Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the Ubuntu Forums use VBulletin

Beans

Why the Ubuntu Forums use VBulletin

Just wondering: Why are these forums using vBulletin? I mean seriously, this is an open source project isn't it? It's LINUX. You're using a commerical product for discussion

Maybe phpbb would be better?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Re: V-Bulletin?

FYI: This has been discussed previously.
    /path/to/Truth

Beans
    Hidden!

The correct word is proprietary.

FLOSS can be commercial. Just like you can give away proprietary software. It is proprietary because you do not get the source, nor could you change itif you did.

Not that I want to continue this here. The point has been brought up in other threads. It is just important to use the proper terminology, especially when advocating free software.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by azz
    The correct word is proprietary.

FLOSS can be commercial. Just like you can give away proprietary software. It is proprietary because you do not get the source, nor could you change itif you did.

Not that I want to continue this here. The point has been brought up in other threads. It is just important to use the proper terminology, especially when advocating free software.
    Okay then, proprietary

The reasons in the linked thread are fairly good, but I do think you should stick with this theme. It fits well with the rest of the site, I think.

Beans
    Hidden!

Regarding licencing and vbulletin:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=23695

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question vBulletin == proprietary

vBulletin is proprietary software. That is not bad per se and, don't get me wrong, it's beautiful & useful, but my question is:

Why isn't Canonical supporting open-source software (at least in this case) ?

Beans

Re: vBulletin == proprietary

Quote Originally Posted by vyruss
    vBulletin is proprietary software. That is not bad per se and, don't get me wrong, it's beautiful & useful, but my question is:

Ubuntuforums is not being run by canonical. It was started by ubuntu-geek using his own money.
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nocturn
    Ubuntuforums is not being run by canonical. It was started by ubuntu-geek using his own money.
    In fact, it is being run on completely different servers. These are just forums to provide support for the Ubuntu community. It's a contribution by ubuntu-geek. Same with Kubuntuforums.

Beans
    Hidden!

It is a web service. It is not running on your computer, so however it is licenced, it does not involve the user. Like google, ebay, Launchpad or yahoo.

Now, if you want to read something interesting, google affero-gpl. It is athe GPL with a clause to cover end-users of web services.
    I lost a "z". Anyone seen it around here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK my bad

Thanks for your answer, I had no intention to flame!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast