Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Convert audio CDs with Grip and understand what you are doing.

Beans
    Hidden!

Arrow HOWTO: Convert audio CDs with Grip and understand what you are doing.

This guide is constantly worked on and should always be as up-to-date with the current version of Ubuntu . This guide will deal mostly how to set up the encoder for Grip but will be expanded and refined.

Here I will attempt to help you convert you audio CDs to computer formats.

References

Getting The Software

Lets start off by enabling the "Multiverse" repos by going to System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager.

Once up, go to Settings->Repositories.

On the "Ubuntu 6.10" tab make sure the Universe and Multiverse repos are checked. Hit the "Close" button then hit the "Reload" button in the upper-left of Synaptic.

After the refresh we're gonna go to the terminal just to switch it up on ya.
    (Skip the above step if your using Ubuntu 7.04 and above.)

Open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install grip lame
    This will get the Grip and LAME packages needed.

Or use this to get Grip plus extra codecs.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install grip lame faac flac vorbis-tools wavpack mppenc aacplusenc
    Configuring The Encoder
    We'll use .mp3's as the example.

Go to Applications->Sound & Video->Grip to launch Grip.
    Once Grip is up click on the "Config" tab then the "Encode" tab. This is where we will do most of our work.

You should see this at first:

OK. Heres where it got all confusing for me and where I'm really gonna help you.

Change the the "Encoder" drop-down menu options to look like:
    • Encoder: lame
    • Encoder executable: /usr/bin/lame
    • Encoder command-line: -h -b %b %w %m
    • Encode file extension: mp3
    • Encode file format ~/mp3s/%A/%d/%n.%x

Let me explain 2 things. Anything with a - in front of it, like, -h is a option passed to the Encoder. Anything with a % is a option passed to Grip.

So this; -h -b %b %w %m means.

• -h High quality.
    • -b Specified minimum allowed bitrate (8,16,24,...,320. ie: -b 320).
    • %b The bitrate that files are being encoded at.

-These 2 below shouldn't be messed with unless you know what you are doing.-
    • %w The filename of the wave file being ripped.
    • %m The filename of the file being encoded.

All that will result in a Joint Stereo, 128kbps CBR 44.1khz.mp3

My Settings

My "Encoder command-line" looks like, -h -V 3 %w %m.

• -h High quality.
    • -V 3 Variable Bitrate switch with a quality level of 3. The "space" in between the capital "V" and the "3" are needed.
      [See the LAME commandline switches links above for more options.

-These 2 below shouldn't be messed with unless you know what you are doing.-
    • %w The filename of the wave file being ripped.
    • %m The filename of the file being encoded.

Other Examples

Say you wanted a really normal standard like a High-quality, Stereo, CBR 192.mp3
    -h -b 192 -m s %w %m would be your "Encoder command-line" setting.

Note - Anything not strictly defined will revert to defaults. ie: If you wanted a 48kHz sampling rate for your .mp3 and didn't define it it will be created at 44.1kHz.

Code:
    MP3 - Needs the "lame" package from the repos. (click here for example pic)
    -V 3 --vbr-new %w %m

FLAC - Needs the "flac" package from the repos. (click here for example pic)
    -V --best -T TITLE=%n -T ALBUM=%d  -T TRACKNUMBER=%t -T ARTIST=%a -T GENRE=%G -T DATE=%y -o %m %w

WAVPACK - Needs the "wavpack" package from the repos. (click here for example pic)
    -w "Artist=%a" -w "Title=%n" -w "Album=%d" -w "Year=%y" -w "Track=%t" -w "Genre=%G" -hh -o %m %w

MUSEPACK - Needs the "mppenc" package from the repos. (click here for example pic)
    --standard --ape2 --artist "%a" --title "%n" --album "%d" --year "%y" --track "%t" --genre "%G" - %m %w

OGG - Needs the "vorbis-tools" package from the repos. (click here for example pic)
    -q 6 -a %a -l %d -t %n -d %y -N %t -G %G -b %b -o %m %w

FAAC - Needs the "faac" package from the repos. (click here example pic)
    -w -q 192 --artist "%A" --track "%t" --title "%n" --album "%d" --year "%y" --genre "%G" -o %m %w

AACPLUSENC - Needs the "aacplusenc" package from Medibuntu. (click here example pic)
     --artist "%A" --track "%t" --title "%n" --album "%d" --year "%y" --genre "%G" -o %m %w
    Note - Make sure you have your Universe and Multiverse repos open to get the appropriate codecs if you're using Ubuntu 6.10 and below.

So hopefully this will help anyone wanting to use Grip. Remember to read through my references. They will really help once you get your head around how arguments are passed. Use what's best for you.
    Last edited by MetalMusicAddict; February 9th, 2008 at 04:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Create Mp3s with Grip and understand what you are doing.

With new CDs is there an advantage to CDparanoia?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Seriously, people should stop recommending CBR encodings and command line switches they know nothing about. Presets are there for a reason. Stick to them and use only a suitable -V x switch. See the relative page at the HA wiki if you're interested: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....coder_Settings

Beans
    Hidden!

Whos recommending a CBR setting?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Well, you are. Why else would you give an example of a "High-quality, Stereo, CBR 192" encoding? This is not a high quality encoding by all means. It is instead a perfect waste of bits. And the first setting you give is also a 128kbps CBR encoding. Please give examples of command lines people should actually use.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by george_apan
    Well, you are. Why else would you give an example of a "High-quality, Stereo, CBR 192" encoding?
    No, Im not. Re-read it. Im sure you can find another reason.
    This is not a high quality encoding by all means. It is instead a perfect waste of bits.
    I whole heartedly agree. Maybe you could have assumed some would use my settings, humm?
    And the first setting you give is also a 128kbps CBR encoding.
    The 1st setting is what comes up as the default. Its there to show them what their screen would look like at the beginning. Its an example to help people to understand what they are doing. I made this HOWTO to do just that.
    Please give examples of command lines people should actually use.
    Im not here to tell people what to use. Thats a personal choice. I have given plenty of links to help them with that choice.

Please read and understand a little more before jumping to incorrect conclusions. Or at least ask first.
    Last edited by MetalMusicAddict; May 29th, 2006 at 10:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Well, you made a thread about creating mp3s. If you do not wish to provide any sane settings then you should point (in a clear way) people to wherever they could find such information. Sorry if I came out a little hard on you, I didn't mean to. Anyway, my advice for you if you want to listen to it, is to drop the "-m s" switch for your personal settings. It does way more harm than good to your encoding. And for this howto you can give a few examples like "if your want a standard sized (~128kbps) mp3 use only the -V 5 switch", or "if you want an encoding that is as close to the original as possible without wasting bits use the -V 2 switch".

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by george_apan
    Anyway, my advice for you if you want to listen to it, is to drop the "-m s" switch for your personal settings. It does way more harm than good to your encoding.
    Exactly how? From what Ive read if I dont add the "-m s" to force "stereo" -V 3 will use joint stereo. Which sacrifices seperation for fidelity. Dont really wanna do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMusicAddict
    Exactly how? From what Ive read if I dont add the "-m s" to force "stereo" -V 3 will use joint stereo. Which sacrifices seperation for fidelity. Dont really wanna do that.
    This is a common misunderstanding. Joint-stereo is always better than forced stereo with LAME. You can read more here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...=ST&f=15&t=683 Especially post #2.

Beans
    Hidden!

From HAF:
    Quote Originally Posted by tangent
    While this may be true for a few popular encoders which have screwed up Joint Stereo implementation (FHg, Xing, etc), this is not true for LAME.
    Ahh... I see. In my early mp3 creation days I used AudioCatalyst which used Xing. So when I went to Audiograbber I tried to use similar settings. Though I did up my VBR settings when I went to LAME.

With Grip/LAME now Ill do some studio and home listening tests to see if its makes a audiable difference. If not Ill ditch it. I dont suspect it will.

What do you think about -h -p -V 3 --vbr-new? Specificlly the -p switch. Is error protection needed?
    Last edited by MetalMusicAddict; May 30th, 2006 at 01:04 AM.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast