Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Future of Microsoft?

Beans

Future of Microsoft?

I'm interested in what folks around here think about the future of Microsoft.

I remember when I got into this computer thing around ten years ago, people were predicting its demise, or the certain demise of MSN, IE, etc. It has never happened. Where do you think it will be in two to three years? (I guess I would prefer you to be as sincere as possible )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Future of Microsoft?

I read an article a few months ago saying that Vista could be the last MS OS and that they may be concentrating on the services market hence all this Windows Live stuff.

I think I read it on Digg, I can't remember who the author was though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

the bigger MS becomes, the less quickly it can adapt to what is, essentially, a fast moving market. with vista, we will see MS start to go downhill. how much so is a moot point. it depends upon how quickly it can adapt and how many dirty tricks it can pull out of its inexhaustable bag of dirty tricks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Within the next 2 or 3 years, I don't believe anything will change. MS will be able to keep its near-monopoly market share.
    As for the long term(20-30 years), I haven't got the slitest idea.
    "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Microsoft's monopoly will last because free software developers don't have money! Everything in this world needs money. You can't make software without having money.
    Viller on freenode.

Beans

I think Ubuntu can have a say on what's going to change on other OSes camp, since I really believe that its product has the quality to change things around. The odds are changing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I believe open source will have an increasing important role in South America and the less developed parts of Asia (roughly, Asia minus Korea and Japan). I'm very confident that once big upcoming world powers get more supportive of open source, it's gonna help tremendously in the long run.

As for Europe and North America, I'm not sure if much will happen these next couple of years. There are a few debates about open standards where I live, but not so much about open source. The politicians seem too reluctant to do anything about it, even the "shift to open standards" proposals. They're welcomed, but the excuse is "it's not wise to do now, wait some more years".

Over time I do predict a paradigm shift from convenience to "openess", but it's not going to happen right at this instant.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

This blog entry is somewhat biased... Has some good points though

http://toorg.blogspot.com/2006/05/wh...will-fail.html

ODF is already a standard, MS is trying to get their open XML (which has patents on it) on the same track.

http://www.ecma-international.org/ne...45-2006-50.htm

Regarding Vista,

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT8288296398.html
    http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/...ta_5308_05.asp
    http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2006/03...rship-now.html

So... I guess it's hard to tell. I doubt they are going to dissapear. The way things play out in 2007 will be a good indicator of how things are going.
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by commodore
    Microsoft's monopoly will last because free software developers don't have money! Everything in this world needs money. You can't make software without having money.

There are paid developers / bounties for Free software...
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by commodore
    Not really true. Donations, government initiative and support spendings (Red Hat, Novell, anyone?) help fund free software projects right now.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast