Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BUMPS: Multimedia Preparator for Ubuntu

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

BUMPS: Multimedia Preparator for Ubuntu

If you're looking to download BUMPS, I'd recommend going to the development thread.

The Basic Ubuntu Multimedia Preparation Script

Ubuntu is committed to Free Software. The base distribution doesn't include anything that isn't Free. This gives it versatility- there are rather few environments in which you can't use Free Software. Well, that's fine and dandy, but it brings with it problems for those who want to use Ubuntu as a desktop OS: it doesn't include codecs for non-free formats like WMV or MP3. Normally, getting Ubuntu ready to handle those proprietary formats is tedious, and can even be difficult for some. In order to help simplify the process of getting Ubuntu set up for multimedia, I present the Basic Ubuntu Multimedia Preparation Script.

People might be wondering why I bothered to write BUMPS when Automatix and EasyUbuntu are already on the scene. It's simple: Automatix wasn't available for Dapper (The release I was using as my OS at the time), I found myself reinstalling every week or so, and the prospect of getting multimedia setup was increasingly annoying me. I wasn't really impressed with EasyUbuntu, so I decided to write up my own script. And here we are, two months later.

For clarity, I'll outline what BUMPS does right here.

1. Back up /etc/apt/sources.list and replace it with a custom version
    2. Install and configure a large set of multimedia-oriented packages
    3. Offer to put the old sources.list back

The packages it installs are:

sun-java5-jre, sun-java5-plugin, acroread, faac, faad, ffmpeg, flac, flashplugin-nonfree, gstreamer0.10-esd, gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, gstreamer0.10-gl, gstreamer0.10-esd, gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, gstreamer0.10-gl, gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad, gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse, gstreamer0.10-plugins-base, gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3, gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mpegdemux, gstreamer0.10-plugins-good, gstreamer0.10-pitfdll, gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly, gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse, gstreamer0.10-sdl, lame, libdc1394-13-dev, libdvdcss2, libdvdnav4, libdvdread3, libxine-extracodecs, libxine-main1, libxvidcore4, lsdvd, mozilla-acroread, mplayer, mozilla-mplayer, msttcorefonts, sox, vobcopy, w32codecs

BUMPS installs a large variety of software that isn't strictly legal (or whose stance is legally ambigious) to have in multiple countries. To protect yourself from possible prosecution by your local authorities, I would highly recommend ensuring that the packages BUMPS installs are legal where you live. If you find that a package isn't legal to install, BUMPS has an option to customize the set of packages you install- you can uncheck it from the list there if you so desire.

While what I'm hearing is that it's pretty much stable and useful for a lot of people, I have no doubt that people will find bugs. If you find a bug, or find some aspect of BUMPS that you absolutely hate, or if you find some totally awesome feature missing that you would really like to see incorporated into the next release of BUMPS, send me an e-mail. My e-mail address is Iandefor@gmail.com. I'm setting up a filter for it, so if you send something BUMPS-related, please drop the term "BUMPS" in the subject line somewhere. Thanks!

And, finally, there are the acknowledgements. I owe too many people for helping out with this project. I'll try to fit in the most notable ones here.

Endersshadow- He's helped me correct countless bugs, he's suggested packages for BUMPS, he's hosting the BUMPS repository, and he stepped up to bat for me when he felt it was important to do so. In addition, he's taking over the project. +1 awesome dude.

Mstlyevil-Mstlyevil was instrumental in getting BUMPS it's own subforum. He's also flattered me immensely by offering me a place on the Automatix Team. While I declined because I've been busy getting BUMPS working more fancily, I'm still thankful for all the consideration he's extended towards me.

Wheelspin- He showed me around a bug in getting Java set up that threatened to kill BUMPS because of its' persistence. Thanks, man!

Benplaut
    - Benplaut helped me around a bad apt problem which was present during early BUMPS development. Thanks!

Bored2K
    - He alerted me to the presence of the Penguin Liberation Front repositories. While that sort of crashed and burned, it was mightily helpful nonetheless. A big thankee!

M87- M87 has offered to help me move BUMPS to a more powerful scripting language. I might just take him up on it one of these days. While I've just been sitting on the offer for the last couple months, it was still really nice of him to offer to help. Thank you!

Last edited by Iandefor; December 27th, 2006 at 11:05 PM.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beans

Re: BUMPS: Multimedia Preparator for Ubuntu

!
    Last edited by adamkane; May 24th, 2006 at 03:33 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

EDIT: Thanks, adamkane.
    Last edited by Iandefor; May 24th, 2006 at 03:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

For today's performance, I'll be playing the part of the semi-newb.

Question 1:
    Exactly what support does this add to Dapper? While I know what some of those packages are, I don't know what all of them do. It'd be nice for us newbs to see what support it adds, such as:

Audio files:
    mp3
    m4a
    flac
    ...etc.

Video files:
    DivX-encoded files
    XviD-encoded files
    DVD Discs
    ...etc
    I realize that a lot of what's listed is semi-self-explanatory, but some of it isn't. For instance, what all does "w32codecs" add?

Question 2:
    You say "this may be illegal in your country, so check and find out." Where does one check such things? I know the /easy/ answer is usually "If you're in the US, you can't use this", but is there a list somewhere that says what countries do or do not allow what applications? RestrictedFormats, maybe?

Question 3:
    Is there some way to add a quick and dirty GUI to this that allows the user to select what is or is not installed? For example, I'd love to use this to install the media formats I need, but my laptop doesn't have a DVD drive, so installing libdvdcss2 is a waste of time and space. Maybe this is outside the scope of the project, though... but if there was a list like in Question 1, I could say "Oh, this installs DVD support, but I don't really need that, so I'll use a different auto-installer" or something similar.

Now that that's out of the way, thanks for your time and effort! This could be a really handy tool!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jrronimo
    For today's performance, I'll be playing the part of the semi-newb.

Question 1:
    Exactly what support does this add to Dapper? While I know what some of those packages are, I don't know what all of them do. It'd be nice for us newbs to see what support it adds, such as:
    "multimedia" support . Never thought of that. I'll have to compile such a list.

Question 2:
    You say "this may be illegal in your country, so check and find out." Where does one check such things? I know the /easy/ answer is usually "If you're in the US, you can't use this", but is there a list somewhere that says what countries do or do not allow what applications? RestrictedFormats, maybe?
    No such list exists, to my knowledge. I assume that most people are familiar enough with the laws of their country to know what's okay to install or not.

Question 3:
    Is there some way to add a quick and dirty GUI to this that allows the user to select what is or is not installed? For example, I'd love to use this to install the media formats I need, but my laptop doesn't have a DVD drive, so installing libdvdcss2 is a waste of time and space. Maybe this is outside the scope of the project, though... but if there was a list like in Question 1, I could say "Oh, this installs DVD support, but I don't really need that, so I'll use a different auto-installer" or something similar.
    Already is one- if you run the script, it will ask you which installation type you want- custom or default. I could make that more clear, though.

Now that that's out of the way, thanks for your time and effort! This could be a really handy tool!
    Thanks for bringing your concerns up! It helps me out to know what needs to be clarified.

Beans

Congratulations Iandefor. If you would like a spot on the Automatix forums I would be more than happy to give you one. Bumps is a great option if all you want is basic multimedia. Keep up the good work.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Smile Re: BUMPS: Multimedia Preparator for Ubuntu

On what systems does BUMPS work? I can run Automatix fine but my friend was turned off to it because it didn't run on his Athlon 64.

A quick list would be useful. Thanks.

BTW: Great work.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mstlyevil
    Congratulations Iandefor. If you would like a spot on the Automatix forums I would be more than happy to give you one. Bumps is a great option if all you want is basic multimedia. Keep up the good work.
    I'll turn down the offer for a spot on the Automatix forums, but thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by admiral_pro
    On what systems does BUMPS work? I can run Automatix fine but my friend was turned off to it because it didn't run on his Athlon 64.

A quick list would be useful. Thanks.

BTW: Great work.
    x86 right now. The only real concern with making versions for PPC or AMD64 is package selection- some packages haven't been built or can't be built for either platform yet, so they have to be excluded. I might do it sometime, but for now, I'm focusing on x86 support.

Beans

Could someone please tell which repo msttcorefonts is in, I can't seem to find it? And w32codecs too if you don't mind?

thanks
    Ubuntu User number is # 33337, Linux Registered User #531864, Boot info script, Wireless info script

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozitraveller
    Could someone please tell which repo msttcorefonts is in, I can't seem to find it? And w32codecs too if you don't mind?

thanks
    Msttcorefonts is in Multiverse, and w32codecs is in my custom repository.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast