Thread: Response to the Art team

Beans

Response to the Art team

I was shocked when I installed Ubuntu how good it looked, and even more so in 5.04. The new Forum Layout is excellent too, I believe the high standard of the visuals in the Ubuntu project does a lot to make non tech people feel welcome. A lot of the goodness I would attribute to the intelligent design decisions the graphics is generally coupled with, it sets ubuntu apart from all other OSes I have tried really.

So far there is only one issue I have seen that was a disappointment, it was equally so in windows XP or in a 20 000 $ Highbrow Design website so I don´t think it is something to be ashamed of or how to put it. The problem is usually caused by the designer not being able to see the problem on his own or his test setup, and I mean it isn´t a biggie it is just that if you start to notice it like then you will notice it a lot...

Shortly, when you use images with gradients like in the banner on top or the ubuntu login screen, mixed with colours that are specified either to an internet browser or a UI designer, you get unpredictable colour differences that will wary with screen resolution/colour depth, internet browser, platform and display type.

The solution is ;

A . use a (preferably stretched 1 pixel) graphic instead of #d9d2c3 or whatever or if this is not possible,

B . use a border grapic to separate/hide the colour difference. 3 pixel diagonal lines in a differnt colour, white blurry stars or really any slightly distracting pattern will make quite large differences in colour invisible to all but the snobbyest snobbists...

C. Fade the transition to entirely safe colours like Black or white, or system dependent safe colours like "web safe colours" (for the web "system"), or if possible "really web safe colours "# which is even more consistent across platforms and old equipment.

I hope I am reaching the interface designers from this forum, please move if I am in the wrong place.
    Last edited by inging; April 8th, 2005 at 07:27 PM.

Beans

Re: Response to the Art team

Quote Originally Posted by inging
    Shortly, when you use images with gradients like in the banner on top or the ubuntu login screen, mixed with colours that are specified either to an internet browser or a UI designer, you get unpredictable colour differences that will wary with screen resolution/colour depth, internet browser, platform and display type.
    Well, we have to match the official Ubuntu site, so unfortunately, we cannot change the banner.

The banner, however, was tested on multiple systems and it did not have any issues, other than with lower color depth monitors, which is standard for any image.

Most of the time, using an image ensures consistent branding across as many user platforms as possible. The colors below the banner in the site however, must adhere to the forum's engine specifications.

In this case, the changes you are asking for will most like not happen simply because of the restrictions not only in the top banner design, but also in the forum engine.
    ??? :: ubuntu is my OS soul mate
    UDSF :: Forum Policies :: Unanswered Posts :: Ruby :: Donate
    official ubuntu member
    :: ??????? :: so say we all

Beans

Re: Response to the Art team

Well, I realise there are sometimes limitations to what can be achieved, as I said the reason I mentioned this at all is that people sometimes aren´t aware of it simply because it is invisible to them on their own system, I wonder if perhaps that is the case with you or we are talking past eachother.

What I talk about is the way that the colour at the right end of the banner doesn´t blend into the colour at the blank space to the left of the banner. That there is a mild contrast that sorta breaks the "illusion" or what to call it. This is also present in the login screen:

Small square around the login that might or might not be visible on a system. I think the 5.04 edition doesn´t have an issue really, with the icons it doesn´t look unintended as there is larger contrast.

I forgot to mention that there also is a D . solution, that is to use a contrasting colour rather than the closest match. While a close match sortof blends better, if you ask people about it they will often percieve it as an "error" or that it wasn´t intended, detracting from the otherwise very professional and joyful impression you get from using ubuntu the first time. I mean for like 80-90% you would proabably have to point your finger at it and people would like move their head closer to the screen, it´s not an important issue but to some people like people that work in Print, it´ll look like something they would be yelled at for letting happen at work. It´s just something I wanted to at least make a post about, maybe it could be incorporated in the next release or site update, it'll hardly make much impact either way. I logged in to ubuntu three times before I noticed myself, and I worked in a print press as well as with [real! not quark exported!] webdesign.
    Last edited by inging; April 8th, 2005 at 07:21 PM.