Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Install 32 bit wine to 64 bit Dapper without chroot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Install 32 bit wine to 64 bit Dapper without chroot

Feisty has a 64bit wine deb available from the the WineHQ. This page is no longer supported on new versions of Ubuntu but is left in place for those running older versions that are still current releases like the Long term release Dapper Drake. (My personal favorite Ubuntu version)

I was recently asked to add this howto to the Ubuntu Wiki
    I will be keeping both versions up to date and this thread will serve as a place to help those who have problems with both this post and the wiki entry.

Here is the howto for Edgy and Dapper

Ok download the wine package. The version number is now at 9.43 but could change. There is a package for Edgy and Dapper, if you run either of those get that one and just edit the commands.

http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/pool/main/w/wine/

get the libxxf86dga1 package

http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/d...i386&type=main
    Save the files to your desktop.

First we will install the needed libraries.
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    dpkg -x libxxf86dga1_1.0.0-0ubuntu3_i386.deb libs
    sudo cp ~/Desktop/libs/usr/lib/* /usr/lib32
    Next we will install wine

For Dapper Drake (Ubuntu 6.06)
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i wine_0.9.43~winehq0~ubuntu~6.06-1_i386.deb
    For Edgy Eft (Ubuntu 6.10)
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i wine_0.9.43~winehq0~ubuntu~6.10-1_i386.deb
    You may have to edit the last command to reflect the version number of the .deb you downloaded.

Test it out by typing winecfg, the wine controll pannel will should start up.

When you add windows programs the launcher it places may not have a pretty icon, you may get errors saying it cant find the icon, but this is easy to fix. Right click on the launcher, select "Properties" from the menu, then click on the icon next to name in the properties box. Search for an icon and click open.

Sidenet Setup Script
    If you followed the manual instructions you need to install the Sidenet script. Wine versions 0.9.16 - 0.9.41, some additional setup needs to be done. Sidenet adds fonts, a virtual c drive in you home folder, and sets up the windows dll's in the wine registry. So you may want to install it anyway on the newer versions.
    Please do not run this setup script with sudo.
    Download the file to your desktop. Open a terminal and enter
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop 
    tar -xzvf sidenet.tar.gz sidenet
    Then we change the directory and run the script.
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop/sidenet 
    ./setup

World of Warcraft
    This section is outdated. Wine above 0.9.32 dose not need patching and runs WoW with few problems. The section is in place in case someone running an older version wonders why it doesnt run right.
    World of Warcraft can be run under wine. But it must be compiled with patches to make that possible. Compiling wine on the 64bit platform is almost impossible. But it appears that someone is making .deb files of wine that include the patches. You can download the file and use the install instructions above if you want to play WOW.

Edgy Eft
    I had a long conversation on the developers mailing list. In it I found out that since they now have a 64bit open office they will be removing the default install of ia32 packages from versions from Edgy on. These packages contain the 32bit libaries for running 32bit applications on 64bit Ubuntu.
    Because of this some more packages will need to be installed. They are in the repositories and should install with apt. So open a terminal and enter.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    We may be addibng more packages as development continues. If you have any problems make a post. The error will contain the following.
    Code:
    err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winex11.drv":
    Mention that you are running Edgy or Feisty if you are. Copy and paste into the post the complete error from the terminal.

Common Errors:
    Code:
    fixme:wgl:X11DRV_setup_opengl_visual Failed to find a suitable visual
    or
    Code:
    X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 142 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
    Serial number of failed request: 14
    Current serial number in output stream: 15
    To fix these errors you need to install/update the drivers for your video card to enable openGL. To test if they are enabled type in glxgears in the terminal. If you do not see a window open with 3 rotating gears it confirms you need the drivers.
    Code:
    error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    The solution for people with Nvidia cards that have this error can be found here.

No Sound in Windows applications
    or
    Code:
    wine depends on libaudio2; however:
    Package libaudio2 is not installed.
    You may need to install the 32bit sould libraries. You can use Synaptic to install lib32asound2 and ia32-libs-sdl or open a terminal and type in.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lib32asound2 ia32-libs-sdl
    You can also try and install the 32bit alsa-oss package I made for Firefox32. It may help in some cases.

Cant save registry error.
    Code:
    $ wineserver: could not save registry branch to /home/*****/.wine-*****/system.reg : No such file or directory
    You need to install the sidenet script.

Windows Applications
    Wine is not perfect. You are not guaranteed of getting every Windows application working. If you need information or help setting up a Windows application please Visit the Wine Application Database.
    This Howto only covers Wine itself. There are to many Windows Applications to be able to support the installation of all of them in this thread.

Updated: Added latest version of Wine - 9.17
    Edit - 7-13-2006: Added modified sidenet script to fix setup issues with newer wine versions.
    Edit - 8-16-2006: Added wine-9.19 script and changed howto to reflect new version.
    Edit 3-16-07: Updated to wine 0.9.32
    Edit 4-25-07: Added Feisty package and updated howto to Feisty and wine 0.9.35
    Last edited by Kilz; August 13th, 2007 at 11:39 PM.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans

Re: Install 32 bit wine to 64 bit Dapper without chroot

I get this when running winecfg:

ryan@Hickeroar:~/WINEINSTALL$ winecfg

The config program starts up, but thats about it. I'm not sure what exactly i'm doing wrong here. Any help would be appreciated... Is there some part of the setup that i havent done right?

Also, I'm trying to run (Valve's) steaminstall.exe and it gives me a popup that says:
    "Could not initialize installation. File size expected=725365, size 725365."

and in the console it says:
    Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/home/ryan/Downloads', starting in the Windows directory.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Hickeroar; June 6th, 2006 at 02:00 AM.

Beans

Rock.
    This totally worked, and is the simplest way I've seen yet to get AMD64 working with wine. Thanks for the great guide! I've spent hours on this, and these steps took me all of 10 minutes.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rhadamanthos
    Rock.
    This totally worked, and is the simplest way I've seen yet to get AMD64 working with wine. Thanks for the great guide! I've spent hours on this, and these steps took me all of 10 minutes.
    Your welcome, Im just glad someone found my first howto useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickeroar
    I get this when running winecfg:

ryan@Hickeroar:~/WINEINSTALL$ winecfg

The config program starts up, but thats about it. I'm not sure what exactly i'm doing wrong here. Any help would be appreciated... Is there some part of the setup that i havent done right?

Also, I'm trying to run (Valve's) steaminstall.exe and it gives me a popup that says:
    "Could not initialize installation. File size expected=725365, size 725365."

and in the console it says:
    Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/home/ryan/Downloads', starting in the Windows directory.

Thanks!
    Im not sure either, have you set up your video drivers to enable opengl?
    Last edited by Kilz; June 7th, 2006 at 05:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

hrm...this hasn't worked on my system. I am getting this:
    Code:
    Dwarfstar:~/Desktop$ winecfg
    /usr/bin/winecfg: line 29: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
    /usr/bin/winecfg: line 29: /usr/bin/wine: Success
    It also mentioned some other dependencies, such as libsane earlier. I installed libsane, then re-ran the install of wine. But it appears to have failed to actually install wine itself.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bonzodog
    hrm...this hasn't worked on my system. I am getting this:
    Code:
    Dwarfstar:~/Desktop$ winecfg
    /usr/bin/winecfg: line 29: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
    /usr/bin/winecfg: line 29: /usr/bin/wine: Success
    It also mentioned some other dependencies, such as libsane earlier. I installed libsane, then re-ran the install of wine. But it appears to have failed to actually install wine itself.
    Is wine in /usr/bin? can you see it if you navigate to the directory with nautilus? If not would you please try again and paste in here the terminal session you used to install wine.
    Last edited by Kilz; June 9th, 2006 at 03:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Code:
    tzenes@Cerveza:~/Desktop$ winecfg
    Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
    Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.
    Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.
    err:winecfg:load_drives GetVolumeInformation() for 'C:\' failed, setting serial to 0
    err:winecfg:load_drives GetVolumeInformation() for 'D:\' failed, setting serial to 0
    I also have this opengl problem. Now I know I have opengl and Freeglut3 installed, however my graphics card is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200M for which neither flgx nor the ati drivers work (so I'm using the Vesa driver), which may be my problem.

Also for some reason I can't seem to change the C: drive. It defaults to /media/hda1 (which is my NTFS partition), and every time I change it to something on my ext3 partition and hit apply and then close and start up again, its reset to /media/hda1.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tzenes
    Code:
    tzenes@Cerveza:~/Desktop$ winecfg
    err:winecfg:load_drives GetVolumeInformation() for 'C:\' failed, setting serial to 0
    err:winecfg:load_drives GetVolumeInformation() for 'D:\' failed, setting serial to 0
    I also have this opengl problem. Now I know I have opengl and Freeglut3 installed, however my graphics card is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200M for which neither flgx nor the ati drivers work (so I'm using the Vesa driver), which may be my problem.

Also for some reason I can't seem to change the C: drive. It defaults to /media/hda1 (which is my NTFS partition), and every time I change it to something on my ext3 partition and hit apply and then close and start up again, its reset to /media/hda1.
    I use sidenet to do the setup of my drives. You have winecfg starting so wine is installed, its just a config problem. If you would like to try sidenet you can get it here. It can just setup wine, or setup and install ie and or windows media player.
    Do you have your ntfs partition mounted in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz
    I use sidenet to do the setup of my drives. You have winecfg starting so wine is installed, its just a config problem. If you would like to try sidenet you can get it here. It can just setup wine, or setup and install ie and or windows media player.
    Do you have your ntfs partition mounted in Ubuntu?
    my ntfs partition is mounted in Ubuntu

when I try to use sidenet I get the following errors:

Code:
    SETUP STAGE 2
    Setting up default registry ...

Setting up sidenet-spicific configuration ...

Setting up language pack for Language : en ...
    Install prefix is /usr/lib/wine
    Installing MPlayer codec package ...
    Registering MPlayer codec package ...
    Installing true.exe dummy application ...
    Installing ShellLinker ...
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> File Magager
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {00021401-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} not registered
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {00021401-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} could be created for context 0x1
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> Program Magager
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {00021401-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} not registered
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {00021401-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} could be created for context 0x1
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Control Panel
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Application Uninstaller
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Wine Configuration
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Task Manager
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> Accesories -> Notepad
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> Accesories -> Registry Editor
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> Accesories -> Mine Sweeper

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by tzenes
    my ntfs partition is mounted in Ubuntu

when I try to use sidenet I get the following errors:

Ok, so I ran glxinfo and it showed a serious problem with opengl, which I fixed by changing from the vesa driver to fglrx which fixed that problem, however...

I still get this error:
    Code:
    SETUP STAGE 2
    Setting up default registry ...

Setting up sidenet-spicific configuration ...

Setting up language pack for Language : en ...
    Install prefix is /usr/lib/wine
    Installing MPlayer codec package ...
    Registering MPlayer codec package ...
    Installing true.exe dummy application ...
    Installing ShellLinker ...
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> File Magager
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> Program Magager
    err:menubuilder:extract_icon32 found no icon
    err:menubuilder:ExtractFromICO Invalid ico file format
    err:menubuilder:InvokeShellLinker failed to fork and exec wineshelllink
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Control Panel
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Application Uninstaller
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Wine Configuration
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Task Manager
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> Accesories -> Notepad
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> Accesories -> Registry Editor
    Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> Accesories -> Mine Sweeper

however it did fix the
    Code:
    problem when I run winecfg

and even better, notepad works (which I assume is a good sign
    Last edited by tzenes; June 9th, 2006 at 04:52 AM.

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast