.8 which sat on top of it. Secondly timidity took another 30 MB to make the sound files work hence it would have be better if these guys use .ogg at some point so memory used would be less. The wiki gives some more info. when we can expect the changes. Looks like another couple of years down the line. http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Roadmap . The new graphics do seem cool http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Ci...ew_Graphics%29 although its supposed to take sometime to make it workable. I didn't have to do any magic to hear the sounds as I did copied the .gm files & then used timidity.

Edit :- Looking forward to 0.5 as & when it's released. The UI needs lots of improvement.
    Last edited by ShirishAg75; September 6th, 2006 at 11:53 AM.
    Registered Linux user #468829

http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast