Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 11.04 and catalyst 11.5, HOW???

Beans

ubuntu 11.04 and catalyst 11.5, HOW???

ok so i went from 10.04 to 10.10 to 11.04 today and now i have the 11.5 catalyst drivers on my desktop. how do i go about installing them? obviously clicking on the file itself isnt going to work. nothing ever seems to work that way in linux. when i do that it says gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding, which is automatically detected and RETRY does not work. i have not seen a write up over this except one and it was about 2 pages of command lines and i cant see how that is necessary. isnt there a down and dirty easy way?

Beans

Re: ubuntu 11.04 and catalyst 11.5, HOW???

*bump* anyone?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Sagacious View Post
    ok so i went from 10.04 to 10.10 to 11.04 today and now i have the 11.5 catalyst drivers on my desktop. how do i go about installing them? obviously clicking on the file itself isnt going to work. nothing ever seems to work that way in linux. when i do that it says gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding, which is automatically detected and RETRY does not work. i have not seen a write up over this except one and it was about 2 pages of command lines and i cant see how that is necessary. isnt there a down and dirty easy way?
    First, save the file to another directory (not your desktop) Downloads should be fine.

Next, open a command prompt and type:

Code:
    cd Downloads
    Or whatever folder you saved the file to

Then:

Code:
    sudo chmod +x fileneme
    Where filename is the name of the file you downloaded

Then type:

Code:
    sudo ./filename
    Where filename is the name of the file you downloaded

That should take care of it for you.

Cheers,

Hank
    "I think I will call 3.11 Linux for Workgroups." - Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Hidden!

Step 1.
    Code:
    sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
    If this returns "no such file or directory" it's fine. Proceed.
    Step 2.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
    This will probably return a couple of warnings: /usr/share/lib/fglrx and /usr/share/lib32/fglrx not empty. You do:
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /usr/share/lib/fglrx
    and
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /usr/share/lib32/fglrx
    Proceed.
    WARNING: SOMEWHERE AFTER THIS YOU MIGHT SEE "DKMS NOT NEEDED" OR SOMETHING SIMILAR. DO NOT REMOVE THE DKMS PACKAGE OR ELSE NOTHING WILL INSTALL.
    Step 3. COPY THIS DOWN on some papers before doing it!
    Reboot. When in the purple boot screen with flashing dots, press F1 key to get into the emergency recovery board (white-on-black screen). Do:
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old
    Then
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    You will get a GUI.
    Step 4.
    cd into whatever dir you have the .run file.
    You might want to
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libqtgui4
    Then
    Code:
    sudo sh (your installation file).run --buildpkg Ubuntu/natty
    Wait. A Synaptic window might pop up if you're doing this for the first time. Let it go away.
    Later you'll see the xterm returning four packages built.
    Now
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    Wait.
    Step 5.
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    then
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    then
    Code:
    fglrxinfo
    If the last command returnes "MESA" then report back.
    Else enjoy.
    Last edited by 3602; October 15th, 2011 at 12:08 AM.
    I support SOPA and I dare say it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just tried installing the 11.5 catalyst driver. The install seemed to work. Switchable graphics seemed to work. fglxinfo show the intel driver in use when I switched to it and the ATI radeon driver when I switched to that driver.

However, when I try to play a flash video (hulu or YouTube) in full-screen mode, all I get is a blank white screen. In non-full-screen mode the video plays fine. On the Intel driver the video plays fine, just not on the Catalyst driver in full-screen mode.

Beans
    Hidden!

Um... Try Flash-Aid. Back a while ago my YT videos played real choppy, after applying Flash-Aid all went on fine even after two more manually installed fglrx-es.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I can get the full-screen flash videos to play if I uncheck the Enable Hardware Acceleration box in the flash settings menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

3602, I didn't understand what I was typing, but that DID do the trick, and I have the latest Catalyst installed now. Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!

Glad to be of help! If all is fine then you may mark this thread as "SOLVED". Use the "Thread Tools" button at the upper right corner. Cheers!

Beans

Seeing that this thread isn't marked as Solved yet, and rather than starting a whole new thread, I thought I would post my question here.

I just did a fresh install of 11.04 64bit, and removed all fglrx drivers and installed 11.5 from ATI's website, that seemed to go well. When I rebooted with Switchable graphics enabled in my bios, my boot of Ubuntu hard locks right before it should start the X server.

I booted Ubuntu in safe mode, checked my Xorg.log file, but it was blank. Continuing with normal boot after safe, it drops me to a command line, running startx hard locks my system again, with no output going to my Xorg.log. Any idea on what I could try? Would I have better luck with 32bit over 64?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast